fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

I was reading the SI.com Power Rankings (please quickly skip past #1) and they always have interesting stats, player profiles, recent trends, etc for each team.

This week's ranking ( http://sportsillustr...13_a2&eref=sihp ) had this for the Cubs:

The Fielding Bible ranks Cubs catchers as the game's best defensively, having saved six runs this year. Closer inspection shows that all of those runs are credited to the backstop play of Welington Castillo, helping explain why he plays twice as much as Dioner Navarro despite an OPS that is 273 points lower.

WHOA.  That's freakin awesome for a guy who I thought was going to be an offense-first catcher.  Time to start up the Castillo for Gold Glove train!

I wasn't able to find the actual writeup, so I'm assuming it's only in print.  Bummer.

#2 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

This is surprising to me.  There was a stat during one of the games the other day the Cubs catchers have the worst percentage in MLB for throwing out base runners. I know that's not the end all be all for catchers defensively, but it's still important. I wonder how "runs saved" is calculated.

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...true/order/true

According to this Wellington is 7th out of "qualified" catchers

#4 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Navarro is second to last. That sucks lol

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

Castillo seems much improved compared to last year.  It is definitely less painful to watch.

#6 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

This is surprising to me.  There was a stat during one of the games the other day the Cubs catchers have the worst percentage in MLB for throwing out base runners. I know that's not the end all be all for catchers defensively, but it's still important. I wonder how "runs saved" is calculated.

From the Fielding Bible, I am guessing it incorporates the number of called strikes that should have been balls and the number of called balls that should have been strikes.

Certainly would explain a good chunk of our SP success this year.  Or maybe he'd be worth 50 runs defensively if it weren't for Sveum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).