[4.25M] SU Jesse Crain [FA]

[0.55M] CL Tanner Scheppers

-8.25M-

-12.0M- (Soriano)

-04.0M- (Fujikawa)

-02.0M- (Soler)

-06.6M- (12 others on the 40 man)

$92.9M Payroll

I still don't know where Feldman's going to go... his bat will be awesome in any NL lineup. Maybe we surprise everyone and extend him instead of Garza?!

#2 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Interesting suggestions.  I have a couple things that are bugging me though.  I can't imagine getting Kinsler that easily.  And I am not sure that I want Turner.

#3 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

Otherwise, I like it. :D

#4 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I love your thought process but a few things I disagree with: First off no way in hell do the cubs get Kinsler and Tanner Scheppers for a half a year of Garza and Camp.  Also throw out the KC deal b/c all the KC blogs I read show they think very very highly of Yordano Ventura.  I really like your Stanton deal and I feel its one of the best one's I have read on a msg board but I would choose to pass on that deal.  Also the Tigers do not need an outfielder since they have nick castellanos coming up in a few weeks.  Morse also signs for 3 yrs min to a deal in the offseason.  I could see Feldman traded to the O's for Eduardo Rodriguez (O's #4 prospect) and Michael Belfiore, I could see you Soriano to Pitt deal, I could also see a prospect like Martin Perez that was once highly regarded and the Rangers have moved past being traded for Garza.  Here is my 2 cents

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Now with DeJesus' shoulder strain, I think it's very likely he'll end up staying on the Cubs to start 2014.

Ian Kinsler would be a pure salary dump, because he is owed a guaranteed $62M over the next 5 years and the Rangers have two very good options in wait, as Profar or Garcia would be taking over 2B. Ian's had injury problems in his history, so I think the deal is fair. Maybe we send Gregg (instead of Camp) to Texas instead of Detroit, since they are in the same division, so that could help our cause. Mitch Moreland is still in arbitration and staying at 1B because of a large outfield free agent market next year. That money from Kinsler off of their books would help them retain Nelson Cruz or sign someone else. I don't necessarily believe that the Cubs would do this either, because we have Watkins, Alcantara, Baez, and Bruno in line to usurp Darwin Barney, who are cheaper and could produce better power numbers than Kinsler. I think if we send Garza out there, we'll get RHRP Tanner Scheppers and power lefty, LF Nick Williams (#20).

I think with Infante, Peralta, Pena, and Kelly being free agents next year (and Avila hurt and batting .172 anyway), the Tigers need catchers, some infield, and bullpen help. I think they'll want Barney, Navarro, and Gregg to help secure some a need in the future and get a couple boosts for the playoff push. I think we can get LHSP Jose Alvarez (former '05 Red Sox draftee with 16/84 BB/K% in AAA) or Rick Porcello.

The Orioles need some help to their rotation. Feldman and Villanueva are good candidates. I think we could get OF L.J. Hoes (#6) (has 1:1 BB/K%) and RHSP Tyler Wilson (#20) if we added Nate Schierholtz to DH for them.

2014:
[09.0M] CF David DeJesus (L) / Scott Hairston
[1.65M] LF L.J. Hoes / Ryan Sweeney (L)
[1.25M] RF Giancarlo Stanton
[1.25M] 1B Anthony Rizzo (L)
[1.55M] 3B Luis Valbuena (L) / Josh Vitters
[05.0M] SS Starlin Castro
[8.55M] C Jarrod Saltalamacchia (S) [FA] / Welington Castillo
[1.10M] 2B Logan Watkins (L) / Donovan Solano
-29.35M-

[3.45M] SP Jeff Samardzija
[0.55M] SP Jacob Turner
[0.55M] SP Alex Colome
[0.55M] SP Jose Alvarez (L)
[11.0M] SP Edwin Jackson
-16.1M-

[0.55M] LR Yoanner Negrin
[0.55M] LR Blake Parker
[0.55M] RP Watson or Wilson (L)
[0.55M] RP Henry Rodriguez
[4.25M] SU Jesse Crain [FA]
[1.25M] SU James Russell (L)
[0.55M] CL Tanner Scheppers
-8.25M-

-12.0M- (Soriano)
-04.0M- (Fujikawa)
-02.0M- (Soler)
-06.6M- (other 12 on the 40 man)

= $78.3M 2014 Payroll

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Isn't Watkins going to be ready in a year or so anyway?

#7 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Kisnler's power numbers in his career: 14, 20, 18 31, 9, 32, 19, 7(this year) for an average of 20 HR a season not counting this years numbers since its only 3 months in. Youre expecting MORE power from one of the Cubs 2B prospects? 

Also if the "proposed" rotation of Shark, Turner, Alvarez, Colome, and Ejax is the real rotation the Cubs are going to suck again. Thats an ace, 3 4/5 guys, and then whatever Ejax is (3/4/5?) not exactly an awe-inspiring rotation

#8 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

I agree Kygavin if that was the rotation for the cubs, it would be a very sad year.  I would rather the cubs make a run at Price than Stanton (if he checks out of course)  I have a crazy trade idea for you: Since the Dodgers are not going to go into rebuild mode and they want to send Either packing what about Garza and Gregg for Either and low level prospects with the Dodgers covering 30million?  The cubs would only do this deal if they could not get any top prospects from other teams and with the way teams are holding onto prospects this might be a pretty good deal.  This would give the 2014 cubs 

Dejesus/Jackson 

Castro 

Either 

Rizzo

schierholtz/Hairston (Soler mid season call up)

Valbuena/Ransom or Vitters (Bryant mid season call up)

saltalamacchia/Castillo

Barney or Lake

Pitching:

Price (if he checks out) Rays get: Javier Baez, Dan Vogelbach, and Pierce Johnson. (he signs a 7 yr 147 mil deal)

Shark

Jackson

Wood

Jason Vargas/Scott Baker/Paul Maholm (a pitcher of this caliber)

we would pay 15 of Soriano's deal.

