Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

That means it is safe to watch highlight shows without having half a dozen boring, routine dunks stuffed down our throats as examples of the greatest thing since whatever the last greatest thing was.

Unfortunately, highlight sanity season is brief.  In a few months it'll vanish again, and the madness will continue.

/sigh

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Ya, I'm soooo sad that basketball season is over, oh my, what will I ever do with myself. (Wailing and gnashing of teeth)

Outside of baseball, there really aren't any sports I really give much of a damn about.

#3 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Pro basketball has become one long exhibition game. They can exhibit themselves all they want. I don't have to watch (although I watched the second half of the second-to-last game of this series long enough to remind myself why Miami is a horrible place). 

Was the NBA always this bad? I remember Bulls/Celtics games that were full of passion. Fans and more importantly, players cared.

Some of my favorite matchups in the 70's were between the Cavs and the Celtics, oddly. They always gave us a good game.

Or was I just young?

#4 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

Dont get too excited, now the big highlight shows *cough Sportscenter cough* will just talk about how good Lebron is and what his legacy is for 3 months until NFL starts

#5 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Being from the Derby City, I never had an NBA team to latch on to; of course Michael Jordan and the Bulls were appealing to me because I've always been a Cubs fan, but the Pacers are closer geographically, so I guess I just root for anyone against NY or LA. That being said, as an "outsider" there are about 3 series that have really stuck out in my mind as being competitive and fun to watch...

#1. Thunder vs Mavericks Western Conference finals 2011... so good... the best basketball I have ever seen

#2. Bulls vs Jazz '98 Finals, so good

#3. Celtics vs. Lakers 2010 Finals, the "Big 3" trend starts.

#6 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Was the NBA always this bad? I remember Bulls/Celtics games that were full of passion. Fans and more importantly, players cared.

Some of my favorite matchups in the 70's were between the Cavs and the Celtics, oddly. They always gave us a good game.

Or was I just young?

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.  I remember the '98 Eastern Conference Finals between Indiana and Chicago, and I know there was more going on than dunks, threes, flops, showboating, and crying to the refs.  Sometimes I still wonder what would have happened if Game 7 had been on a neutral floor.

At least the college game is still worth watching.  Except for the major programs, anyway.  They look exactly like the NBA half the time.

Give me more games like Butler v Gonzaga and I'll be a happy Hoosier.  

#7 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

#2. Bulls vs Jazz '98 Finals, so good

I'm a Jazz fan. That series hurts my heart.

#8 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Or was I just young?

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.  I remember the '98 Eastern Conference Finals between Indiana and Chicago, and I know there was more going on than dunks, threes, flops, showboating, and crying to the refs.  Sometimes I still wonder what would have happened if Game 7 had been on a neutral floor.

At least the college game is still worth watching.  Except for the major programs, anyway.  They look exactly like the NBA half the time.

I know he doesn't care; however, Lebron would be much more popular if every non-scoring play didn't end with him whining to the refs.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Or was I just young?

I know he doesn't care; however, Lebron would be much more popular if every non-scoring play didn't end with him whining to the refs.

Hansman, I have solved that problem by not watching the NBA for the last 10 years.

Luke, you forgot about all the crying Reggie Miller always did. Of course it wasn't during a play. He actually waited for a break in the action.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, but Miller was like the only guy on that team who did.  Jackson too, to some extent.  

Now it seems like guys come off the bench just to be designated whiners.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Two of my local boys went in the top four of the draft last night. I was kind of surprised by Zeller though. I actually thought he should have stayed another year.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).