9 replies to this topic

#1 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi,

I know Appel is considered on of the top two picks in the draft and is likely damn good and a potential star.  I give him his due.

At the same time, I don't want the Cubs drafting him because he is a Borass client.  Yes, I will give him his due also, he gets a lot of money for his players, he does his job.

Now to my point.

Baseball is a team game.  No single player is more important than the team.  The Rangers overpaid for ARod they finally had to unload him to the Yankees and eat a good bit of his salary in the process.  The player got a great contract and he is the best player in the game at the time.  That fact notwithstanding, the team could not function with him eating up so much of their payroll.

If the Cubs draft Appel, some folks feel they can give him a take it or leave it offer, and then go sign the rest of their draft choices so there is no other money available for him.  That is all true, but what if he leaves it?  What if he walks and signs with an independent minor league team?  As bad as the Cubs have been for generations, you only have a few opportunities for the second overall pick.  Why take a chance on him not signing? 

Even if he signs, Boras has a history of waiting until the last minute hoping for a shakedown.  Last year the Pirates thought they put a fair offer on the table and they walked away.  Would he doing it again?  No one knows for sure.

The Cubs need a whole lot of good players.  It is not as if one college kid is going to put them over the top.  There are other good players available at the Cub draft position who will likely become starters and all stars who they know they can sign for the slot price.  Why take the risk on Appel?

So far it was noted that the Cub brass was in OK meeting with Bryant, or whatever the kid's name is that is supposed to be in the same class as Appel.  Unless Appel and his agent give the Cubs some indication that want to sign quickly at the slotted amount so he can get on with his career, i would pass. 

You can draft a good kid as #2 that you know you can sign or one who has a history of not doing so.  What is better?  I'll take the bird in the hand and let some other team put up with Borass' games.

regards,

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

While it is certainly a consideration, it's worth noting that Almora was a Boras client, too.

#3 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

While it is certainly a consideration, it's worth noting that Almora was a Boras client, too.

Hi Brett,

Good point.  At the same time, he was not the #2 pick in the draft.  Boras came out publically against the collective bargaining agreement and I think he picked the wrong place to make a fight.  Wasn't Almora signed before the new rules went into effect?

Last year Borass did neither his client or the Pirates any good with his hissy fit. 

Brett, as we discussed I spent an entire career teaching negotiations.  Borass has to find a way to save face and get his client more than any other agent who had a client drafted in the same position.  That is his history.  For the Cubs to do that, it would cost them in their inability to sign other picks or some of the other penalties for overpaying according to the agreement.

Right now I would rather have all good picks, and signed and into the system as quickly as possible.  Appel is good, but unless someone can convince me he is so much better than any other option that it is worth the risk, I would just go elsewher.

Thanks for the feedback,

Dennis/5412

#4 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Is there a chance that the Cubs surprise everyone and take Frazier or Meadows?

#5 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

So in this case if Gray is not available do you take Bryant or maybe even Frazier over Appel?

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Almora was signed under the current CBA.

#7 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

"Last year Borass did neither his client or the Pirates any good with his hissy fit."

Considering his client is in line for a bigger bonus than he was last year i think he did alright in Appel's eyes, plus its not like Appel himself has any makeup issues

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

"Last year Borass did neither his client or the Pirates any good with his hissy fit."

Considering his client is in line for a bigger bonus than he was last year i think he did alright in Appel's eyes, plus its not like Appel himself has any makeup issues

And he gets to play in his home state, so yeah, it did quite a bit of good for him.

#9 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

And he gets to play in his home state, so yeah, it did quite a bit of good for him.

Hi guys,

A guy only gets to play in the major leagues for a certain period of time before he gets old. As far as I am concerned one more year on a MLB roster in the long run pays better. Being arbitration and free agent eligible means a ton of money for good players, particularly when they are young and want long term mega-deals.

When a kid dominates at one level keeping him there does not do nearly as much as moving him to the next level.

Just my $.02..

Regards,

#10 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

Hi guys,

I have a question for you all. Instead of Borass signaling last year that Appel would be a tough sign to the point he was picked 8th, might he have been drafted a lot higher, and made more money if Borass said he would be reasonable?

Maybe part of the reason the year over year money is so great is he got shoved down to 8th last year.

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).