Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Twitter:@chrisfchi
  • LocationHiding somewhere in soxland

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

I've never been too much of a numbers guy, and honestly would judge players on what I seen on the field. Are there any simple resources out there that I can use to understand all these new stats out there? Alot of times when I read thru the threads, I get lost with all the different numbers thrown out there. Any help would be appreciated, I would like to contribute more than just saying "Marmol sucks, trade him for beer and hotdogs"

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

I've never been too much of a numbers guy, and honestly would judge players on what I seen on the field. Are there any simple resources out there that I can use to understand all these new stats out there? Alot of times when I read thru the threads, I get lost with all the different numbers thrown out there. Any help would be appreciated, I would like to contribute more than just saying "Marmol sucks, trade him for beer and hotdogs"

Buy The Book.  It's awesome, and dense.  Then start reading Fangraphs.  Daily.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

There is a pretty good glossary on fangraphs that can get you going fairly quickly as well. Different people will have their own "pet" stats that they lean on. The first one I always look at for a hitter is wRC+. It's based off of wOBA and is weighted.

http://www.fangraphs...ry/offense/wrc/

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

thanks guys. im sure there are others out there like me, and hopefully i can gain a better understanding of what the hell all these numbers mean!

i bookmarked the fangraphs page. nice starting off point.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

thanks guys. im sure there are others out there like me, and hopefully i can gain a better understanding of what the hell all these numbers mean!

i bookmarked the fangraphs page. nice starting off point.

The way that the first chapter of The Book explains how wOBA developed is really great.  Discusses things like run expectancy and base/out states.  Honestly, if you only make it through the first chapter of The Book, you'll be really well set.  (But the platooning chapter is really great, too.)

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

To add to what TWC said, Bill James created the original RC which was later improved upon and the wRC was born created by Tom Tango and based off of wOBA. wRC+ is park and league adjusted and compares players with 100 being league average. So, if you have a 110 then you are 10% better than league average.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 Chrisfchi

Chrisfchi

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

i ordered it, should be some good reading while at work. pitching is my personal preference, always hard to judge if the guy has the stuff or not.

#8 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

I echo TWC's "The Book" comments. The first chapter is grand and through explaining the process of creating wOBA will help you with some of the logic behind evaluating player statistics. I read it and was hooked.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).