#1 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

While I was watching the pregame yesterday, and they were talking about Ian Stewart's tweets, I swear Theo said something along the lines of, "We're getting the second most production out of third basemen in the league."

I know Valbuena has been pretty good, and Cody Ransom has played better than most thought he would, in the platoon role, but I had to have misheard that, right?

If I didn't mishear him, how is he getting those numbers? I know that Front Offices' have their own numbers and systems of ranking guys... so maybe they have some stat that combines offense/defense/who knows and they reached that conclusion?

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Ransom and Valbuena have combined for a .371 wOBA over 246 PA.  In all of MLB they are 6th, in the NL they are 2nd behind, of fucking course, Matt Carpenter.

GODDAMNFUCKINGCARDINALS

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

You mean, The Great Matt Carpenter.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Wow...no room for Bryant then I guess...

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

Seriously, though. This is about as long as you can expect guys like Ransom and Valbuena to perform at their current levels before they start showing their liabilities and limitations. Especially Ransom. (You can't say that about Carpenter since he is a goddamnfuckingcardinal and normal rules don't apply). I think Theo knows that, and is just spinning crap into gold

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

There is some cheating going on here though, I was suspicious of Carpenters status as a 3B and sure enough, he only has 15 starts over at 3rd this year so we'll throw the bum out and say Theo was wrong, the Cubs have the BEST 3B production in the NL.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

SELL SELL SELL.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

SELL SELL SELL.

If only the trade deadline were June 15 again.

#9 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

So, if Matt Carpenter doesn't count... Cubs third basemen are the most productive in the NL right now? Using the right stats, of course..

If someone would have told you that to start the year, your reaction would have been......???

#10 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

So, if Matt Carpenter doesn't count... Cubs third basemen are the most productive in the NL right now? Using the right stats, of course..

If someone would have told you that to start the year, your reaction would have been......???

My reaction would have been "Stewart's surgery must have been a huge success then".

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#11 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

wOBA correlates VERY well with runs scored (on a team basis over the past 10 years) but, ya, I'm sure there is a stat out there that says Barney is good at hitt...er, probably not.

Before Ian Stewart got Ian Stewarted, I would have believed you.  After he did, not so much.

#12 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

wOBA correlates VERY well with runs scored (on a team basis over the past 10 years) but, ya, I'm sure there is a stat out there that says Barney is good at hitt...er, probably not.

Before Ian Stewart got Ian Stewarted, I would have believed you.  After he did, not so much.

I wasn't trying to discount wOBA, I really like that stat. I just added that because I knew there'd be somebody to throw out some other stat and act as if I was stupid for assuming the platoon was the best 3B combo in the bigs.

#13 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

SELL SELL SELL.

If you can figure out how to sell two players in a platoon I'm all for it.

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

I wasn't trying to discount wOBA, I really like that stat. I just added that because I knew there'd be somebody to throw out some other stat and act as if I was stupid for assuming the platoon was the best 3B combo in the bigs.

It's all good, I was kind of backing up our liking of wOBA.

#15 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

I like this whole thread so far. Nice kickoff, jh03. Thanks for filling in some numbers, Joe.

Theo ... is just spinning crap into gold

True.

But be careful with the "just" part.

There are (at least) two types of gold here--the hype part, and the fact that (with this halved/small sample size) it is true. This kind of careful, thoughtful spinning of stuff into gold is one of Theo's greatest values to this organization. When we are closer to making a run for it, this kind of crap/gold may be what pushes us over the hump.

In the meantime:

SELL SELL SELL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).