• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Assman22
June 28, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink | Reply

Rangers prefer Garza and his stock his off the charts right now, even higher than I thought. Scouts are all thumbs up on his recovery…Cubs could blow up entire rotation in the next 30 days…

Damn you for beating me to it.  If only Garza had done this last year...

I knew i wouldn't be the first. damn.

#32 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I wonder what he means "entire".  Including Shark?

#33 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I took it to mean, if you blow the shit out of something, some of it is going to remain in a chunk. I say Samardzija is that chunk.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#34 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

I took it to mean, if you blow the shit out of something, some of it is going to remain in a chunk. I say Samardzija is that chunk.

That's how I took it too.

I really wonder about Assman. On the one hand he's been right plenty of times, but on the other hand we could have a bit of selection bias. Perhaps it wasn't inside info that allowed him to project Bryant to the Cubs, but rather just good sense. Appel was a strong possibility to go number 1, while grey had the adderol issue, only one dominant year, and the front office openly stated that their preference for positional players in the first round.

For now, it is fairly common knowledge that the cubs are going to be sellers this July, and that several of the pitchers will be targets. Saying that Garza is healthy and effective is not too bold of a statement (3 consecutive quality starts), and because of this of course contending teams with deep systems that need pitching (the rangers) would be in on him.

What I'd like to know is, what is one of Assman's predictions that was totally and completely out of left field? Has he said something that seemed ridiculous only until it came true? 

#35 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

That's how I took it too.

I really wonder about Assman. On the one hand he's been right plenty of times, but on the other hand we could have a bit of selection bias. Perhaps it wasn't inside info that allowed him to project Bryant to the Cubs, but rather just good sense. Appel was a strong possibility to go number 1, while grey had the adderol issue, only one dominant year, and the front office openly stated that their preference for positional players in the first round.

For now, it is fairly common knowledge that the cubs are going to be sellers this July, and that several of the pitchers will be targets. Saying that Garza is healthy and effective is not too bold of a statement (3 consecutive quality starts), and because of this of course contending teams with deep systems that need pitching (the rangers) would be in on him.

What I'd like to know is, what is one of Assman's predictions that was totally and completely out of left field? Has he said something that seemed ridiculous only until it came true? 

If I remember right, he predicted the 2011 draft signings with contracts pretty well.  That is where I first heard about him.

#36 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Apparently you never saw this episode of Mythbusters:

boom.jpg

#37 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, there really wasn't anything left of that cement truck. It also blew up several of their cameras. If I remember correctly they only got footage off of one of the cameras.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#38 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Assman22

June 29, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hoyer has asked for three top 10 prospects for Garza + OF…sticking point is lack of quality SP in Rangers’ farm system…

#39 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

I really wonder about Assman. On the one hand he's been right plenty of times, but on the other hand we could have a bit of selection bias.

I've wondered the same thing, and that's why I started a thread to track him this trade season.

I think his biggest hit was the Soler signing.  Not just that the Cubs' got Soler, but he nailed the length of the contract and was very close on the dollars well in advance of anyone on the national stage.  

#40 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I wonder if Assman reads this thread. I don't want to scare him off. He's like the Loch Ness Monster. And like Nessie, Assman is a beautiful, quiet creature that only appears from the shadows every now and then. 

#41 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

The only way it should scare him off is if his information is more of the guess/bullcrap variety.  

#42 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Die hard
July 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Permalink | Reply
Wouldn’t be touting a LA connection with NSA DEA IRS and FBI monitoring all communications … Wonder if they know if this Marmol rumor is fact or fiction ? Or in the HGTV lingo — Love It or List It

Umm...I think diehard just figured out how assman is getting his info.

#43 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Assman no where to be found on 3 moves today

#44 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Assman22
July 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink | Reply
Garza is asking 4/76 and Cubs were holding at 4/60 but have drawn the line at 4/64 firm…he’ll be dealt…

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#45 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

Assman22
July 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink | Reply
Garza is asking 4/76 and Cubs were holding at 4/60 but have drawn the line at 4/64 firm…he’ll be dealt…

I gotta say, 4/60 or 4/64 are both deals i would love. I think this would increase our chances of competing immensely over the next two years.

Not only would we get Garza for 4 years, but also we'd be commited to being better in 2014/15 as opposed to 2016/17. This might force the FO's hand a little bit into being more aggressive with trades and Free Agency.

As far as 4/76 goes, 19M AAV is pretty high. Garza is only 29 though, and likely will only underperform in his 4th year (if he ever does). I think 4/76 or somewhere in between 4/60 and 4/76 would be fair to both sides and mutually beneficial. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).