#1 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

The message coming out of the Cubs camp is that Kris Bryant will stay at 3B. So what does this mean?

3B

AAA - Junior Lake (is going to be a utility guy, a la, Ben Zobrist, 3B/SS/OF)

AAA - Josh Vitters (still defensively sub-par at 3B, maybe LF is where he's headed)

AA - Christian Villanueva (surging a little, but still a .250 hitter w/a good glove)

SS

MLB - Starlin Castro (is still the Shortstop, even though he's struggling lately)

AA - Arismendy Alcantara (more than likely going to move to 2B, could platoon vs RHP)

A+ - Javier Baez (more than likely going to move to 2B)

2B

AAA - Logan Watkins (gets on base, fast, 2B/CF, low BABIP)

AA - Ronald Torreyes (looks like he's gonna be a platoon guy vs. LHP)

A+ - Stephen Bruno (still a little ways away from MLB)

2015:

CF Almora / Ha

LF McLouth (L) / Lake

RF Soler or (3B Bryant)

1B Rizzo (L)

3B Bryant or (RF Soler)

C Saltalamacchia (S) / Castillo

SS Baez / Castro

2B Alcantara (S) / Torreyes (S)

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

I knew that this would make things interesting in terms of Baez.  What are people saying about how far away Bryant is, in terms of years?

#3 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

They would only hurt themselves but not letting him play 3B. He has so much more value as a 3B than a RF/LF. Let the kid play 3B until he proves that he cant or he gets to the majors and 3B is locked down (unlikely). 

#4 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm still unclear as to why scouts think he has to move. I've  read that he has good athleticism, average speed, and above average arm. I guess it's the lateral movement aspect (even though I read that he moves towards the line extremely well), but that seems like a small amount of playing third relative to hands and arm strength, plus that may be something that can be improved. With the very rangy Castro at short, I can't see this as a huge problem. 

I was originally not in the "Draft Bryant" Boat, but after being reassured that he can probably play average D at 3rd, and people tossing around "80 power," I'm starting to like the pick more and more.

Let's take a moment to dream. Bryant at 3B, Castro SS, Baez 2B, Rizzo 1B. That could be a 20 HR infield, or 30 if you exclude Castro. Just gotta figure out that pitching staff.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

The guy is being compared to Troy Glaus.  Although I have a bias in this, since Glaus is one of my most favorite players, I cannot imagine the connection between that comparison and then moving him.  If we are getting the next Troy Glaus, then let the man play at the position of greatest strength!

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

I have to admit, Mike Taylor's mind is quite interesting.  The man likes to look at every possible scenario and makes me rethink on some baseball related things.  Good post Mike. :D

#7 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

The guy is being compared to Troy Glaus.  Although I have a bias in this, since Glaus is one of my most favorite players, I cannot imagine the connection between that comparison and then moving him.  If we are getting the next Troy Glaus, then let the man play at the position of greatest strength!

Hi,

I compared him to Glaus only to make the point a guy 6' 5" tall has played 3B before and done well.

We need to let things work themselves out.  Right now Baez is still in high A ball where he should be.  Their play on the field will make the decisions a lot easier  My concern is getting the guy signed, and quickly so we can start the process.

regards,

#8 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have to admit, Mike Taylor's mind is quite interesting.  The man likes to look at every possible scenario and makes me rethink on some baseball related things.  Good post Mike. :D

Thanks, man. I may stink at coming up with trade scenarios (because they are biased), but I do know what kind of strengths we have in our farm system. ;)

Here's something to think about:

Baez, Soler, Almora, and Bryant are all around the same age. This year, Almora should jump to A+ soon (7 game hitting streak, .366 AVG past 10 days), while Soler, Baez, and Geiger should jump to AA. Here's why:

Baez: 113 TB in 243 PA = 0.465 BPPA, .230 ISO, .374 wOBA

(takes over at SS, Alcantara moves to 2B and platoons w/Torreyes)

Soler: 90 TB in 213 PA = 0.423 BPPA, .198 ISO, .369 wOBA

(takes over in RF, Rubi Silva moves to LF)

Geiger: 97 TB in 236 PA = 0.411 BPPA, .167 ISO, .373 wOBA

(takes over for 30yo Tim Torres @ 1B (Bour is still hurt))

Eventually, Kris Bryant gets placed in A+ or AA after AZ Rookie League. Tennessee will be the place to be to watch games! Hopefully, Reggie Golden continues his comeback and takes Soler's spot in A+.

LF Silva (staying in AA, has to be less streaky)

CF Andreoli [Szczur / Ha should make the jump to AAA]

RF Soler

1B Geiger

2B Bruno / Torreyes [Alcantara gets promoted to AAA]

3B Bryant [Villanueva traded or promoted to AAA]

SS Baez

C Lopez / Noble

DH Giansanti

#9 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, man. I may stink at coming up with trade scenarios (because they are biased), but I do know what kind of strengths we have in our farm system. ;)

Here's something to think about:

Baez, Soler, Almora, and Bryant are all around the same age. This year, Almora should jump to A+ soon (7 game hitting streak, .366 AVG past 10 days), while Soler, Baez, and Geiger should jump to AA. Here's why:

Baez: 113 TB in 243 PA = 0.465 BPPA, .230 ISO, .374 wOBA

(takes over at SS, Alcantara moves to 2B and platoons w/Torreyes)

Soler: 90 TB in 213 PA = 0.423 BPPA, .198 ISO, .369 wOBA

(takes over in RF, Rubi Silva moves to LF)

Geiger: 97 TB in 236 PA = 0.411 BPPA, .167 ISO, .373 wOBA

(takes over for 30yo Tim Torres @ 1B (Bour is still hurt))

Eventually, Kris Bryant gets placed in A+ or AA after AZ Rookie League. Tennessee will be the place to be to watch games! Hopefully, Reggie Golden continues his comeback and takes Soler's spot in A+.

LF Silva (staying in AA, has to be less streaky)

CF Andreoli [Szczur / Ha should make the jump to AAA]

RF Soler

1B Geiger

2B Bruno / Torreyes [Alcantara gets promoted to AAA]

3B Bryant [Villanueva traded or promoted to AAA]

SS Baez

C Lopez / Noble

DH Giansanti

I really hope they dont platoon Alcantara. Cant think of a better way to stunt the growth of a huge "breakout" prospect than to platoon him. 

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

I compared him to Glaus only to make the point a guy 6' 5" tall has played 3B before and done well.

We need to let things work themselves out.  Right now Baez is still in high A ball where he should be.  Their play on the field will make the decisions a lot easier  My concern is getting the guy signed, and quickly so we can start the process.

regards,

You aren't the only one who has made the comparison.  Lots of scouts have made the comparison.  I agree that we need to wait it out,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).