Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Growing up, my buddies and I would play baseball everyday...two on two, three on three...or even just one on one.  One of our favorite things to do would be to play a seven game "series" of three inning games.  One side would pick an AL team, the other an NL team.  Since we were playing these little games during summer vacation, it would always be hard to rationalize one side choosing the Cubs because they were consistently out of the pennant chase.  Oh, we would try...stating that the Cubs had some miraculous comeback in late July and August...but invariably we would have to pick a National League team that had a chance of actually playing in the World Series that year. (I realize to those under 40 or so, this whole idea of playing baseball outside...and pretending to be players, may seem a bit silly and foreign...I know you played this on RBI Baseball or Baseball Stars or MLB2Kwhatever...but just stay with me here...)

2013 would be an extremely difficult year to pretend the Cubs will be in the World Series. 

So...why watch?  Fortunately for a puck-head like myself, I still have the Blackhawks.( at least for two more games...gulp) Yet once baseball is the only game in town...and the Cubs are as dreadful as they are...what to make of the rest of this season? Here are some ideas:

1. BEATING THE WHITE SOX- Yes, I know...we have already won the 367th most coveted trophy in all of sport-The BP Cup!...and we have the team picture to prove it! However this isn't enough, I would like to see us pass the White-Sox in the standings. The Cubs currently trail the Sox by 1.5 games. Come on Cubs!...Don't you hate that arrogant condescending blabber mouthed living in the past Hawk Harrelson fella as much as I do? How about that turncoat Steve Stone..."For all of you youngsters out there, when dealing with a cantankerous old broadcast partner, just ignore him and contribute sporadically"

2. THE BASE ON BALLS RACE BETWEEN SORIANO, CASTILLO AND CASTRO- These three Cubs are locked in an absolutely Dunstonian battle for on-base via a walk futility.  Currently, Castro leads with 11(double digits!), Soriano has 9 and the hard-charging(he had 1 in like his first 150 at bats) Castillo.  Keep swinging boys!

3. THE TRADE DEADLINE- Ahhhh...Christmas in July for Cubs' fans!  How many top prospects are we going to get? Who is going to be this year's Micah Bowie? An even more intriguing question...will our guys with no-trade or partial no trade clauses accept deals to better the club...I am looking at you Mr. I ride my bike to the park everyday and owe my resurrected career to the Cubs Ryan Dempster!

4. THE TEAM RECORD FOR BLOWN SAVES- That pesky Kevin Gregg has greatly lessoned our hopes at this record!  The 1996 Colorado Rockies blew a record 39 saves, the Cubs currently sit at 14, so it's going to take some work.  If Gregg gets traded at the deadline, the record may be back in play.

5. ANY OF THE BLACKHAWKS SINGING THE 7TH INNNING STRETCH- It won't matter if they win the Cup or not...these dudes are the most popular athletes in all of Chicago right now! Imagine the stretch with their adorable Canadian accents..."Take me ute ta tha ball-game, take me ute ta tha crude"...and if they don't win the Stanley Cup we can cheer them up by letting them hold the prestigious BP cup.

It's almost as good.

@OswegoChris23                @BBCG104Reasons

#2 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

(I realize to those under 40 or so, this whole idea of playing baseball outside...and pretending to be players, may seem a bit silly and foreign...I know you played this on RBI Baseball or Baseball Stars or MLB2Kwhatever...but just stay with me here...)

I'm only 19 and I played baseball outside everyday over my summers, when I was a kid. We'd do the same thing as you, play 2 on 2, or 3 on 3. It was great. We'd also play baseball with tennis balls in the back yard... Hell, my favorite was when we'd only have 3 guys so we'd go the diamond and have a home run derby by hitting golf balls that we'd lob up (we were little, so at this time hitting a baseball out of the infield was an accomplishment).  

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

Chris - great stuff as usual! I long for some of those old neighborhood baseball games!

Here is one more reason of mine to keep watching this year:

Whenever the Cubs win a game, especially a close, exciting one (remember those?), I have been known to do my "Cubs Win! Cubs Win! Cubs Win!" Harry Caray impression as the last out is recorded. My 3 beautiful dogs were around for the 2007, 2008 seasons, so they became very aware that those were happy words. They would immediately get up and start jumping up down on each other and on me and on my wife.

Well, I'm afraid the doggies may be forgetting what those words mean and all the joy that's associated with them. So I need to watch every game now, more than ever -- just in case the Cubbies pull one out late or hold onto a late lead, so I can make my doggies happy again and make sure they remember the words. I figure we might have a small handful of opportunities and I don't want to miss any.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

There's really only one reason:

Because baseball is awesome, and Chicago Cubs baseball is the awesomest (even when the team is not).

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I'm only 19 ... when I was a kid.

Something is off here a bit.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I just bought your book based on you creating and using the word, "Dunstonian".  Gold, my friend.  Pure gold.

#7 jh03

jh03

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Twitter:@jh_03

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm only 19 ... when I was a kid.

Something is off here a bit.

Haha, fair enough. I meant like a little kid, now I'm just a big kid!

#8 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Pete, and actually if my book doesn't totally suck in the sales department...the term Dunstonian will be featured in my second book...

unless I don't sell enough of the first book...of which I have no idea yet....

#9 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Depends on which Hawk they get.  I'd personally like to have Hossa do it with his accent.

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hossa would hurt himself practicing for it.

#11 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Pete, and actually if my book doesn't totally suck in the sales department...the term Dunstonian will be featured in my second book...

unless I don't sell enough of the first book...of which I have no idea yet....

Was this a sales pitch?

#12 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

Veiled yes....apparently not enough...

#13 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

Gold, my friend.  Pure gold.

KennyBania.jpg

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#14 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

IR, you have to hit the photo button, then paste the web address for the photo. You can't upload anything. Ace would have to get a much larger server to host all of the photos, video and gifs we put on the site.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#15 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

IR, you have to hit the photo button, then paste the web address for the photo. You can't upload anything. Ace would have to get a much larger server to host all of the photos, video and gifs we put on the site.

See http://knowyourmeme....name-extensions .

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).