Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Who do you want the Cubs to pick in the second and later rounds of the draft?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

If he slips that far, he probably won't sign.  He turned down over $2 mil as the 9th overall pick with the Padres.  I think he'd rather come back after taking a medical redshirt and proving he's a first round talent.  I agree with you on taking a catcher, but it doesn't have to be a college player.  i'd rather take somebody with the highest upside.

You think we might be able to snag Jeremy Martinez in the second round instead of a college catcher?

I'm not a scout and I haven't seen any video so I can't really comment on that

#17 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Barret Astin is an 7th/ 8th round guy IMO

Pretty sure Stanek will be long gone by the Cobs pick in the second, but there are two other Razorback pitchers that should be around on day two; Barrett Astin and Colby Suggs.  Astin more than likely projects as a 4/5 starter or long guy from the pen, where as Suggs most likely projects as a set up or closer type.

Randall Fant is a senior that night even go undrafted or way late that might stick as a lefty out of the pen as well.

That's about all UofA had this year was pitching, they hit with RISP worse than the Cubs.

Arkansas alumini / fan?

no / yes

Actually went to college at Arkansas State, and I agree with the round projections you have there.

#18 Starwin Bastro

Starwin Bastro

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:Ransom4Max
  • LocationBloomington

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Cubs best case draft scenario (rounds 1-6)with a competitive balance pick.

Round 1: Jonathan Gray SP

Round 2: Sean Manea SP

Competitive Balance Pick: Karsten Whitson SP

Round 3: Kent Emmanuel SP ( if Jeremy Martinez C somehow drops here we pick him)

Round 4: Brian Naverreto C or Stuart Turner C (if they are not there which is very likely then I hope they pick college catcher Andrew Knapp C )

Round 5: Christian Arroyo HS SS

Round 6: Jacoby Jones OF

Probably none of these guys get picked by the Cubs, but I think a draft class that's pitching favored with lot's of upside would be the Cubs' best scenario.

How do you possibly expect to pay for all these guys? Manea, Whitson and Jones will all require above slot bonuses in my eyes and you're not going to get a great discout on Gray either.

#19 DustinS

DustinS

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Not a chance on that one.  Boras said yesterday that Manea won't take a discount, virtually guaranteeing he'll go back for his Senior year.  I honestly would be surprised if any team even wastes a pick on him this year in any round knowing that.  This season was kind of a disaster for him, so in his case he is better off going back and doing a mulligan next season to try to pitch better and show he's healthy.  The only way that doesn't happen this draft is if some team goes crazy and gives him a ridiculous offer, which probably won't happen.  

#20 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Not a chance on that one.  Boras said yesterday that Manea won't take a discount, virtually guaranteeing he'll go back for his Senior year.  I honestly would be surprised if any team even wastes a pick on him this year in any round knowing that.    

If I were the Yankees, this is the year I forgot the penalties and blow my draft budget out of the water.  If I could trade a couple competitive balance picks before Thursday just to pile on more talent, I'd do it.

That would cost the Yankees a heavy tax penalty and their first round pick in the next two drafts.  Here's the thing, though, if they go overslot on Manea with on compensation pick, that's a potential first rounder from 2014 that will likely be off the board before the Yankees would have picked.  Find another one with their second compensation pick, and suddenly the Yankees have banked their lost picks for the next two years.  The penalty then become effectively money, and money should be no obstacle when it comes to stockpiling talent.

It would infuriate the league (but make agents ecstatic), but it completely makes sense for the Yanks this year.

Draft Manea and every other overslotter who falls.  Pay them whatever it takes to sign them all.  If it turns into a $60 million draft after taxes, so be it.   

