#1 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm in the middle of Chris's book, it's fasinating. I remember the pain of '69. I was in high school back then. I was a Braves fan and back then, we got clobbered by the Mets too. During universty, I took a break from Baseball, not really intentionally, but it just happened. Living in Charlotte in the early '80's, we'd go see the single A Charlotte O's at Crockett Park, a classic old style woodden bleacher ballpark. It was a thing of beauty until it burned down.

When I moved to Chicago in 1984, it was very easy to attach myself to the Cubs and no problem to take on that extra pain of 1969, (we were watching you guys from Atlanta in '69 too, ya know).

What I really like about the book is his work in going through the horrible draft record of the Cubs. Looking, for example, at the 1965 draft, one can see that the '65 draft had an impact on Baseball into the 1980's. When I see his work, it can be clearly seen that this building project is going to take quite a while. I mean, even Theo is really in unfamiljar ground here, recall that he came to a team that had 90 wins the year before he took the gig. Coming to the Cubs, He had to start from very nearly zero. The '84 Cubs were good, but as Chris said, the management didn't expect them to be so competitive so fast. I really believe that the new management has laid a very good foundation for the future, I just hope that they have some Dave Duncan type guys down there doing the right kind of teaching. When the Cubs win, I'm delighted, when they loose, well, they loose. I'm looking way, way ahead and I've got my eyes on the prize!

Ya gotta get his book too. Good work Chis.

#2 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words....glad people are enjoying it

#3 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

I need to get my copy...props, Chris! Proud of you, man.

#4 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Sounds really interesting.  A good read.  Where can you get it?

#5 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

Here is the link toAmazon, there is also a Kindle version:

http://www.amazon.co...bartman,aps,286

In reading his book, it confirms what I had already believed which is that it will be at least 5 years before we see the results that we are hopping for. If the Cubs do become competitive before the farm system is up and running the way we would like, that would be an unexpected bonus. But to condemn the FO now after only 2 years is unrealistic. We have to give it more time. I'm now getting into the discussion on instability of the Cubs managment. It's incredible when you compare it to say, the Dodgers and the Cardinals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).