Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

No superstar pick in draft, do Cubs draft for under slot????

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

I can agree with that.  The guy's position is a position of need.  And the Cubs have proven that last year that they will not always go for the pitcher in the first round.  I still want Gray though if he is available.

#17 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

There are plenty of good pitchers under the radar this year. I think the Cubs could sign Kris Bryant #2 and sign 3 pitchers with the #41, #75, and #108 picks. 

#18 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

I don't see how the Cubs don't choose a pitcher with the 2nd pick.  Probably the safest bet of the draft, and they really can't afford to miss.

#19 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Pitcher is almost never the safest bet at the top of any draft.  The numbers are very much stacked against it.

#20 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Pitcher is almost never the safest bet at the top of any draft.  The numbers are very much stacked against it.

Who then do you think is a better bet than Appell or Gray in this draft?

#21 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

The safest bet is Bryant.  The historical numbers are pretty clear on that.

If I remember right, something like 48% of college hitters taken in the first round reach the majors.  That's the highest arrival rate of any draft demographic, and the numbers get better the higher up in the draft you get.

#22 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well you follow this more than me.  I have no doubt that historically this is correct.  It just seems most things I've read point to Appell being the safest bet to make the majors.

#23 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Well you follow this more than me.  I have no doubt that historically this is correct.  It just seems most things I've read point to Appell being the safest bet to make the majors.

Right now, he is.  

Ten minutes after he blows out his elbow is a different story.  And that's the risk with all pitching prospects. 

#24 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

I still think that it would be wiser to take Bryant over Appel.  But only if Gray is not available.

#25 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

Is Appel really a safe bet though? 

#26 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I keep reading all this on the draft and want to offer up my theory.  This is the #2 pick in the draft.  If I was drafting, I would want the best pick with the least chance of screwing up.  If I draft a position player and he is in the lineup hitting 30 HR's, does anyone care if two other highly drafted pitchers are also doing well?

On the other hand, if you draft one of those pitchers and he blows his arm out, you are going to hear and feel a lot of shoulda, coulda...  If top college kids who are position players have the statistical highest upside of living up to their projections, why not take the one who is closest to the sure thing? 

The issue is not Appel or Grey, but to me a highly regarded position player who grades high versus a pitcher.  Personally, I go for the position player.  When the team comes together you then go buy another Matt Garza in the free agent market.  How many good pitchers are available as free agents versus a top quality 3B who is not past his prime?

regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).