#31 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Definitely possible! I've always been excited by the prospect of having the two of them roaming the outfield together, but it's hard to tell what Theo and Jed will do. I get the feeling they're not real attached to any Cub prospects that were here before they came to town. In fairness, I'm usually wrong.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#32 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

I think Szczur is prime trade bait. With Jackson coming through, and the possibility of Cespedes, there may not be much room for him in the future. I'm hoping for a great year out of him and then deal him next offseason for an impact player.

That'd be nice. But Szczur has a very slappy swing. He's gotta get more drive with his lower body and improve his power numbers at least a bit. Not impossible as he IS extremely athletic, but still gotta happen.

#33 JulioZuleta

JulioZuleta

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

I think Szczur is prime trade bait. With Jackson coming through, and the possibility of Cespedes, there may not be much room for him in the future. I'm hoping for a great year out of him and then deal him next offseason for an impact player.

That'd be nice. But Szczur has a very slappy swing. He's gotta get more drive with his lower body and improve his power numbers at least a bit. Not impossible as he IS extremely athletic, but still gotta happen.

Keep in mind this was his first offseason without football. A kid that works as hard as he does, and is relatively raw like he is, could make some serious gains in 6 months. He did hit 10 HRs last year, there's some power there/

#34 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Keep in mind this was his first offseason without football. A kid that works as hard as he does, and is relatively raw like he is, could make some serious gains in 6 months. He did hit 10 HRs last year, there's some power there/

Not really any disagreements here.

#35 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

I think the Cubs need at least another season or two to get a get handle on Szczur's skills and deficiencies as a baseball player. I'd hate for them to trade him before that happens.

#36 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

I think the Cubs need at least another season or two to get a get handle on Szczur's skills and deficiencies as a baseball player. I'd hate for them to trade him before that happens.

Agree completely.

#37 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

But what if, like most position players Hendry/Wilken drafted, he's much more deficiency than skill?

#38 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Crockett, you seem to be very opinionated when it comes to Cub prospects. I'm just curious where you get your info on them from? Do you live near a minor league stadium where you frequent games often, or do you scan the internet for articles on prospects?

I personally live near Peoria, so I do get to see some A ball on occasion. Other than that, I am only able to see the occasional highlight reels and/or updates via scouting report sites.

The reason I am asking this specifically is that I haven't seen much at all on Szczur, and what I have seen has been extremely positive. If you have some other places you're reading up on these guys, I'd love to have the links. I have trouble finding good info on minor league players currently.

#39 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Crockett, you seem to be very opinionated when it comes to Cub prospects. I'm just curious where you get your info on them from? Do you live near a minor league stadium where you frequent games often, or do you scan the internet for articles on prospects?

I personally live near Peoria, so I do get to see some A ball on occasion. Other than that, I am only able to see the occasional highlight reels and/or updates via scouting report sites.

The reason I am asking this specifically is that I haven't seen much at all on Szczur, and what I have seen has been extremely positive. If you have some other places you're reading up on these guys, I'd love to have the links. I have trouble finding good info on minor league players currently.

I am lucky enough to be able to travel to see about 30 minor league games a year, plus have paying memberships to Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, and ESPN Insider (only baseball writer worth anything there anymore is Keith Law, and he's really good). My personal view is that Szczur is a 4th OFer. Elite defense but a very poor mechanical swing. That being said, he's an exceptional athlete and still is very young, professional at-bats wise, and could overcome some of his deficiencies. I just don't hold out too much hope for his type of player. Plenty of them have come into professional baseball and failed once they reach the higher levels.

#40 npnovak

npnovak

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Twitter:@npnovak

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Szczur was at Peoria for most of the year, right?

#41 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Szczur was at Peoria for most of the year, right?

Yep 66 games Peoria. 43 in Daytona.

#42 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

He was promoted to Daytona 07/09/11 and played 66 games in Peoria prior to that.

#43 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

The problem the Cubs will face with Szczur is his contract required the Cubs to put him on the 40-man roster this offseason, about two years earlier than would have otherwise made sense. And when the 40-man is as tight as it's been, that can be a problem when you've got to carry a guy on it for, like, two years before he's even remotely ready for the bigs.

#44 NormB

NormB

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:nbothwell11
  • LocationBurbs

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

I am lucky enough to be able to travel to see about 30 minor league games a year, plus have paying memberships to Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, and ESPN Insider (only baseball writer worth anything there anymore is Keith Law, and he's really good). My personal view is that Szczur is a 4th OFer. Elite defense but a very poor mechanical swing. That being said, he's an exceptional athlete and still is very young, professional at-bats wise, and could overcome some of his deficiencies. I just don't hold out too much hope for his type of player. Plenty of them have come into professional baseball and failed once they reach the higher levels.

I could'nt agree more with that....Szczur is the Tebow of Cubs prospects! He's that good guy that just HAS to be good...

#45 dabynsky

dabynsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

The problem the Cubs will face with Szczur is his contract required the Cubs to put him on the 40-man roster this offseason, about two years earlier than would have otherwise made sense. And when the 40-man is as tight as it's been, that can be a problem when you've got to carry a guy on it for, like, two years before he's even remotely ready for the bigs.

The 40 man roster issue is certainly an issue, but that is an immediate issue. Isn't there also long term issue with Szczur being placed on the 40 man roster meaning an option is burnt to send him down this year, and that he will have to be able to stick on the Cubs roster within 3 years? Or am I mistaken on this point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).