TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

If you ask me, Brett has more integrity than all of the Cubs beat writers combined. 

I agree with this, but Ace's job is much different than theirs, insofar as Ace's credibility is entirely a function of his own history and accessibility.  The beat writers all have organizations standing behind and/or propping them up (Trib, mlb.com, ESPN, Sun-Times, etc.).  All Ace has are his articles.

Which makes his presence on the scene, and as we saw yesterday, his impact on the scene, that much more remarkable.  Even being "wrong" can lead to gaining credibility.

As I said on the front page I think the apology was unnecessary, but not surprising.  Over the years that I've been visiting BN, I've seen Ace to be a very self-critical guy with a penchant to be more self-aware than is probably necessary.  (Of course, it's not my website with my name on the line, so who am I to say what is or what isn't necessary?)  I think at the very least it's a trait of his that while I might not applaud, I can certainly accept as part of his character -- as such, it's become a rather endearing foible from my point of view.  (Honestly: no condescension intended.)  We saw the same (over-)self-reflection with the Fernando Perez saga (lulz) and the "Matt Garza doesn't like my tweets!" episode(s).  It's Ace.  That's how he operates.  Knowing that, and seeing him struggle with that, makes him both more human and more accessible to his readers.  It'd be really easy to be cynical about that, and lob balloons full of "you're just a manipulating bullshitter!" in his direction, but that ain't Ace.  Which is what makes BN cool.

#17 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

I forgot all about the Perez saga... see how quickly everything is forgotten.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#18 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Can't wait until Mr. Puckerpants chimes in on this saga

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#19 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

how often agents or others use writers to get (perhaps false) stories out, apply pressure, move a negotiating line, float an idea, 'run something up the flagpole' without getting their own fingerprints on it.

I wonder, did the guy who errorneously broke the "CUBS SIGN ANIBAL SANCHEZ" story issue a written apology?

#20 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

how often agents or others use writers to get (perhaps false) stories out, apply pressure, move a negotiating line, float an idea, 'run something up the flagpole' without getting their own fingerprints on it.

I wonder, did the guy who errorneously broke the "CUBS SIGN ANIBAL SANCHEZ" story issue a written apology?

Heh.

#21 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

No, and neither did Carlos Marmol when he broke the Haren trade on his twitter account.  Pretty funny turn of events if you ask me. 

#22 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Still appreciating your thoughts, by the way.

#23 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

I agree with everything that has been posted. Brett, keep up the good work. You're too hard on yourself. Anyone who's whining about the article can get dicked in the dick.

A big hug to you too, Brett.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#24 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I agree with everything that has been posted. Brett, keep up the good work. You're too hard on yourself. Anyone who's whining about the article can get dicked in the dick.

Heh.  You said "hard on".

#25 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Heh.  You said "hard on".

Heh. Heh heh hehehehehe. Hard on.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#26 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Here is my random post for the month. Enjoy! :D

And yeah, yeah Brett is cool and such. ;) :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).