Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

Okay, so let me get this straight. There are Tim Tebow/Denver Bronco fans that are getting custom made Bronco #15 jerseys with "Jesus" on the back instead of Tebow. I am confused by this. Are they saying that Tebow is comparable to Jesus as a football player? If that is the case I am sure Jesus had a stronger arm. Are they saying that Tebow's ability is "God-like"? If that's the case, then what the hell(probably a poor word choice) does Aaron Rodgers get on the back of his jersey? "The God of Superman"? "God on Steroids"? "Supreme Master of the Universe"?

Religion is a touchy subject. I don't believe in denying anyone their faith if it helps them get through the trials of life. (except for Snake Handlers, I don't trust those turkeys) So please don't view this as a knock on Christianity, I just want to know what it is supposed to mean? John Lennon was crucified(probably another poor word choice) by many in the Christian community for saying that the Beatles were more important than religion to many kids in the 60's. His comments were considered so offfensive, they burned Beatle albums in the streets!( dumbies, they would be worth a pretty penny on Ebay today) Isn't putting the name "Jesus" on the back of a marginally talented( 2-8 69 yards) QB at least a bit offensive?

Enough social commenting, now my connection to the Cubs. What kind of Cub jeresy ideas with alternative names on the back could we make along the same lines? Religious figures, historical figures, nicknames....I would like to hear some suggestions. So I will give just a couple, then feel free to post some, or just completely ignore this post if you are offended, or not entertained by this idea. Warning, some of mine are a bit obscure.

Saint Ronnie #10
Crazy-Eyes Killa #38
Ishtar #12
Messiah #13(baseball ability only,no religious overtones)
Tragic #22
Fraud #21
Nostradamus #30
Vanilla Ice (choice of many #'s, too many Cub one-hit wonders to mention)......

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

I'm always amused when players thank God, Jesus! or Jobu after winning a game, are pro athletes so narcissistic that they think god ignored the billions of other issues in the world to make them win. And if god is the reason that teams win then why don't players blame Satan when they lose. "I first want to blame Satan for causing me to throw 4 interceptions"

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

Exactly MG! Also why do the voices in people's head always tell them to chop up their families into itty bitty pieces instead of working in soup kitchens?
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#4 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hmmm I hope we don't see Cerano I mean Soriano crucifying any live chickens next year!

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

Hmmm I hope we don't see Cerano I mean Soriano crucifying any live chickens next year!

If it will get him to stop swinging at sliders two feet off the plate, I could live with a few less chickens.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

MG, Satan is not really a sports fan. He tends to dabble more in the buying, selling, and collecting of souls from 70's and 80's Rock Bands.

#7 FratRat

FratRat

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@rcpikeboy

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Satan doesn't like sports only because his choice in uniform number, 666, won't fit onto the back of any jerseys...............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).