10 replies to this topic

#1 NebCub

NebCub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

According to CSNChicago, Ryne Sandberg retained by the Phillies organization. He will manage the LeHigh Valley Iron Pigs for another season. Now the speculation of him coming to the cubs this year can stop.

#2 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook:Mark Comparet
  • LocationFort Wayne, In.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Amen, Pass the gravy!

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

The fact that he can't seem to land a big league coaching job - let alone a managerial gig - is striking. And maybe telling.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

The fact that he can't seem to land a big league coaching job - let alone a managerial gig - is striking. And maybe telling.

I'm really, really curious why though. It's certainly telling, but it's not answering.

#5 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

I am surprised that more organizations haven't been interested in him for a spot on the major league coaching staff. Then again, how often do successful minor league managers succeed in the majors?

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

I am surprised that more organizations haven't been interested in him for a spot on the major league coaching staff. Then again, how often do successful minor league managers succeed in the majors?

*cough*cough*Quade*cough*cough

#7 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook:Mark Comparet
  • LocationFort Wayne, In.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

One can only speculate but time and time again the rumors swirl about the circumstances surrounding his abrupt retirement form the game in 1994. I'm sure we've all heard the stories and Sandberg himself has said his marriage had nothing to do with it at the time, but you have to wonder. Big new contract right before. Possibly a mental breakdown, which wouldn't be different than anyone else. Would a team go that far to keep someone out of the limelight and maybe unflattering circumstances in the clubhouse from over 20 yrs. ago? I can understand not bringing him in after Quade so everyone could say I told you so, but something is there.

I also find it as interesting that neither Chicago or Boston interviewed Dave Martinez for their respective managers spots after him being mentioned for their short lists. Maybe I just missed something but I don't recall any follow up from either team on Martinez... ...

#8 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

Let me say this: I love Ryno. As a little girl he and George Brett were my 2 crushes. No, not movie stars. Baseball players. However, people need to quit swinging from his nuts. Sheesh.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#9 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

I'm really, really curious why though. It's certainly telling, but it's not answering.

I have wondered why also. My theory is that he is an old school guy that doesn't use advanced statistigs much. Also, I think that he is so connected to the cubs everyone sees him as a person that would jump ship given the opportunity so they do not want to "invest" in him. I could be wrong, but I also wonder why.

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

I wonder (and I believe it's been speculated) that Ryno will only accept a manager job and is actively telling teams that he will not accept a bench coach, base coach, etc. If that is correct his bravado to only accept a job as manager without MLB coaching experience could be the reason teams avoid him. He really needs to accept a coach/assistant role if he plans on reaching the MLB as a manager.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:36 AM

I wonder (and I believe it's been speculated) that Ryno will only accept a manager job and is actively telling teams that he will not accept a bench coach, base coach, etc. If that is correct his bravado to only accept a job as manager without MLB coaching experience could be the reason teams avoid him. He really needs to accept a coach/assistant role if he plans on reaching the MLB as a manager.

That's kind of what I wonder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).