Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Is Arismendy Alcantara our (slower developing) Jurickson Profar?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 T Wags

T Wags

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

I'm loving what Alcantara is doing so far this season (and last season before the injury), and have been, kind of obsessively, checking how he does in every game. One thing I can't get out of my head is how similar he seems to be to Profar. Both undersized, switch hitting shortstops with good speed and surprising power.

Now digging deeper, Alcantara is about a 1.5 years older and about a year behind developmentally, but he's still young for the league that he's killing, and has a higher OPS than Profar had last year in AA. Having said that, Profar's BB% is historically higher and K% historically lower, but his BABIP is quite a bit lower than Alcantara's ,for the most part, which tells me he's not making as solid contact or he's not quite as fast as our guy.

Profar probably deserves his ranking, and I think Arismendy is due for a huge jump in his ranking if he keeps this up and can stay healthy for a whole season. I'm probably as or more excited about him than anyone in our system, and I think he can be our 2nd baseman and potential leadoff man maybe as soon as opening day next year. I hope he sees a cup of coffee come September. Thoughts?

P.S. I know I don't show my face around here much but I'm reading every day. Hope to become a better contributor going forward!

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, T Wags. Scouts were loving on Alcantara last year before he got hurt, which is what makes this year's statistical goodness even more exciting. A lot of his value last year, though, was bound up in his theoretic ability to stay at shortstop. Since it looks like that won't happen now, it's fair to wonder whether he'll take a hit in some folks' eyes (even if the Cubs could more likely use him at second down the road).

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm not so sure the theory he could stay at shortstop was all that prevalent.  Talk of him moving to second wasn't quite to the stage of "forgone conclusion", but it was leaning heavily in that direction.

Moving to second will hurt his value somewhat, but if he really is turning into the 20 HR 40 SB monsters he seems like this year, then things are going to get interesting in a hurry.

#4 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

I've been rooting for this kid ever since he came over. His ceiling might be a poor man's Profar, but I never really thought he would stick at SS.

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

Nice post TWags, I am now going to check him out again...would love to see him break the people named Arismendy barrier for the Cubs

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Whoa! His numbers right now warrant a much higher ranking...he is probably a Cubs' top ten right now...

Arismendy Alcantara....cool name, has a nice flow to it

#7 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Welcome T Wags. I am getting cautiously stoked about Alcantara. He is definitely a top 10 Cub now.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#8 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Wasnt he a top 10 last year? Maybe not everywhere but Im pretty sure KLaw had him in his top 10. That being said it is tough to compare a guy who was on the fringe of a team's top 10 to the best prospect in baseball. The thing that sets Profar apart from most other prospects is his approach, something Alcantara doesnt have yet. That being said he has already surpassed his walk numbers from the last 3 years so maybe he is getting a better approach.

No matter what way you look at it he is an exciting under the radar (to most people but us) prospect that could be in for a huge break out, just dont compare him to the best prospect in baseball. Thats not fair to the kid in my opinion

#9 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Wasnt he a top 10 last year? Maybe not everywhere but Im pretty sure KLaw had him in his top 10. That being said it is tough to compare a guy who was on the fringe of a team's top 10 to the best prospect in baseball. The thing that sets Profar apart from most other prospects is his approach, something Alcantara doesnt have yet. That being said he has already surpassed his walk numbers from the last 3 years so maybe he is getting a better approach.

No matter what way you look at it he is an exciting under the radar (to most people but us) prospect that could be in for a huge break out, just dont compare him to the best prospect in baseball. Thats not fair to the kid in my opinion

He was in some boats, but not all had him ranked that high. 

I would like to see Arismendy slow down his SO, but other then that I have been super impressed with his numbers. 

#10 Starwin Bastro

Starwin Bastro

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:Ransom4Max
  • LocationBloomington

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

If I am not mistaked he will become a Rule 5 draft guy following this season.  If he isn't used as part of a trade this season then I think it is pretty clear that Theo and co have a very high view of him.

#11 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

He's got speed and switch hits, so he's AT LEAST an asset off of the bench. Can he stick at the top of the order an displace Barney at 2B? He's gotta go through Logan Watkins first.

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

I like how his numbers have improved with every promotion in the minors

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I like how his numbers have improved with every promotion in the minors

That's one of my knocks on him. He need to earn it and struggle to develop his SCrP+.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

SCrP+ is archaic

#15 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

I think SCrP+ has a height limit as one of the parameters, but don't quote me on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).