51 replies to this topic

#1 NathanDonald13

NathanDonald13

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Will any of those three be on the big league roster in 2012 or are we still a year or so away?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

Szczur definitely not - last year was his first full year of professional ball. Vitters and Lake are a highly likely no, also - at least at the start of the year. Vitters still needs to improve his pitch selection at the plate, and has a long way to go on defense. Lake's athleticism is big-league ready, as is his arm. But he's struggled against AA pitching, and is still quite young.

My guess is they're all a year away (or more).

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

I would say maybe to Vitters...the other guys no way....as we have disucssed on this site we have a horrible track record with rushing prospects and therefore ruining their potential value as trade assets,,,,

the reason I would consider Vitters is that even though he is only 22 he is not viewed as a "hot" prospect by other teams, and at this point he has more value as a potential Cub in my opinion....

and remember....I just said I would consider it dependent on spring...

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

I expect that one or two these players will be traded to secure some young big leauge talent. Headley will require a top prospect and one of these will be included in that deal.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

I could see Vitters taking a step forward in his development and getting a shot late in the season. Sczcur and Lake are two years away at least, so no shot on either of them I think.

I also agree with Goat, one of these three, if not more, is likely to be traded at some point, they are three of the more desirable Cubs prospects. If they trade for any major league impact players, these are the kinds of prospects the Cubs will have to give up.

#6 ncsujuri

ncsujuri

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook:ncsujuri
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

September call up for Vitters after he hits around .270 at AAA this year....

- It's a great day for a ballgame, LET'S PLAY TWO!

#7 BABIP

BABIP

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hitting approach is key. I don't see Vitters or Lake in a Cubs uniform unless they can greatly improve their hitting approach.

#8 teking

teking

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hitting approach is key. I don't see Vitters or Lake in a Cubs uniform unless they can greatly improve their hitting approach.

what if things get out of hand with stewart at 3rd?

#9 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Vitters still needs to learn to recognize pitches he can hit hard and stop swinging at pitchers' pitches. He also needs to continue improving his defense.

Lake IMHO may be even farther away than Szczur. I hope the powers that be can decide on his best future position (2B, 3B, OF or P) and move him there ASAP.

#10 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

I expect that one or two these players will be traded to secure some young big league talent. Headley will require a top prospect and one of these will be included in that deal.

Nailed it - my thoughts exactly. And I am not so sure that Theo and Jed are as high on the old regime's top prospects as we are. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of those guys traded, though I think Lake is a long shot. Theo definitely has an affinity for the SS position.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#11 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

I know it might be an insensitive question, but do Starlin Castro's potential legal problems increase the value of Lake? Or is it still to soon to tell? Either way, he seems to have shot up in the rankings a lot of places after his performance this fall.

Now that we see the direction this regime is moving the organization, I don't think any of them get moved. If any are, I would expect it to be Vitters, simply because he is on the 40 man roster.

#12 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

I don't see Theo being a big fan of past draft picks of the previous regime. Have I said that before? I think Vitters is toast because of his free swinging style, personally, and I think Theo and Jed might sell high on him right now. Heck, who knows - maybe he's the guy we give to the Red Sox for compensation (it wouldn't surprise me). If Ian Stewart doesn't work out at 3rd, maybe they bump Castro over to make room for one of the younger, better defensive SS in the system right now.

#13 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

...and Bleacher Bum. BAM!

#14 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

I don't see Lake as anything more than a future bench bat. Statistically, he has been nothing special and is approach (offensively and defensively) is apparently awful per a few scouts (Keith Law, for one). Jedstein need to find a GM who falls in love with Lake's "tools" and sell, sell, sell.

#15 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I don't see Lake as anything more than a future bench bat. Statistically, he has been nothing special and is approach (offensively and defensively) is apparently awful per a few scouts (Keith Law, for one). Jedstein need to find a GM who falls in love with Lake's "tools" and sell, sell, sell.

I was going to paste some stats of Lake's to prove you wrong, but instead I have to agree with everything you said.

I should really consider checking stats before I post on a player, huh? eh, nah, what's the fun in that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).