24 replies to this topic

#1 DustinS

DustinS

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

The 64 teams for the College World Series were just announced today.  Oklahoma and San Diego both made the cut, so that will give us another last chance to see Gray and Bryant before the draft.  Surprisingly, Stanford just barely missed the cut which means Appel is done.  Regionals start May 31.  Here's the list of teams if anyone wants to give those 2 big names or other round 2 and on guys a last pre-draft look.  From what I've read, for the first time ESPN is going to handle the CWS this year like the NCAA basketball tournament and they are going to be televising every single game (!).  

http://www.ncaa.com/...ge-world-series

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

ESPN is going to handle the CWS this year

That means there will be something other than dunks and NFL speculation on Sportscenter?

I find this hard to believe.

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

That means there will be something other than dunks and NFL speculation on Sportscenter?

There will still be plenty of cool stuff and a lot of real witty dry humor guys for your entertainment pleasure.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Bloomington is a regional site this year with IU a #1 seed. Hopefully I'll be able to hit a few games.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Bloomington is a regional site this year with IU a #1 seed. Hopefully I'll be able to hit a few games.

IU is a #1 seed for their regional? 

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yes, They are ranked #13 in the USA today coaches poll, #15 in the writers poll & 14th in RPI. They also won the B1G outright.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

This is definitely the time for Kris Bryant to convince the Cubs to draft him. If he struggles in this tournament, I think that could help the Cubs' choice.

#8 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Don't worry, they will still be able to find time to talk about Tim Tebow at some point in their coverage. 

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Don't worry, they will still be able to find time to talk about Tim Tebow at some point in their coverage. 

His SCrP+ is only 3rd round worthy at this point however.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

next up is Skip Bayless with "If Tim Tebow played baseball and played for the Cubs how many worlds series would they have won by now?"

#11 DustinS

DustinS

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Gray pitched a complete game today in Round 1 of the regionals of the CWS vs. Coastal Carolina.  I watched it, he pitched ok and the line looks very good.   He really didn't throw quite as well as the line below would make it appear though.  He missed his spots a lot (and nailed one batter in the head), pitches that at a higher level I could see guys making him pay for or just take for balls.  His fastball IMO seems very straight and was fouled off often.  His curve is also more rolling than sharp to me. 

On the upside, he did settle down after a very rough first couple of innings which was a good to see.  Also, his over the top fastball at times reminded me of KW.  And they were 96-97 all day.

IP   H  R  ER BB SO BF ERA
22 Jonathan Gray 9.0 9  3    2    1   11 36 1.62

The game is available for replay on ESPN3 if you want to catch it.  San Diego and Bryant are playing Cal Poly now on ESPN3.  North Carolina's Colin Moran is also playing now on ESPN3.

#12 DustinS

DustinS

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

A pretty uneventful day for Bryant and Moran.  Bryant went 0 for 3 with 1 BB and 1 K.  He did drive 1 ball to the warning track not much else of note.  Moran went 1 for 5 (single) with 1 K.  So neither did anything special to help their cause today.  

All 3 CWS teams with the potential 1st round Cubs pick play tomorrow, but Gray threw ~130 pitches today and won't be pitching again until Monday at the earliest.  North Carolina/Moran play Towson at 6pm Saturday, and San Diego/Bryant play at 5pm Saturday.  Both games will be on one of the ESPN channels, likely ESPN3.   

#13 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

thanks for the updates

#14 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I hope the Cubs sign Jeff Thompson from U of L. The Junior was named Big East Pitcher of the year and could be a steal with our 108 pick in the draft. He had a no hitter last year. The Cards have 3 really great starters in the rotation this year, Thompson being one of them. The Cubs got Justin Amlung last year, so, I gotta root for my school.

http://www.gocards.c...son_721958.html

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Wasn't Zych a Louisville guy as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).