#1 MightyBear

MightyBear

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Verlander won the AL MVP award and I was wondering what people think about giving the MVP award to a pitcher. I personally think the MVP award should go to an everyday player. While Verlander was sensational on the mound this year and was easily the Cy Young award winner, I just don't think you give the MVP award to a pitcher. Thoughts?

#2 Kansas Cubs Fan

Kansas Cubs Fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:@Kansas_Cubs_Fan

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

I agree that's what the Cy young is for, and I also think there should be a Rookie pitcher of the year award and Rookie player of the year award.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

It doesn't bother me if voters genuinely believed he was the "most valuable player." I think the pitcher/positional player distinction gets too much play in these things. People like to say that the pitcher isn't as valuable because he plays in only one out of five games, but I like to retort that the pitcher is involved in 25 to 35 at bats in each of those games.

#4 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

Verlander appeared in 34 games while Ellsbury appeared in 158 and Jose Bautista in 149. But, Verlander faced 969 batters and had 50 chances in the field, meaning he effected 1,019 plays this season. Ellsbury had 729 plate appearances and 394 chances in the field, for 1,123 plays while Bautista had 655 PA and 333 chances, for 988 plays. So really, while Verlander did only play in 34 games, he had as many chances to effect the game as two other top MVP contenders.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Verlander appeared in 34 games while Ellsbury appeared in 158 and Jose Bautista in 149. But, Verlander faced 969 batters and had 50 chances in the field, meaning he effected 1,019 plays this season. Ellsbury had 729 plate appearances and 394 chances in the field, for 1,123 plays while Bautista had 655 PA and 333 chances, for 988 plays. So really, while Verlander did only play in 34 games, he had as many chances to effect the game as two other top MVP contenders.

It was this stat that completely changed my mind about the impact a pitcher has on a season vs. a positional player.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

It was this stat that completely changed my mind about the impact a pitcher has on a season vs. a positional player.

wow that is an unbelievable stat. I would have never guessed. you combine that to how many wins he had following a loss and you make a strong case.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

wow that is an unbelievable stat. I would have never guessed. you combine that to how many wins he had following a loss and you make a strong case.

The one bit that it misses is baserunning and stolen bases, but, setting that aside, this is the argument that convinced me a few years ago.

#8 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

I was going to put baserunning stats in, but they aren't all created equal. What is more valuable, Jacoby Ellsbury stealing second in the 4th inning with his team already up by 7 runs or Jose Bautista stealing second in the bottom of the 9th with his team down by one? Then you have to take TOOTBLANs in to account. I agree base running should be a factor, but figuring them in isn't easy. You'd also have to consider a pitchers pickoffs and stolen bases against.

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

I was going to put baserunning stats in, but they aren't all created equal. What is more valuable, Jacoby Ellsbury stealing second in the 4th inning with his team already up by 7 runs or Jose Bautista stealing second in the bottom of the 9th with his team down by one? Then you have to take TOOTBLANs in to account. I agree base running should be a factor, but figuring them in isn't easy. You'd also have to consider a pitchers pickoffs and stolen bases against.

Yeah, that's messy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).