#9 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

I really hope the Cubs dont trade for Ethier. Even if the Dodgers cover a ton of money you still have an overpaid platoon OF. Ethier for his career is hitting 236/294/351 vs LHP and its even worse this year at 221/256/325. Id rather have Soriano's bad contract than Ethier's because at least Soriano's is almost done

#10 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

I really hope the Cubs dont trade for Ethier. Even if the Dodgers cover a ton of money you still have an overpaid platoon OF. Ethier for his career is hitting 236/294/351 vs LHP and its even worse this year at 221/256/325. Id rather have Soriano's bad contract than Ethier's because at least Soriano's is almost done

I agree there.  Please no Ethier.

#11 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

I would probably agree with both of your stance on Ethier and for me its just the # of years on his contract, I was just wanting to hear some thoughts on it.  The point I am trying to make is he is not as bad as ppl are making him out to be, he's just over payed.  I am/was totally on board with the rebuild but if the cubs do another year of it next year, I will start to get pretty pissed.  If the cubs roll out an outfield of Soriano, Dejesus, and Schierholtz/Hairston.  It will be another very ugly season.

#12 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

I would probably agree with both of your stance on Ethier and for me its just the # of years on his contract, I was just wanting to hear some thoughts on it.  The point I am trying to make is he is not as bad as ppl are making him out to be, he's just over payed.  I am/was totally on board with the rebuild but if the cubs do another year of it next year, I will start to get pretty pissed.  If the cubs roll out an outfield of Soriano, Dejesus, and Schierholtz/Hairston.  It will be another very ugly season.

I agree with that but I dont think going after Ethier is the right move either. As bad as it has been Nate and DeJesus havent been terrible but they are also platoon OF just a hell of a lot cheaper than Ethier would be. 

I think Stanton is the obvious target here and I think the Cubs have the pieces to get it done, just depends on if Jed/Theo want to make them available. My best guess on a deal is:

Wood, Baez, Jackson, Lake, Pierre Johnson, and another arm (most likely close to the bigs so Im thinking Coleman/Raley/Rusin) for Stanton and Ruggiano (last arb elg year and is 31=salary dump)

#13 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

I agree with that but I dont think going after Ethier is the right move either. As bad as it has been Nate and DeJesus havent been terrible but they are also platoon OF just a hell of a lot cheaper than Ethier would be. 

I think Stanton is the obvious target here and I think the Cubs have the pieces to get it done, just depends on if Jed/Theo want to make them available. My best guess on a deal is:

Wood, Baez, Jackson, Lake, Pierre Johnson, and another arm (most likely close to the bigs so Im thinking Coleman/Raley/Rusin) for Stanton and Ruggiano (last arb elg year and is 31=salary dump)

After thinking about it a bit I might be a little low in what the Cubs offer

#14 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

I don't think that trade gets it done, every time I think of an offer from the cubs I ask myself "what would other teams give?" I look at an offer from Texas, Boston, Mets, Mariners, St Louis, Yankees.  If the cubs really want to go after someone it will be a pitcher.  What if St Louis thinks "Hey we lose Beltran next year and we need a stud outfielder."  They could offer Wacha, Tavares, and Tyrell Jenkins.  No way can the cubs beat that offer or if the Mariners jump in and want an impact bat since the struck out with Upton and offer Taijuan Walker, Stephen Pryor, and Nick Franklin.  I could really see the Mariners over paying in an attempt for the GM to keep his job.

#15 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I don't think that trade gets it done, every time I think of an offer from the cubs I ask myself "what would other teams give?" I look at an offer from Texas, Boston, Mets, Mariners, St Louis, Yankees.  If the cubs really want to go after someone it will be a pitcher.  What if St Louis thinks "Hey we lose Beltran next year and we need a stud outfielder."  They could offer Wacha, Tavares, and Tyrell Jenkins.  No way can the cubs beat that offer or if the Mariners jump in and want an impact bat since the struck out with Upton and offer Taijuan Walker, Stephen Pryor, and Nick Franklin.  I could really see the Mariners over paying in an attempt for the GM to keep his job.

I agree that if other teams pony up idk if the Cubs can compete, especially if the Marlins want pitching, but if they want bats the Cubs have a ton of good ones and especially one that could stick at SS and possibly be a 30 HR guy, that is a ton of value. If they are looking for arms the Cubs have no shot tho, kind of like Upton. 

I do think that the Cubs could offer more than Texas (who wont deal Profar...they say...), the Mets and Yankees. I dont see the Cards being in on this just because they have Tavares that can fill in for Beltran next year plus they REALLY need a SS. Of course if they do decide to go after Stanton there really isnt much keeping them from being the front runners, that system is DEEP and talented. Boston in my eyes comes down to whose bat do you like better between Bogaerts or Baez as to who would be in front there (i tend to go Bogaerts since he is closer to the bigs but this is the Marlins we are talking about). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).