Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

I am writing this based on a link that Dave Kaplan just tweeted out...

Fifteen years ago today, the Mets acquired Mike Piazza from the Marlins. Apparently the Cubs could have had Piazza and Todd Zeille but were reluctant to A) Re-acquire Zeille and his $3.5 million salary and B) give up their top catching prospect and top pitching prospect for the "rental" of Mike Piazza. Andy McPhail states in the article from 1998 that the team would find better ways to improve.

Oh, and those prospects the Cubs refused to give up...catcher Pat Cline and pitcher Todd Noel.

Yes...old guys like me remember Cline and Noel, but I think two months of Piazza for a team(the '98 Cubs) that did make the play-offs would have been worth the sorry-ass careers these two had.

At least McPhail does warrant his own reason in my book...

Thanks again for all who have purchased, and a gentle, kind reminder to give a fair and honest review on Amazon if you have the chance.

Follow me @oswegochris23 or @BBCG104Reasons

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I remember that as well the Cubs throughout the history (as your book highlights) over values prospects and don't trade them until the value is zero. One of the ways I will judge Theo & Co. is how they handle trading prospects in the next few years.

This also reminds me how close we were supposedly to signing Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez - I might be confused but I thought he was ready to sign but the FO decided he wasn't worth the contract and wanted to go with the catchers they already had.  

Oh and Chris once the school year is done I'll finally finish the book... you know end of year craziness for us teachers.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Yes...every school is a powder keg the last few weeks of the year...I always thought maybe we should just not tell them when the last day is...just keep it a secret...and then randomly say...you're done...

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Are you referring to Damian Miller?  I was a big Miller fan tbh, but he's no Pudge

#5 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

When I first made the leap into obsessive baseball fandom, I believe Pat Cline was the first Cubs prospect I became aware of. I guess that would make him the very first of many top prospects to gradually turn my optimistic smiles into casual eye rolls.

- die hard fanclub member #001

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).