Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Is this the most important draft pick ever?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Okay entering grades is boring and tedious and so I put this comment on the main page and curious how everyone else is thinking about the importance of this #2 Overall Draft pick.

This pick might be the most important pick the Cubs have ever made. With the new CBA changing how teams are drafting, how teams are extending young players, and combine that with how LA has shown every team that you can’t buy a playoff caliber team. The Cubs can’t let this number two pick turn into a bust. They shouldn’t have another early pick like this with the Astros and Marlins spending a MiLB payroll on their MLB roster. This is the highest pick that the Cubs will have for years.

If this pick busts it puts the rebuild plan a step back. I’m really hoping for Bryant because of the success rate of 80-power players, but if the FO believes that the rating is correct then so be it. But if any of the players picked after the Cubs turns into the next All-Star then this draft will be another black eye on the Cubs and this FO. Picks will bust, they all can’t be stars, but this pick cannot be a bust.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

I think the fact that this isn't even a crazy conversation underscores just how important the pick is.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think the fact that this isn't even a crazy conversation underscores just how important the pick is.

Thats what I thought after I started to think about it... if the was the CBA before the current CBA I wouldn't care if this pick would have bust because we'd just overspend on the rest of the draft to get talent, but that strategy is now gone.  I really wonder how everyone will look at this CBA and the hard slotting in 10+ years.  Its changed more than I think people think.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think the entire draft may be...here is my rationale

I think the starting rotation as constituted is good enough to contend next year...and if the Cubs feel the influx of talent this year is good enough, then we may actually be in a buying mode over the winter, and be able to pick up a couple vital bullpen arms or hitters...

I mean, really....if the Cubs had gotten Grilli this winter, and maybe one more bat their record may be reversed....

so we need a great class of 2013...pick 41 is as important...

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

.so we need a great class of 2013...pick 32 is just as important...

Good point, what is really important is that this draft produces 2-3 prospects that get highly ranked and either making it to the show or are valuable enough for the Cubs to use in a trade.  But if this number two pick becomes a bust or just a replacement level player then the FO takes the a serious dent in the armor.  If they pick Grey and Bryant goes three and turns into a All-Star this draft will never be forgotten and the organization just took a huge leap backwards.  This #2 player really needs to make a wave for the Cubs and great draft could put us into a Top 10 farm system.  This time next year Theo & Co. will really get graded on how Almora and this #2 pick are doing.  I hope it is all praise and squeals.  I hope I hope I hope.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Okay...just did some reading...I want Gray...

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Since you're a coach I'd like to hear what you read that gave you that thought

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'd say the biggest needs would be (in order)

SP

C

OF

RP (assuming that some of the AA/AAA starters convert to reliever)

3B (if they move Baez here, then it drops below middle infield)

2B

SS

1B

and we have to draft accordingly, though I wouldn't mind we go the "best available player" route in the first couple rounds since they'd be more useful trading chips

#9 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

I hope we get Karsten Whitson with the #32 pick. I think that this year's and next year's entire draft class's successes are critical.

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Since you're a coach I'd like to hear what you read that gave you that thought

Oh Chris I just re-read this and it sounds sarcastic... its not I'm really looking for why some people are bigger on some players than others.  All I'm going on is that Bryant was given that 80-power rating and I've been fascinated by it ever since.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'd say the biggest needs would be (in order)

SP

C

OF

RP (assuming that some of the AA/AAA starters convert to reliever)

3B (if they move Baez here, then it drops below middle infield)

2B

SS

1B

and we have to draft accordingly, though I wouldn't mind we go the "best available player" route in the first couple rounds since they'd be more useful trading chips

Maybe but when it takes a least 3 years for most players to make it through the minors I just don't see any reason to draft for position outside of Pitcher or Positional.  Many of these draftees might never play the positional they did in HS/College so drafting players based on hitting/pitching tools make the most sense.  You never know how Free Agency, trades, or current prospects will look in 3-5 years.  Draft for skills not for position.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I should note that I was going off the minor league system in general, and not the MLB roster.

#13 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

The Cubs' front office has expressed their displeasure at the lack of catching depth in the organization. Obviously, the Cubs chose last year to use the strategy of choosing a positional player, pitching, a catcher and then nothing but pitchers. I think that strategy may be useful again this year, but I think there were stronger 1st round positional players last year, i.e., Correa, Buxton, Zunino, Almora, Dahl, Russell, Checchini, Hawkins, etc...

If drafting pitchers in bulk because they can sprout up from a 3rd-6th round pick and become aces at the MLB Level (I'm rooting for my hometown boy, Justin Amlung, Go UofL!), then that would make sense as a front office strategy. Whereas, position-wise, look at the talent just from last year's draft and where they are at now in their organization. I'm sure slot money has a lot to do with it, too. So it varies with each organization.

I think we'll pick 1 of 3 players #2: Appel; Gray; or Bryant.

I think we'll pick Covey, Thurman, Balog, or Knebel with our 2nd pick.

I think we'll pick the switch-hitting catcher Knapp if he's still available for our 3rd pick. Maybe Paul O'Neil's nephew if a catcher is unavailable.

And then, SIGN ALL THE PITCHERS!!!

#14 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

All I read was that Gray has been throwing upper 90s late in starts...his slider is a plus pitch...and that his change up could develop nicely...extremely high ceiling...Appell doesn't miss bats as much...and please no hitter..

#15 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

From what I've read about the main 3 prospects, I'd take Bryant.  If the 80 power is true and the front office thinks he has the batting eye to hit for a decent average and take balls, then you have to take the power bat.  If the cubs luck out and end up with a loaded at a certain position then they can trade a high prospect for a pitcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).