11 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

So Mr. Vogelbach has been tearing up the minors thus far in his young career. He seems to show lots of power and losing some weight, he could be able to stick at 1B. With Rizzo most likely manning first for years to come, what do the Cubs do with Daniel. 

Some have said he could possibly play some left field but I don't buy that. I think his main position would be 1st or DH in the AL. So most likely he could be used in a trade to bring over pitching, since our minors offense is pretty deep. 

A lot of scenarios about him being involved in a trade for David Price, but I don't see the Cubs trying to land him or giving up a large haul just for him.

I would think that it would be a good idea to trade for minor league pitching, although rare that prospects are traded for each other. 

With Ike Davis struggling badly, maybe Vogelbach for a Syndergaard? Both are potential major leaguers who are far enough away that it would be the same amount of risk/reward for both teams. Mets have Harvey and Wheeler manning their rotation for years, with Neise and also have another guy in Familia who's supposed to be really good. (Note: I thought of this before they drafted Smith in the first round this weekend)

With Napoli on a 1 year deal, maybe the Red Sox get involved or even the Rays since they have a great pitching program.

My point is maybe instead of going after a top proven pitcher, bring in a younger prospect and build within since Vogelbach seemingly won't have much success on the Cubs. If the Cubs want Price, the Rays will demand Vogelbach along with other top prospects. 

Thoughts?

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Stay. Away. From. Price.

We are still 3-4 years from having to make a decision on Vog. So, there is no rush. Besides, if he does pan out the NL may have the DH as well.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

No, for a couple of reasons:

1. Teams don't like to trade prospects for prospects.  Typically, when a team wants a prospect, it is because they are similar to the 2012 Cubs.  When a team wants to get rid of a prospect, it is because they need to contend sooner, rather than later.

2. It makes little sense to trade an A ball prospect for an A ball prospect.  All you are doing is trading lottery tickets and bringing in (with the Syndergaard trade) the riskier lottery ticket.

3. By the time we might have to start worrying about who is a less-bad LF, the NL has a good chance of having the DH.  Even if it doesn't, you worry about whom is blocking whom, when they are actually both capable of holding down the same position.  Vogelbach is AT LEAST a year and a half away from causing the Cubs to have to think about that.

#4 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Stay. Away. From. Price.

We are still 3-4 years from having to make a decision on Vog. So, there is no rush. Besides, if he does pan out the NL may have the DH as well.

Ya, unless we can get him for Dillon Maples, no thanks. 

#5 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Stay. Away. From. Price.

Try 2-3 years. But I agree they should wait it out.

#6 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Worry about a position for a player that can hit is a great problem to have and moving him is a bad idea unless it part of a package for good MLB player. We've got time to worry about where he could field and a lot can happen in 2-4 yrs. if he continues to hit like this at AA he's even more valuable. Rizzo is not blocking anyone right now and if he ends up blocking V then that's a good problem to have.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#7 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

If he continues to own, I would love this kind of problem.  Hard to imagine that a couple years ago, we couldn't even dream of this kind of problem.  I just sounded redundant there... :lol:

#8 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Vogelbach isn't your average man without a position. He's a tank with legs. I remember back when Jake Fox was mashing away in the PCL and we were desperate for offense. His defense was notoriously bad, but everyone asked how bad could it possibly be? Well we learned it was a special kind of awful. Think The Great Khali stumbling around the outfield or 3rd base. Vog would have fit in well back in the 1920s when half the guys in baseball looked like that.

However in today's game, defense is much more valued. More spdcifically, in our current regime, defense is exceptionally valued. With an NL team, I don't think the question is will he be traded so much as when will be the optimal time.

Vogelbach's best hope is that he can become vintage Adam Dunn with the bat. Even then, he's more likely to become a trade chip than anything else.

I know somebody said that teams don't tend to trade prospects for prospects, but with more and more new age GM's in power, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen more frequently. Say there's a team with a surplus of pitching prospects but not much on offense, we could have a match. Oakland could be a perfect match for him, and Billy Beane's the Godfather of the new age GM's.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

"We are still 3-4 years from having to make a decision on Vog."

His value can only go up from here, and AL teams are always looking for lefty power bats, regardless of defensive position.  I think what Vogs can do with a bat is going to keep him employed in baseball for a long time.  I think this should be filed in the same category as Baez moving off SS, worry about in a year or two when it's really going to matter, otherwise, let him learn his craft and build his value. 

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

Just have to wait and see with Baez and Vogs for now.  I hope they rip it up in the minors, would give us a good problem.

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:24 AM

I agree with everyone else here... I'm not going to worry about him until he puts up an OPS over 1.000 in Iowa in a couple years

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:55 AM

I agree with everyone else here... I'm not going to worry about him until he puts up an OPS over 1.000 in Iowa in a couple years

Precisely.  That is what I am saying there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).