Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

I am 44 years old, and I like to think that I am always looking to improve and get better...at anything in life. Knowing Brett the little that I do, I can tell you that Brett has impeccable character and has a high drive to get better everyday...and he is much, much younger than me.

As I have gotten older, I realize this is what successful people do...they take responsibility, they don't make excuses, and they always do the right thing. In my job as a teacher/ coach you would not believe the way some kids are raised to blame everyone but themselves...excuse kings...it is unreal.

Brett does things the right way...and that is why BN is successful.

As a footnote though Brett...Dude, don't beat yourself up so much!

#2 college_of_coaches

college_of_coaches

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

Nice post.  Brett, I want to reiterate the last point (Chris's footnote), don't beat yourself up over this.  You've constructed a beautiful thing with this blog.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

Well said I've been too busy to keep up with everything- the final few weeks of a school year are exhausting for us teachers- and I agree with Chris 100% (dare I say 110%) Brett is not only highly talented at what he does but he has the scrappiness, belly fire, and chemistry to be highly successfully. The fact that he has never NEVER taken more than a day off (including the birth of his children, family vacations, funerals, mental health days, and hangovers) is absolutely amazing.

I honestly didn't see a great need to apologize Brett ran with a story that appeared newsworthy and the parties involved quickly denied everything (like duh of course they did), the original piece had all the caveats most journalist ignore, and instead of just deleting the story he had the integrity to keep the story and offered an apology- a classy move.

So Brett keep up the great work, don't be afraid to trust your instincts, and keep doing exactly what you've always done- BE AWESOME, haters be hating, keep the belly fire strong, the Stashe of Tidrow is proud of you!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

Oh and Chris I'm right there with you about students being Excuse Kings.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

It is very easy to assume an anonymous internet personna (filthy old puppet as an example) and then spew random crap with your friends.  It is altogether different to put yourself out there and attempt to be taken seriously.  This is why Ace had to die.  The site has certainly evolved over the years.

This is where I would normally throw a little good natured jab at Brett, but since he is taking this hard, I will pass this time.

Brett, I don't really blame you for that story, but it is refreshing to see anyone stand up and take responsibility for anything these days.  I think the real problem with the whole story is symptomatic of our society's need to know everything immediately.  Everyone one wants the latest scoop five minutes ago.  I think one of the most important lessons from this whole episode is this:  Twitter is without a doubt the most unreliable source in the universe.

Brett, mistakes can happen, but your fielding percentage is still .998.  If we could just raise your OPS a little, you could have the 2nd base job.

Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:01 AM

Man Phil you have been missed buddy- there are only a few of us that do the early morning shift. Welcome back you filthy puppet. And Brett already has the Scrap & Belly Fire to start 2B for the Cubs.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

Yo Bert I was huffing paint thinner with some homeless people under the bridge and Dick Tidrow was there and said he was coming out of retirement to help fix the bullpen situation.  Maybe that was part of dirty Terry's rant about HAARP.

kidding aside, it was a classy move when I think somebody like Skip Bayless would puff his chest out and insist that he's a paragon of the truth or some bullshit.  I haven't watched ESPN in years so I can't remember half the garbage he spouts.

#8 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

How this whole thing played out is why I read this site. As someone who evaluates people through a selection process it is refreshing to see this level of integrity. How sad is that? Keep up the good work, learn from this and move on Brett. You have a great product, like everyone else said, dont beat yourself up.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks for the kind words, all.

#10 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,940 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Props to you for leaving the initial story up. Some, less spinally-able people would have simply deleted it and offered a couple words if someone asked about it.

On one hand, I can see the reaction behind it. You posted a rumor from Twitter with grainy photos on the site and said that Marmol probably said "XYZ". For stupid people out there, they will read that as "ZOMG BRETT IS SAYING THAT MARMOL IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF DOG POOP EVER AND DOESN'T LOVE BEING A CUBS FAN SO I HATE HIM NOW".

