Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@xruben31
  • Facebook:Xavier Ruben Rice
  • LocationStreator, Illinois

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Cubs have bright future in the hitting department, but when it comes to pitching they like a true ace. There are many options but not many favorable, young enough or realistic. My pros and cons on the top options are:

David Price: The reigning AL Cy Young  winner, is an elite pitcher, he's reportedly open to sign a long-term contract; it would take a boatload of prospects, plus he's currently on the disabled list and he wasn't even pitching well before the injury. 

Take or pass: undecided. I would definitely take him if he were healthy and performing to his standards but for now undecided.

Clayton Kershaw: Last year's NL Cy Young runner up is in my opinion the best pitcher in the majors, he's only 25!!! He's a free agent after the 2014 season if he doesn't sign a long-term extension with the Dodgers first, and that is a big if considering they they can pay as much as anyone. Cubs could offer big money he would probably be they're first big time free agent; only con I can think of is he's probably gonna want contract around 10 year 250 million, he'd be 27 at the time of the contract.

Take or pass: take. 25 million 10 years seems like a lot because it is but when you have the opportunity to get the best pitcher in baseball and possibly future hall of famer for his prime year's you take it no matter what.

Jeff Samardzija: our current ace of staff is a really talented, young, flame thrower and he has all the makings of a great number 2 starter; He's a number 2 starter.

Any other options or opinions will be helpful.

#2 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Lack not like

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Stay. Away. From. Price!!!

Kershaw isn't going anywhere

Samardzija is getting close to being a true Ace.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

This is the only Ace:

fancy-duffman.jpg

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

Only in kickball. I hear he throws a mean 2 bounce pitch.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 X the cubs fan

X the cubs fan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

I think there is a chance Kershaw becomes a free agent and he would be the perfect free agent for this Team to make their first huge free agent signing since Theo took over.

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

I think there is a chance Kershaw becomes a free agent and he would be the perfect free agent for this Team to make their first huge free agent signing since Theo took over.

I think that there is almost no chance of Kershaw reaching free agency.  The deepest pockets in the league aren't going to let their best player walk.  They've proven their willingness to overspend, and they are going to do the same for Kershaw.

#8 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Here's a recent piece from Jayson Stark on Kershaw: 

Kershaw is another guy who seems to have his employers right where he wants them. On an underperforming team, surrounded by four teammates already working on nine-figure contracts, how do they not pay him -- the one star attraction who always lives up to his billing?

He's 25. He's the best pitcher in baseball. He's a year and change from free agency. So what's the scenario where the Dodgers let Clayton Kershaw leave?

"I don't think they can lose this guy," said one AL executive, speaking for, well, the rest of the human race.

The scuttlebutt out there is that Kershaw is looking for the first 10-year contract landed by any pitcher since the legendary Wayne Garland got 10 years, $2.3 million (total) from the Indians, back in 1977. Just at, um, slightly higher rates.

Well, you'd need to sip many glasses of cabernet to believe Kershaw winds up with 10 years guaranteed. But almost anything else seems feasible. Anything.

"He's not leaving L.A.," said one exec. "That's not going to happen. There's literally a one-half of one-percent chance he walks away. I could see him getting seven years, $200-210 million, something like that. And the only reason I could ever see him taking less is, he's a pitcher. I'm sure he's already got $200 million on the table. I don't know how he can go out to the mound and throw a ball with $200 million on the table. If I were his agent, I'd say, 'Let's wrap this up in the next two weeks,' just because anytime a pitcher throws a pitch, you never know what might happen."

#9 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

When/if Price gets healthy this year, I, along with the rest of baseball, am going to be watching his velocity stats very carefully.  

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

This is the only Ace:

fancy-duffman.jpg

HELL YEA - all others wimper under the power of THE ORIGINAL ACE

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

This is the only Ace:

fancy-duffman.jpg

Actually, unless I am mistaken, that's not the "original" Ace.  The original avi was far less professional looking.  I think the Cubs logo was smaller, too.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

This is the only Ace:

fancy-duffman.jpg

Actually, unless I am mistaken, that's not the "original" Ace.  The original avi was far less professional looking.  I think the Cubs logo was smaller, too.

The background is wrong.

#13 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Original Ace

ace_zps84f004a3.png

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Original Ace

ace_zps84f004a3.png

Boom.  Ace'd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).