19 replies to this topic

#16 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, some guessing could get kind of dicey.  So I'll just take out the fun and give the answer now.   "Hebe".  That's what they called him.  One rookie actually thought it was his real name.

I was completely unaware that was a derogatory name, slur, slander.  Am I wrong for using the term "Heebee Jeebies"?

#17 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, some guessing could get kind of dicey.  So I'll just take out the fun and give the answer now.   "Hebe".  That's what they called him.  One rookie actually thought it was his real name.

I was completely unaware that was a derogatory name, slur, slander.  Am I wrong for using the term "Heebee Jeebies"?

I'm pretty sure that "Hebe/Heeb" is a derivation of Hebrew.  I think of all the Jewish slurs that it ranks pretty low on the offensiveness list.  I'm fairly certain there was even a magazine called Hebe that was kinda like a Maxim for young jews.

"Heebie Jeebies", meaning nervous jitters or fright, emerged from vaudeville/traveling comedy acts at the early part of the 1910s/20s, I believe.  There's no evidence that it has anything to do with the jewish slur.  You're in the clear, Stinky!

#18 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that "Hebe/Heeb" is a derivation of Hebrew.  I think of all the Jewish slurs that it ranks pretty low on the offensiveness list.  I'm fairly certain there was even a magazine called Hebe that was kinda like a Maxim for young jews.

"Heebie Jeebies", meaning nervous jitters or fright, emerged from vaudeville/traveling comedy acts at the early part of the 1910s/20s, I believe.  There's no evidence that it has anything to do with the jewish slur.  You're in the clear, Stinky!

Whew!  That's good.  Cuz them Jews give me....

(JUST KIDDING!!  CALM DOWN!)

#19 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Whew!  That's good.  Cuz them Jews give me....

(JUST KIDDING!!  CALM DOWN!)

We wouldn't be offended.  You're a Hispanic Jew yourself, Stinky.  That is YOU in your profile pic, isn't it?

- diehard fanclub member #002

#20 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

My uber racist guido stepbrother uses that term.  I've learned so many ethnic slurs from the man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).