Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Who do you want the Cubs to pick in the second and later rounds of the draft?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Everybody might be talking about who to pick with the #2 pick right now, but I think the rounds besides the 1st round are just as important. Right now I want a college catcher or a high upside prep arm in the 2nd round. I would love to get Karsten Whitson on an overslot deal in the 3rd round especially if we pick a college catcher in the 2nd.

Anybody you guys would love to get after our first rounder?

#2 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Anybody think that Whitson won't slip to the 3rd round?

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

If he slips that far, he probably won't sign.  He turned down over $2 mil as the 9th overall pick with the Padres.  I think he'd rather come back after taking a medical redshirt and proving he's a first round talent.  I agree with you on taking a catcher, but it doesn't have to be a college player.  i'd rather take somebody with the highest upside.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Dick Tidrow's bastard children... there has to be few out there  :huh:

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

What would their Game Of Thrones "bastard names" be? Mustache, Dirt....

I want he Cubs to draft any guys that throw in the mid 90s with every pick

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

Mid 90s with every pick would be great, but I just want them to be able to hit the side of a barn as well. Previous FOs have had a history of only looking at stuff and not worrying about control. It's about time to start drafting with pitch location in mind (from pitchers and positional players).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

What do you guys think of Kent Emmanuel? What round do you think he might go?

#8 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

If he slips that far, he probably won't sign.  He turned down over $2 mil as the 9th overall pick with the Padres.  I think he'd rather come back after taking a medical redshirt and proving he's a first round talent.  I agree with you on taking a catcher, but it doesn't have to be a college player.  i'd rather take somebody with the highest upside.

You think we might be able to snag Jeremy Martinez in the second round instead of a college catcher?

#9 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I like him, and think he could be a second round pick (Carolina biased), but probably not for the Cubs. If he's there in the third round, maybe?

#10 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I like him, and think he could be a second round pick (Carolina biased), but probably not for the Cubs. If he's there in the third round, maybe?
How much of a chance is there that Emmanuel drops to the 3rd? I love his fastball-change up combo.

#11 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

How much of a chance is there that Emmanuel drops to the 3rd? I love his fastball-change up combo.

Hard to say. I know scouts don't love his stuff, but I'm with you on the change-up. Dude really knows how to pitch. Also, he's kind of had a rough couple of weeks. Don't know how important it is to leave a good taste in the scouts mouths right before the draft.

#12 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

It would be great if we trade for a competitive balance pick.

#13 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Cubs best case draft scenario (rounds 1-6)with a competitive balance pick.

Round 1: Jonathan Gray SP

Round 2: Sean Manea SP

Competitive Balance Pick: Karsten Whitson SP

Round 3: Kent Emmanuel SP ( if Jeremy Martinez C somehow drops here we pick him)

Round 4: Brian Naverreto C or Stuart Turner C (if they are not there which is very likely then I hope they pick college catcher Andrew Knapp C )

Round 5: Christian Arroyo HS SS

Round 6: Jacoby Jones OF

Probably none of these guys get picked by the Cubs, but I think a draft class that's pitching favored with lot's of upside would be the Cubs' best scenario.

#14 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Pretty sure Stanek will be long gone by the Cobs pick in the second, but there are two other Razorback pitchers that should be around on day two; Barrett Astin and Colby Suggs.  Astin more than likely projects as a 4/5 starter or long guy from the pen, where as Suggs most likely projects as a set up or closer type.

Randall Fant is a senior that night even go undrafted or way late that might stick as a lefty out of the pen as well.

That's about all UofA had this year was pitching, they hit with RISP worse than the Cubs.

#15 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Barret Astin is an 7th/ 8th round guy IMO

Pretty sure Stanek will be long gone by the Cobs pick in the second, but there are two other Razorback pitchers that should be around on day two; Barrett Astin and Colby Suggs.  Astin more than likely projects as a 4/5 starter or long guy from the pen, where as Suggs most likely projects as a set up or closer type.

Randall Fant is a senior that night even go undrafted or way late that might stick as a lefty out of the pen as well.

That's about all UofA had this year was pitching, they hit with RISP worse than the Cubs.

Arkansas alumini / fan? Luck for you because Colby Suggs will probably be there in the 3rd round and Barret Astin is definitely going to be there in the 6th / 7nth round. I have not heard much about this Randall Fant kid since he got drafted by the Indians in the 29th round, but he will be there in the 15th round as an underslot guy.
I don't think they are Cubs targets because of their low upsides, but I could see the Cubs pick Suggs and Astin up if they fall, say to the 6th round for Suggs and maybe the 10nth round for Astin. In addition we I think we could pick up Fant if he falls to the 20th round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).