Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

My first Cubs game? (and a belated Mother's Day thought)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 college_of_coaches

college_of_coaches

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

I don't know if this really counts as my first Cubs Game, but on this day in 1970 my father (a big Mets fan) took my mother (kind of a Cubs fan) to see Gary Gentry face Bill Hands.  Gentry took a no-hitter into the 8th before Ernie Banks broke it up with the only Cubs hit of the day, a single.  The temperature was 46, and my dad bought his very-pregnant wife an extra-large Cubs sweatshirt to keep her warm.  Later that evening mom went into labor, and a little over 24 hours later I began my long and illustrious history on this earth.

Dad got a kick out of the fact that I found the box score on the “interweb.”

http://www.baseball-...197005130.shtml

Happy (belated) Mother's Day

#2 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

That's awesome dude.  I actually remember that game... it's gotta be the same one with Banks getting the only hit.  Man, I hated the Mets then. 

I remember my first game - not that eventful, but it also involved Banks.  He homered, the Cubs lost to the Phillies 7-1 on a rainy afternoon.  I was at Cooperstown in the 1990's and at the library at the HOF, they found me a copy of the boxscore for that game.  When I showed my Mom and Dad, my mom just kind of laughed and said, you were at a many games before that -- you just don't remember... some on my lap and some in my belly.  My parents were HUGE Cubs fans.

#3 college_of_coaches

college_of_coaches

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Nice!  I want to take my boy to Cooperstown when he's a bit older.  I have fond memories of our family trip there when I was 14.  My dad was/is a huge baseball fan and would take us to Cubs, White Sox, and even a rare Mets game at old Shea Stadium (boy that place was a shit hole).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).