25 replies to this topic

#1 Scotti

Scotti

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I posted about this in the comments but the "Voegelbach is so slow" meme is getting so old I thought I'd put it up here, too:  

As HS amateurs both Vogelbach and Rizzo attended Perfect Game and, as such, ran the 60.  Vogelbach's 7.15 is really respectable (on par with guys like Votto and it was before he lost 40 pounds).  Rizzo ran a very slow 7.40 (on par with an Easter Egg roll).  While this doesn't mean Vogelbach is anywhere near Rizzo defensively (he isn't), it DOES mean he isn't too slow to play a position (1B) in the majors.    

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's a huge difference between sprinting speed and "range" which combines other factors like reaction time, mobility, agility, and the ability to move laterally.

#3 Scotti

Scotti

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

This is true (and why I mentioned that Rizzo is the far better defender).  However, re. discussions of Vogelbach, we are nowhere near a scenario where folks are giving him too MUCH credit for his athleticism.  I've even seen "legitimate scouting services" rate him a 20/20 for speed--that's just stupid.  

#4 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

There is track speed fast, then there is on the field fast.  Jerry Rice didn't wow at the Combine, but he wowed on the field with his speed.  I wouldn't put too much stock on track speed in terms of baseball, unless Vogs is able to be as fast on the field.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Trust me, I am not saying Vogs is slow, I am just saying wait and see.

#6 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

There is track speed fast, then there is on the field fast.  Jerry Rice didn't wow at the Combine, but he wowed on the field with his speed.  I wouldn't put too much stock on track speed in terms of baseball, unless Vogs is able to be as fast on the field.

But Rice wasn't exactly slow, top end speed is usually something you either have or don't.  You might be able to shave a few tenths of a second off of a 40/60/100 if you are in decent shape and a second or so if you are totally out of shape by training.  Other than that you are either blessed with fast twitch muscles or you aren't.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I enjoy this conversation. Especially the Easter egg roll.

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

But Rice wasn't exactly slow, top end speed is usually something you either have or don't.  You might be able to shave a few tenths of a second off of a 40/60/100 if you are in decent shape and a second or so if you are totally out of shape by training.  Other than that you are either blessed with fast twitch muscles or you aren't.

Fair enough. :D

#9 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Flexibility is also a huge factor in Vog's low defensive rating

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

He needs to do some yoga then! ;)

#11 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

What is it with Californians and hippy-ism??????

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

What is it with Californians and hippy-ism??????

Hahaha, damn Hans! The gloves are off today!!!

#13 Timothy Scarbrough

Timothy Scarbrough

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

You can shave a lot more then a few tenths by getting into shape. Well, it depends what you mean by geting into shape, if you are going from top end high school talent to a professional athlete, it will probably just be a few tenths of a second. If you lose 40 pounds while gaining muscle mass at the same time, you'll probably drop a lot. Now, I don't know if Vogelbach really did get in a lot better shape, but if he did, he'd probably be significantly faster.

#14 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

You can shave a lot more then a few tenths by getting into shape. Well, it depends what you mean by geting into shape, if you are going from top end high school talent to a professional athlete, it will probably just be a few tenths of a second. If you lose 40 pounds while gaining muscle mass at the same time, you'll probably drop a lot. Now, I don't know if Vogelbach really did get in a lot better shape, but if he did, he'd probably be significantly faster.

Pretty sure we are talking about the same thing.

If you run say a 4.7/40 in high school, you aren't going to run a 4 flat no matter how much you work, you have to already be in good condition to run a 4.7.

Now if you run a 7 flat because you sat on the couch and watched people run in high school and then decided to join the Army and actually had to get into shape there's a good chance that you might be able to run a 6 flat or sub 6 after you got into shape and actually developed some of the muscles required to run well.

#15 Timothy Scarbrough

Timothy Scarbrough

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Pretty sure we are talking about the same thing.

If you run say a 4.7/40 in high school, you aren't going to run a 4 flat no matter how much you work, you have to already be in good condition to run a 4.7.

Now if you run a 7 flat because you sat on the couch and watched people run in high school and then decided to join the Army and actually had to get into shape there's a good chance that you might be able to run a 6 flat or sub 6 after you got into shape and actually developed some of the muscles required to run well.

I think more in terms of 100 meters. If you run a 14 seconds on a 100, you aren't in track shape, but you aren't that slow. Getting down to a 12 wouldn't be that hard, nor would you be that fast. Now seconds on a 40 is a lot faster then seconds on a 100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).