#21 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

#02: 3B Kris Bryant, San Diego

#41: RHP Alex Balog, San Fransisco

#75: RHP Teddy Stankiewicz, Seminole St. Junior College

#108: RHP Jeff Thompson, Louisville

#138: LHP Stephen Gonzalves, HS - San Marco, CA

#168:

#198:

#22 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I would really like to get Phil Bickford in the second round. Good stuff and lots of talent, even if he would be overslot. He might get picked before that anyway. I still think the catching is the farm system's second biggest weakness after starting pitching, so if Nick Ciuffo or Jon Denney are still available, it would be really tough to pass on them. I especially like Denney because he is a complete catching package, but there is no guarantee that he'll be available. In the 3rd, I'd like to see us take Clint Hollon. Has fallen more since the start of he season than just about anyone. In early mocks, I saw him as high as 5th overall, I think. A couple of guys I would like to get in the later rounds are Tony Kemp and Spencer Navin of Vanderbilt, Raph Rhymes of LSU, and Alec Hansen out of Loveland (CO) HS. Kemp has plus speed and very good plate discipline on top of excellent defense at second base. I know this is a stretch, but Navin could be the best defensive catcher in the class. He has caught at least 6 future major leaguers and has an almost Pudgesque pop time of 1.74 (from perfect game)(and it may have improved over his time at Vanderbilt). Rhymes has a weird swing that has worked wonders in the SEC, and there is a tiny chance that it would work in pro ball, but probably not. Hansen throws low 90s and is 6-7 210, and is committed to Oklahoma. Jonathan Gray was low 90's at 6'4 210ish out of HS and went to Oklahoma. Just saying.

#23 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

[quote name="Starwin Bastro" post="46624" timestamp="1369935040"][quote name="#1lahairfan" post="46286" timestamp="1369433148"]
Round 3: Kent Emmanuel SP ( if Jeremy Martinez C somehow drops here we pick him)
Round 4: Brian Naverreto C or Stuart Turner C (if they are not there which is very likely then I hope they pick college catcher Andrew Knapp C )
Probably none of these guys get picked by the Cubs, but I think a draft class that's pitching favored with lot's of upside would be the Cubs' best scenario.
[/quote]

How do you possibly expect to pay for all these guys? Manea, Whitson and Jones will all require above slot bonuses in my eyes and you're not going to get a great discout on Gray either.[/

When I say best case scenario I mean a scenario that is close to impossible.

#24 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

How do you possibly expect to pay for all these guys? Manea, Whitson and Jones will all require above slot bonuses in my eyes and you're not going to get a great discout on Gray either.

#25 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

How do you possibly expect to pay for all these guys? Mane
a, Whitson and Jones will all require above slot bonuses in my eyes and you're not going to get a great discout on Gray either.

Now that Gray has tested positive for Adderall this scenario got a little more possible.

#26 Ralph

Ralph

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

2nd round: A pitcher. If they are still there:

Kevin Ziomek - LHP- Vandy or Hunter Green- LHP - Kentucky High School.

Perhaps even Alex Balog - RHP - SFU or Ryan Eades - RHP - LSU

*** position player wise: I think someone will snatch up Austin Wilson - OF- Stanford and Eric Jagielo - 3B - Notre Dame in late first round, so I have no idea. 

3rd round: Perhaps Chris Okey - C - Florida High School

#27 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Wow, I was way off... Ryan Zastryzny! LHP, Missouri

#28 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

Not a chance on that one.  Boras said yesterday that Manea won't take a discount, virtually guaranteeing he'll go back for his Senior year.  I honestly would be surprised if any team even wastes a pick on him this year in any round knowing that.  This season was kind of a disaster for him, so in his case he is better off going back and doing a mulligan next season to try to pitch better and show he's healthy.  The only way that doesn't happen this draft is if some team goes crazy and gives him a ridiculous offer, which probably won't happen.  

This is probably why the Royals took a flyer in the first round, to free up slot money for Manea and others.

#29 Starwin Bastro

Starwin Bastro

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:Ransom4Max
  • LocationBloomington

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I'd like to see Cubs go after Bobby Wahl in round three.  Developed college RHP whose floor is a solid reliever setup guy and ceiling of a low 2 high 3 SP.  Talent and track record is there with Ole Miss, Cape Cod and Team USA

#30 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

We were all way off. I wish we took Ziomek or maybe even Whitson in the 2nd round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).