hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

On November 29, 1971, the Cubs traded what pitcher to the Oakland A's, who had won 74 games the previous six seasons, for Rick Monday?

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

The only pitcher I can think of from that time period is Fergie and I don't think he was traded till a few years later and it wasn't to the A's.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Holtzman

#4 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

I don't know if anyone was at the Cubs Fanfest in Cooperstown during Santo's induction weekend, but Beckert, Hundley, Williams, Fergie, and Pat Hughes talked to the crowd (maybe 1,000 people or so?) in sort of a panel discussion format (Ernie Banks also made a brief appearance).  They took turns telling stories about Santo and the teams they played on with him.  One of the things they laughed and talked about were the nicknames they gave each other.  Nobody was referred to by their real names.  For example, Jim Hickman was "Road Apple".  Glenn Beckert was "Bruno".  Randy Hundley was "Rebel".  Billy Williams was "Whistler".  

Trivia question:  What was their nickname for Ken Holtzman?  (Hint:  Beckert said something like, "...we'd never be able to get away with that today. They'd probably throw you in jail now.")

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

I don't know if anyone was at the Cubs Fanfest in Cooperstown during Santo's induction weekend, but Beckert, Hundley, Williams, Fergie, and Pat Hughes talked to the crowd (maybe 1,000 people or so?) in sort of a panel discussion format (Ernie Banks also made a brief appearance).  They took turns telling stories about Santo and the teams they played on with him.  One of the things they laughed and talked about were the nicknames they gave each other.  Nobody was referred to by their real names.  For example, Jim Hickman was "Road Apple".  Glenn Beckert was "Bruno".  Randy Hundley was "Rebel".  Billy Williams was "Whistler".  

Trivia question:  What was their nickname for Ken Holtzman?  (Hint:  Beckert said something like, "...we'd never be able to get away with that today. They'd probably throw you in jail now.")

Holtzman is correct and Niggard (as in a cheap person for people who don't know)?

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Niggard is not correct.  It is sort of in the ballpark though.

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Kuntzman?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Kuntzman?

No. Here's a hint

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Kuntzman?

No. Here's a hint

Now, I don't even want to venture what it probably is.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, some guessing could get kind of dicey.  So I'll just take out the fun and give the answer now.   "Hebe".  That's what they called him.  One rookie actually thought it was his real name.

#11 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Kuntzman?

No. Here's a hint

I have no idea about any of the answers, but I noticed that the stats listed on Spriggs's link show that Holtzman pitched for the Rockies and won 5 games with a 4.81 ERA in 2007 at the age of 61! By comparison, Jamie Moyer is a youngster. 

(I assume the stats in the link for 2006-2008 are an error.)

#12 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yeah, some guessing could get kind of dicey.  So I'll just take out the fun and give the answer now.   "Hebe".  That's what they called him.  One rookie actually thought it was his real name.

Good call. No need in everybody throwing out Jewish slurs all over the place.

That is funny about the rookie though. Any idea who the idiot was?

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#13 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Kuntzman?

No. Here's a hint

I have no idea about any of the answers, but I noticed that the stats listed on Spriggs's link show that Holtzman pitched for the Rockies and won 5 games with a 4.81 ERA in 2007 at the age of 61! By comparison, Jamie Moyer is a youngster. 

Wow... hadn't noticed.  No idea where those come from, but clearly some kind of an error as he wasn't pitching then.  He was completely done when he came back to the Cubs in 1978!

#14 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Good call. No need in everybody throwing out Jewish slurs all over the place.

That is funny about the rookie though. Any idea who the idiot was?

I don't know.  Hundley called him a rookie at the time and said he would go "unnamed".  But it sounded like someone we would know. 

#15 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Kuntzman?

No. Here's a hint

Wow... hadn't noticed.  No idea where those come from, but clearly some kind of an error as he wasn't pitching then.  He was completely done when he came back to the Cubs in 1978!

FWIW, Those are Jason Hirsh's Stats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).