#1 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

First off I would like to see Reed Johnson come back for 2012, if the Cubs are headed in a young direction he would be a good veteran player to model the young kids after.

I would also like to see Reed stay with the cubs after he retires like a Kerry Wood deal.

He plays the game hard and never quits.
I think he would make a good coach or manager in the future.

Are there any other Reed Johnson fans out there?

#2 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

I love Reed! I will never forget "the catch" and the look on Dempsters face! It seems like he's always hustling and doesn't hot dog it. I'm definitely a fan!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

He's an adequate 5th outfielder, though his defense on non-highlight film catches is pretty so-so. I'd be fine with him coming back, but I don't think he's worth more than a $600 to $800k deal.

#4 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Reed Johnson is the man. It always seems like he gives everything hes got whenever he plays. And I will never forget the look on Prince Fielders face when Reed robbed him of his 1st career grand slam
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#5 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook:Mark Comparet
  • LocationFort Wayne, In.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

I like Reed a lot too but there may not be enough room if the Cubs are serious about Cepedes and make a play for Sizemore.

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

I like Reed a lot too but there may not be enough room if the Cubs are serious about Cepedes and make a play for Sizemore.

Cepedes wont be at Wrigley until later in the year and it would be good to have a backup plan when Sizemore gets injured. I would love to see Reed get a ST invite again this year and let things shake out from there.

#7 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

I agree

Cepedes wont be at Wrigley until later in the year and it would be good to have a backup plan when Sizemore gets injured. I would love to see Reed get a ST invite again this year and let things shake out from there.

I agree you can invite him to ST but depends on who is out/gets dealt. Assuming Sorryano is shown the road... leaves you with Byrd, Colvin, Jackson, Szczur, Compana, and Sizemore if they can land him. Then the intangibles of experimenting with LaHair and Lake in the OF. I'm not even sure they keep Byrd but you have to think some sort of veteran leadership in the OF from a everyday player is needed.

#8 Diesel

Diesel

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

I agree

I agree you can invite him to ST but depends on who is out/gets dealt. Assuming Sorryano is shown the road... leaves you with Byrd, Colvin, Jackson, Szczur, Compana, and Sizemore if they can land him. Then the intangibles of experimenting with LaHair and Lake in the OF. I'm not even sure they keep Byrd but you have to think some sort of veteran leadership in the OF from a everyday player is needed.

Hey I understand not liking Soriano's hustle or his defense but could we at least respect the man's name by posting it with the proper spelling and not some play on it to show much you dislike him. There is a difference between not liking his play and another to disrespect him as a man. BleacherNation should be a place that is above such things. For the record I don't care too much for Soriano.

#9 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:54 PM

I agree

Hey I understand not liking Soriano's hustle or his defense but could we at least respect the man's name by posting it with the proper spelling and not some play on it to show much you dislike him. There is a difference between not liking his play and another to disrespect him as a man. BleacherNation should be a place that is above such things. For the record I don't care too much for Soriano.

Normally I would apologize if I was wrong and say Sorri, but for someone who fans pay good money to see NO! The injuries are one thing and I can deal with that, but the progressively worse defense there's no excuse it's sorry! I have a picture somewhere of Soriano in the on deck circle he's not paying attention to the game, pitcher, dugout, or his team, he's playing with people in the crowd! If you think my opinion of Soriano is bad you should call me sometime when you have a hour or 2 and catch my thoughts on Errormis Ramrearez! When both are gone from the roster I'm gonna dance a little jig and have a little sip... ...Now back to the regular scheduled program!

#10 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

I agree

Normally I would apologize if I was wrong and say Sorri, but for someone who fans pay good money to see NO! The injuries are one thing and I can deal with that, but the progressively worse defense there's no excuse it's sorry! I have a picture somewhere of Soriano in the on deck circle he's not paying attention to the game, pitcher, dugout, or his team, he's playing with people in the crowd! If you think my opinion of Soriano is bad you should call me sometime when you have a hour or 2 and catch my thoughts on Errormis Ramrearez! When both are gone from the roster I'm gonna dance a little jig and have a little sip... ...Now back to the regular scheduled program!

Haha.

#11 MoneyBoy

MoneyBoy

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

Somewhat long time lurker, first time poster ....

On Soriano ... I don't know how many people are aware of the role McDonough played in the whole affair. Hendry's original offer was 5 yrs. McDonough insisted on making it 8. Had the contract gone through as originally offered Soriano would be off the roster. As a 7th place hitter he gave you fair value offensively - power wise. Defensively - every fly ball was a "hold your breath" event. His knees are shot, his throws are less and less accurate. The Vine Line article this summer was a nice "feel good" piece ... but if it is true that Ricketts has given permission to eat whatever is necessary to move him ... SEE YA.

On RJ ... One long time fan's opinion ... yes, he's a 4th (or 5th) OF ... great guy if BJax is facing a tough LHP. He is a much more affordable option than Byrd, who, with one yr at $6.5mm, can and should be moved in any sort of package.

I can't say this is gospel ... but I heard from someone who I trust on matters relating to the Cubs ... Maddux declined to interview in Boston b/c his wife didn't want to live there and ... it was thought early on that Sveum was the leading candidate. If "family considerations" were indeed a concern it makes no sense to interview in Chicago - although the (obvious) argument could be made Chicago is a much more liveable city than Boston.

As a father of 4 (last being in junior yr in college) it's a nice thought to be home with your two college age kids but geez ... given a chance to manage ... in Chicago? smh

Brett ... admire the work you put into this and the good writing!!!

#12 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

Somewhat long time lurker, first time poster ....

On Soriano ... I don't know how many people are aware of the role McDonough played in the whole affair. Hendry's original offer was 5 yrs. McDonough insisted on making it 8. Had the contract gone through as originally offered Soriano would be off the roster. As a 7th place hitter he gave you fair value offensively - power wise. Defensively - every fly ball was a "hold your breath" event. His knees are shot, his throws are less and less accurate. The Vine Line article this summer was a nice "feel good" piece ... but if it is true that Ricketts has given permission to eat whatever is necessary to move him ... SEE YA.

Brett ... admire the work you put into this and the good writing!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! That fact doesn't get a lot of airing with all the Hendry haters. A couple of bigger contracts were forced against Hendry's wishes to inflate the value of the sale of the team, then to make matters worse MLB basically froze us out of the FA market during the purchase period. Just imagine where we would be if Mark Cuban would have been aloud to purchase the team? Back on RJ, I would be surprised if the majority of teams didn't wait till the 24th hour on signing guys like him... ...

#13 hardtop

hardtop

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City of the Plains

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Climb up on my trusty steed....
i think reed is a very good 4th outfielder. good hustle, good defense, good bat. he's worth a million and id rather have him backing up the OF than colvin or campana.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).