Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

As long time readers of Bleacher Nation probably know, we have our own fountain of secret wisdom.

Assman22

I'm not sure when he first appeared, and I can't honestly say that I remember all his predictions, but he has gotten the reputation for being accurate enough that he might, just might, have legitimate inside info.

Probably his biggest prediction was calling the Soler signing, complete with contract terms, a couple of weeks before it was announced.  But there have been others.

And I think he has had some misses, too.

The point is, I don't really remember. I know he makes predictions and that it seems like he is right an uncanny amount of the time, but I don't know for sure.

So let's find out.  We're heading into what is likely to be a very busy rumor season.  We know he's active and is passing on bit of information, so I propose we track his predictions and see just how accurate this guy (girl? sentient computer?) is.  I don't mean this in any hostile sense, but more out of curiosity.

Post Assman22 predictions in this thread as they appear, and we'll see how well he does this year.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

The most recent one is this:

http://www.bleachern...#comment-311887

"Cubs out on Gray."

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Check that, this is his most recent:

http://www.bleachern...#comment-311935

"Cubs going with Bryant or an 11th hour change of heart on Appel, if Moran goes to Houston as speculated. Remember, there was a lot of buzz about the Astros taking Appel #1 last year then on draft day, they went with Correa. Can’t believe everything you hear…"

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Based off his name and that one episode of Seinfeld, I'm going to guess he's the proctologist of one of the Front Office guys and that's where he gets his information.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Great idea, Luke.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:26 AM

Yeah he really does have a decent track record yet with that name I can only see this:

fartman.jpg

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

The only specific example I can think of was he was wrong on the Cubs signing Darvish but, I think, he was pretty darn close on the final dollar amount.

#8 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

He spoke:

"Cubs final board: 1. Appel, 2. Bryant…Hoyer voted Appel, McLeod voted Bryant, Theo sided with Hoyer…"

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

He spoke:

"Cubs final board: 1. Appel, 2. Bryant…Hoyer voted Appel, McLeod voted Bryant, Theo sided with Hoyer…"

I like it...a lot.

#10 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

He spoke:

I like it...a lot.

Me too. I'm really big on Appel.

#11 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Do you think there are ever hard feelings when they debate this stuff? Like when McLeod wants Bryant a lot (like Assman has been saying) and Hoyer wants Appel, then Theo sides with Hoyer. Do you think that makes McLeod upset that he's viewed as "wrong"? lol.

#12 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Do you think there are ever hard feelings when they debate this stuff? Like when McLeod wants Bryant a lot (like Assman has been saying) and Hoyer wants Appel, then Theo sides with Hoyer. Do you think that makes McLeod upset that he's viewed as "wrong"? lol.

Ha, it's definitely fun to think about. But I get the feeling that these guys disagree a lot, and have enough respect for each other that they never let it bother them. Complete pro's.

#13 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ha, it's definitely fun to think about. But I get the feeling that these guys disagree a lot, and have enough respect for each other that they never let it bother them. Complete pro's.

I agree, it probably goes that way. But, I know if it were me, I'd get super pissed off lol. But then again, I don't take not being right very well.... lol.

#14 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm sure there's a lot of strategy involved and numbers they have that we aren't privy to viewing.

Last year's strategy could be deemed a success, Chadd Krist (9th round catcher) is already in Daytona. I'm sure without the injuries, Almora (1st round) would be on the same pace (and not in Kane County). There are plenty of pitchers that are doing well from last year's draft, too. I know it's about talent, but it's also about "bust-ability" and quantity + quality pitching and developing that through the farm system. You can't teach power.

(1) 02. Positional Player slightly under slot

(2) 41. Pitcher around slot

(3) 75. Pitcher under slot

(4) 108. Pitcher right at slot

(5) 138. Pitcher a little over slot

(6) 168. Positional Player unless a pitcher we want is still on the board

(7) 198. Positional Player a little over slot

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Nothing a few rounds with Rock'em Sock'em Robots can't fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).