#61 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'm not sure how many folks were around back then, but Die hard left for the better part of the 2011 (EDIT: or was it 2010?) season.  Kept posting Die hard-esque complaints about the She-View -- even though they were obviously a part of the rotation at that point -- made a big stink, and disappeared.  Stayed away until late September or October of that year.  Maybe if I'm courageously bored at work I'll try to dig up some of his She-View freakouts.  They were entertaining.

http://www.bleachern.../#comment-24515http://www.bleachern.../#comment-25071http://www.bleachern.../#comment-27838

Looking at those links, man... BN used to be cool.  What happened?

Things never feel as cool once the bandwagoners get on.

Even so, Ace would've had a rough time keeping the lights on with just us commenting.

I think it's one of those things we just have to be grateful we got to experience while we could. Nothing gold can stay, Pony Boy.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#62 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

I actually thought Die Hard was a woman at that time. May have even referred to him/her as such.

Totally.  I'm certain that when the Dick Tidrow stuff started happening shortly after his return, I referred to him as Dick Tidrow's aunt more than a few times.

Are we certain he's a he at this point? Has he made references in either direction?

Didn't Die hard post about being at a game, and visible to the TV cameras, a season or two ago?  Something about white hair and a cap?

Ace, can you search the comments, or can you, like us, only search the posts?

I can search comments (very limited - like, I can search for a particular poster OR a particular content, but not both), but my memory was that someone else said that was him, not that he confirmed it.

#63 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure how many folks were around back then, but Die hard left for the better part of the 2011 (EDIT: or was it 2010?) season.  Kept posting Die hard-esque complaints about the She-View -- even though they were obviously a part of the rotation at that point -- made a big stink, and disappeared.  Stayed away until late September or October of that year.  Maybe if I'm courageously bored at work I'll try to dig up some of his She-View freakouts.  They were entertaining.

http://www.bleachern.../#comment-24515http://www.bleachern.../#comment-25071http://www.bleachern.../#comment-27838

Even so, Ace would've had a rough time keeping the lights on with just us commenting.

I think it's one of those things we just have to be grateful we got to experience while we could. Nothing gold can stay, Pony Boy.

In terms of the comments portion of this gig, I certainly enjoyed that era much better, too. Hell, way back when it was still the old version of the site was awesome - 15 comments per post, and I could reply to all of them.

Alas, traffic has multiplied by 10 since 2011. And, with it comes ... stuff.

#64 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

It's the price of fame.

Please don't feed the psychos.

#65 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

In terms of the comments portion of this gig, I certainly enjoyed that era much better, too. Hell, way back when it was still the old version of the site was awesome - 15 comments per post, and I could reply to all of them.

Alas, traffic has multiplied by 10 since 2011. And, with it comes ... stuff.

FWIW, I wasn't really being nostalgic (or at all serious).  I'm very happy for your success.  And I really don't mind the chaos out front, especially when crazy stupid shit like yesterday afternoon's insanity happens.  I get a kick out of it when I want to, and ignore it when I don't.

But that's why the MB is better.  I get a kick out of it much more frequently than I do the front page.

#66 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

That reminds me of this.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#67 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

So what if, and mind you, this is pure speculation, what if die hard is simply Brett's alter ego made to spice up discussions on the main page? Think about it. Brett writes all of this reasonable logical stuff and then thinks "So how can I contrast it? Oh, I know. I'll come up with completely ludicrous thoughts an ideas under an assumed identity." Over time, the character has become better developed and more absurd.
And gave us the board mascot.
Think about it....
( I hope I didn't just pull the mask off of ol' Lone Ranger.)

I assume Brett is making everyone up. In fact I had a Noisebot T-shirt shipped to my house to confirm that at least I am real.

I made Brett up. Trivia: My initial draft of Brett was 6'6" with blond hair. I workshopped that, and the result is what you see today.

Haha. Oh, mercy.

The good news is that the t-shirt arrived at my house today, so I must exist.

The bad news is that the t-shirt is in Brett's size, so he probably has control over my life.

If you are in Massachusetts and see a big guy wearing a size medium t-shirt that says:trophy-thumb.png           say, hi. 

#68 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Fenway, I like to call those shirts smediums. Or, Hochuli's wardrobe (who I refer to as Herchulis).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#69 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

... and ignore it when I don't. 

What is this "eye-ga-no-ree" that you speak of?

#70 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

reason #217: people here don't take die hard's comments seriously

#71 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Man the main page has just become a series of reactionary, uninformed, and frustrating complaining. Thankfully Campy is longer on the team because the cries for team scrappiness would be unbearable.

Dog and cats living together. SMH

I'm losing the desire to even reply lately.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#72 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Ya, there are a few posters I reply to but the Castro hate is getting unbearable. I think there are some fans who'd pick apart even mike trout.

#73 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yeah I think your right about Trout, can you imagine if this team did sign Pujols & Hamilton how much complaining would be happening now (from the same people that were screaming for The Cubs to sign them). Fucking ESPN, Skip Bayless, and Stephen A Smith and their definition of "debate" has really ruined intelligent sport debate.

And when did the main page start to hate science and advanced metrics. It's only takes a few comments before someone cries "I don't care what the sabermetrics say" and then 4/5 people agree with them.

Time for a PAY WALL ;)

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#74 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

And when did the main page start to hate science and advanced metrics. It's only takes a few comments before someone cries "I don't care what the sabermetrics say" and then 4/5 people agree with them.

People don't like it when evidence challenges their notions of reality. By definition, the more close-minded the person, the more upsetting they find it.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#75 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Yeah I think your right about Trout, can you imagine if this team did sign Pujols & Hamilton how much complaining would be happening now (from the same people that were screaming for The Cubs to sign them). Fucking ESPN, Skip Bayless, and Stephen A Smith and their definition of "debate" has really ruined intelligent sport debate.
Time for a PAY WALL ;)

Maybe it's time for the upvote/downvote system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).