Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

http://espn.go.com/c...ena-report-says

Most of you have probably already read this article, but if not, thought you'd be interested.  Considering how adamant the city was to not give any money to the Cubs, I thought this was relevant.

- diehard fanclub member #002

#2 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Grumble, I generally don't support state funding for anything but this just burns me up considering the grief the Cubs got. The total cost of/amount of government money that goes toward higher education is the nest biggest scandal in this country.

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I love how this comes out right as the Cubs are trying to push their proposal through the "Chicago" process. 

Let's see; United Center: deemed necessary for taxpayers to fund.  Soldier Field:  upgrades/repairs deemed necessary for taxpayers to fund.  White Sox stadium that nobody goes to: deemed necessary for taxpayers to fund.  New restaurant that costs millions of dollars to go in front of Sox stadium that nobody goes to: deemed worthy of taxpayer money.  New basketball stadium for crappy college team that nobody watches: taxpayers got that shit too.  Cubs want to fund their own upgrades/repairs and bring more money into the city:  we can't let that shit happen, tie them up in the political process for a few years until they go away. 

#4 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

As a taxpayer I have a problem with this especially since the United Center offered to let DePaul play their basketball games at the UC for 10 years, rent free! It's good enough for the Bulls but not good enough for DePaul?! C'mon man!

I want DePaul to return to its glory days of the 70's and 80's as well, but I certainly don't want to pay for the arena if they can play at a world class facility for free.

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

I am glad to report that my friend at DePaul is organizing an on-campus protest of this because she hates all sports other than soccer.

#6 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

I am glad to report that my friend at DePaul is organizing an on-campus protest of this because she hates all sports other than soccer.

That makes sense.  Soccer is by far the most exciting sport on the face of the planet.  I love those big horns and the guy that yells goal.

- diehard fanclub member #002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).