EndlessBacklash

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:@EndlessBacklash
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

I secretly am kind of hoping that Juan Pierre reaches 3,000 hits.  It would be equally hilarious and intriguing.

Pierre (who is 35 years old and turns 36 in August) currently has 2,184 hits (as of this morning, prior to today's game) and is the starting left fielder for the abysmally bad Miami Marlins.  I estimate that he will accumulate another 80-100 hits throughout the course of this season.    

So where does that leave us?

The big question is, could he get the remaining 700+ plus hits while playing into his forties?  He has no power, no OBP, and his defense is merely adequate, complete with that terrible arm.  The trickery that gets him employed?  He makes a ton of weak contact, runs hard, and the last couple of years has actually been an above average stolen base threat.  His best bet is to continue playing with horrible teams that would give him the best chance to play regularly.  He is currently only signed for $1.6 million and would have to take similar (or closer to league minimum) type salaries to even stay on a roster (or sign a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training and wow the team with his leadership, hustle, and completely legit spring training statistics)  Maybe Miami can just keep re-upping him for the next couple years as a starter before he tries to stick around as a bench player.

I chuckle to myself picturing analysts on ESPN trying to make their case for Pierre as a HOFer if he gets 3,000 hits.  "He stole a lot of bases!  He hustled!  He didn't strike out much!  He. . . er . . had the crazy mustache!"

Sabermetricians on the other hand, would be beyond outrage, driven to pure insanity.  Juan Pierre *is* anti-sabermetrics!  Approximately $57MM in salary and 23.6 fWAR.  Take away his two prime seasons in 2003 & 2004, and you're down to approximately $53.6MM and 15.3 fWAR in 12 seasons!

Dave Cameron arrested for kidnapping members of the BBWAA?  Keith Law caught attempting to burn down the Cooperstown museum?  It would all be possible, if . . Pierre somehow gets to 3,000.

Let's face it.  Juan Pierre is the living, breathing example of a troll in the baseball community. 

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Love this as a conversation piece, even if I don't think he'll make it to 2500.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yeah I'd say Jamie Moyer has a better chance at 300 wins than Juan does at 3000 hits. When players get to 2500 hits it always lead to the conversation of them getting to 3000 hits. It's quite the feat to reach 3000 hits... Rage BUILDING ... BIGGO SHOULD BE IN THE HOF! The fact that he didn't get voted in shows just how bad the BBWAA has become - last years vote was a joke.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Among current HOFs, Biggio would be no. 7 in SCrP+ and the guys ahead of him were from the days where they didn't wear batting helmets and drank whiskey in lieu of gatorade as it had yet to be invented.  Pierre just doesn't have enough intangimetrics to justify it

Not everybody's Rickey Henderson, as Pierre gets older he's going to slow down and, as a result, his BABIP is doing to decline as his slap hits are going to be more and more routine groundouts.  I actually liked him as a Cub even though I felt that the fans were against him*, and found him to be an exciting player.

*I think this is due to a couple reasons. #1 He's no Kenny Lofton at the plate.  I would have loved to see the Cubs resign Kenny, but he was acquired to fill in for Corey Patterson after he went down with a knee injury while having a borderline all star year (WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN IF HE HADN'T BEEN INJURED!) and wasn't willing to be a backup.  #2 The Cubs gave up three pitchers for him (Mitre, Pinto, and Nolasco) that they could have used with the mounting pitching injuries that they had that year.  It was probably overpay (especially since Nolasco is still an effective pitcher despite pitching for the Marlins--maybe even their ace)

Cool idea, though, but I think Pierre's days as a MLB regular are numbered.  It would cool to see him Julio Franco it and play well into his 40s as a part time player/pinch runner type, though. 

#5 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

I'd love for his to happen, but the highest he get's is 2500 hits to 2750 hits if he stays with the Marlins for 3-4 more years.

#6 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Happy birthday to you! (Just noticed that.)

#7 EndlessBacklash

EndlessBacklash

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:@EndlessBacklash
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

@#1lahairfan

Thanks, much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).