Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Is this the most important draft pick ever?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

This is the most important draft in franchise history.  

That said, on June 10 the 2014 draft will be the most important in franchise history.

#17 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

This is the most important draft in franchise history.  

That said, on June 10 the 2014 draft will be the most important in franchise history.

Yeah I thought the same thing but we won't have this high a pick next year and the FO needs this player to be successful. A bust with the number two pick in the new CBA just can't be a typical Cubs draft pick. This pick will be part of Theo's legacy... Or maybe I'm just looking for drama after teaching Shakespeare.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#18 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

I might be the only person on the internet who feels this way, but I disagree. The farm system, though struggling at the moment in a lot of places, is still pretty strong. The core on the major league team isn't terrible and could sort-of contend next season with a few good moves. If the #2 pick comes through and is a star, it's a great thing for the team and could push them over the top in a few years, but if he totally busts it's not like it sets the organization back half a decade.

If the talent available at the front-end of the draft were exceptional, I'm sure I'd feel differently, but a lot of writers have regularly said that there are no superstars in this draft. Appel profiles as a good 2, but not an Ace. Gray has more upside but a significantly lower floor and needs a lot to go right for him to reach Appel's rather reachable ceiling. Bryant might be a 30 homer guy, but he's much more likely to end up in a corner outfield spot than 3B and hasn't seen much quality pitching yet, calling even more questions about his hit tool into the discussion. Not one of these guys is a 6 WAR+ guy, a monster impact player that changes the course of a team's history. They're all likely going to be good ballplayers, but a team of the Cubs' financial standing can go get 4 win players. If the Cubs hit at the top of this draft, awesome fantastic great to see it, but it's not going to derail their progress if they do not.

#19 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

I agree with Tommy.  It's an important pick, but if the Cubs hit on someone in a later round that turns into a multi-time all-star, it probably doesn't mean all that much if they miss on the top pick.  Like Tommy said, there are too many other avenues for the Cubs to add to their team to have one draft pick hold overly significant meaning. 

#20 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

I can't wait!

image.png

#21 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

I might be the only person on the internet who feels this way, but I disagree. The farm system, though struggling at the moment in a lot of places, is still pretty strong. The core on the major league team isn't terrible and could sort-of contend next season with a few good moves.

Exactly.  The Cubs don't need a great draft to rebuild a farm system.  They need a good draft keep talent pumping into that farm system.

The system is in pretty good shape.  That said, three or four bad drafts in a row will gut it.

#22 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have a few questions about Appel.  I'm not as on board as I should be, I guess.  My concern about Appel is that he has never really had the success in college to match his big reputation.  The Ks and the ERA were nothing very special.   

That is until this year.  So my question is, what changed?  One thing we know is that his age changed.  As a senior, is his domination somewhat related to his advanced age relative to the average college player?  If you don't think that's not a big factor in his improvement, then what is?  Did he make some underlying changes somewhere? Is he just finally being more aggressive? What gives here?  I am afraid that when the age factor levels out again, so will his success. 

So please tell me why I'm wrong and why I should be on the Appel bandwagon.  Right now, if I had to chose, it would be Bryant.  I wish I was more comfortable with the chances of Appel or Gray being future MLB aces.

#23 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Right now, it seems as though Houston is going to pick Gray. It has been suggested that Appel will ask/demand (however you want to view/argue it) to be put on the 40-man and get a September call up, either this year or next (I don't know which). With that being said, say, if we choose Appel and dominates in September of this year, does that guarantee him a rotation spot for next year? Do we become buyers in the off season?

#24 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

this article has me completely sold on drafting Bryant no matter who else is available: 

http://sportsillustr...1596/index.html

#25 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't mind if we take one of the other two players, just please not Appel.  That guy screams overrated and bust.  If he does well, I will be the first to admit my mistake.  I really don't want the Cubs to be screwed because of Boras' ego.  I can't imagine how a contract negotiation between Boras and Theo would be.

#26 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

I hope we get Karsten Whitson with the #32 pick. I think that this year's and next year's entire draft class's successes are critical.

That would be amazing since the Yankees have the 32nd pick. 

#27 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Right now, it seems as though Houston is going to pick Gray. It has been suggested that Appel will ask/demand (however you want to view/argue it) to be put on the 40-man and get a September call up, either this year or next (I don't know which). With that being said, say, if we choose Appel and dominates in September of this year, does that guarantee him a rotation spot for next year? Do we become buyers in the off season?

Everything that I am reading says that Houston is going to surprise people with their pick.  I'm guessing it's going to be Moran at an underslot, so that they can use a  similar strategy to last year. 

#28 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Everything that I am reading says that Houston is going to surprise people with their pick.  I'm guessing it's going to be Moran at an underslot, so that they can use a  similar strategy to last year. 

Quick question: If everyone is saying it is it really a surprise? Also, am I the only one who hopes the Cardinals pick Moran just for the irony?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#29 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Quick question: If everyone is saying it is it really a surprise? Also, am I the only one who hopes the Cardinals pick Moran just for the irony?

I guess it's only a surprise in that they might not be taking the best available player with the top pick, again.

#30 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

We have a pretty good core of young, positional players:

OF John Andreoli

OF Jae-Hoon Ha

OF Rock Shoulders

OF Rubi Silva

OF Jorge Soler

OF Matt Szczur

IF Anthony Giansanti

2B Logan Watkins

3B Stephen Bruno

3B Dustin Geiger

SS Javier Baez

SS Arismendy Alcantara

C Chadd Krist

C Rafael Lopez

Half of these guys could plausibly make the 40-man roster next year (Soler, Szczur, and Watkins already are).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).