On the other, while you are striving to be taken seriously as a journalist, this is part of the internet. Posting information, with appropriate caveats, when you get the information and letting the reader make the decision. It is one thing that I have loved about BN is that most everything that is public gets discussed.

I am not sure who was blasting you or what they were saying, but that Marmol article yesterday is part of what has made BN so great, that there is no lens that Cubs news/rumors/crap gets filtered through and everything is up for discussion. It isn't the "traditional media" way of doing it but the times are a changin' and if they don't get that, I will say this as politely as I can (and this is mostly directed at the newspaper and ESPN guys):

THEY CAN GO FLY A KITE.

#11 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I agree with everyone else.  This is the type of story that appears all of the time in politics and in a day or two it will be forgotten by most.  The story posted was not unreasonable and makes sense with treatment Marmol has been getting from the fans and the fact that the front office is known to want to trade him that him and his agent would be talking about likely destinations.  The story had a source with pictures of so they can not deny the meeting happened.  Also, once the twitter posts were made the story was public so Marmol would of been asked about the comments weather nor not you posted an article on BN website.

#12 DarthHater

DarthHater

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Props to you for leaving the initial story up. Some, less spinally-able people would have simply deleted it and offered a couple words if someone asked about it.

On one hand, I can see the reaction behind it. You posted a rumor from Twitter with grainy photos on the site and said that Marmol probably said "XYZ". For stupid people out there, they will read that as "ZOMG BRETT IS SAYING THAT MARMOL IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF DOG POOP EVER AND DOESN'T LOVE BEING A CUBS FAN SO I HATE HIM NOW".

On the other, while you are striving to be taken seriously as a journalist, this is part of the internet. Posting information, with appropriate caveats, when you get the information and letting the reader make the decision. It is one thing that I have loved about BN is that most everything that is public gets discussed.

I am not sure who was blasting you or what they were saying, but that Marmol article yesterday is part of what has made BN so great, that there is no lens that Cubs news/rumors/crap gets filtered through and everything is up for discussion. It isn't the "traditional media" way of doing it but the times are a changin' and if they don't get that, I will say this as politely as I can (and this is mostly directed at the newspaper and ESPN guys):

THEY CAN GO FLY A KITE.

I agree and think this is very well said.  I also think the "traditional media" just love when something like this happens, because it gives them a chance to jump all over a representative of the "new media" by which they are threatened and to try to co-opt said new media by insisting that they, too, must play by the traditional media's rules.

#13 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think it's great that he issued the apology, but I am in the boat that says it wasn't needed.  He clearly put out several precursors to the story, and explained his shaky source pretty thoroughly.  That said, besides the obvious denial by Marmol and his agent, we have nothing but their word to go on that the stuff cited in the original story isn't true.  What if Marmol actually does get traded, and has really asked his way out of town due to losing the closer spot?  Does everyone turn around and pat Brett on the back telling him how nice of a job he did? Almost definitely no.  Bottom line, I've read false reports, and mis-reported facts, and poorly sourced and cited  quotes from everyone of the major sports writers that cover the Cubs since Theo took over, and not once has anyone but Brett come out and tried to make amends for posting misleading info.  If you ask me, Brett has more integrity than all of the Cubs beat writers combined. 

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'll chime in when I see something that I don't agree with.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#15 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'll chime in when I see something that I don't agree with.

Hah!

I was pleasantly reminded of what site this truely is when I found, as Joe noted, the original stuff is still here for me to check out. That's quality. (I felt like Phil, and I was only away from my keyboard for 12 hours; "Anything happen while I was gone?" when I checked stuff this AM)  

My other thought was, not necessarily in this case (I repeat, not necessarily in this case) how often agents or others use writers to get (perhaps false) stories out, apply pressure, move a negotiating line, float an idea, 'run something up the flagpole' without getting their own fingerprints on it.

I suppose when a writer is used this way, it is sort of a right of passage for him. Some survive it, some parlay it, some simply and powerfully carry on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).