#1 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Right now, lefty, Drew Smyly is pitching extremely well out of the Tigers' bullpen, but he is a starter. He is 4th in FIP (min 40 IP), 9.48 / 2.47 K/BB/9, 0.21 HR/9, 2.4% HR/FB.

Francisco Liriano is a free agent next year, he's 6th in FIP (min 40 IP), 10.04 / 3.62 K/BB/9, 0.33 HR/9, 5.4% HR/FB.

Another Tiger, Max Scherzer is a potential free agent in 2015, he's 8th in FIP (min 40 IP), 10.63 / 2.09 K/BB/9, 0.78 HR/9, 8.7% HR/FB.

Clayton Kershaw, the lefty from LA, is a potential free agent in 2015, he's 11th in FIP (min 40 IP), 8.81 / 2.54 K/BB/9, 0.48 HR/9, 6.2% HR/FB.

Homer Bailey is a potential free agent in 2015, he's 13th in FIP (min 40 IP), 8.91 / 2.16 K/BB/9, 0.56 HR/9, 8.1% HR/FB.

Justin Masterson is a potential free agent in 2015, he's 38th in FIP (min 40 IP), 9.11 / 3.56 K/BB/9, 0.66 HR/9, 10.0% HR/FB

(min 40 IP)

Samardijza is 25th in FIP

Wood is 46th in FIP

Jackson is 50th in FIP

Feldman is 80th in FIP

Villanueva is 95th in FIP

Garza is 110th in FIP

#2 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Cant use Smyly's numbers in relief and compare them to starters numbers. His stuff can play up out of the pen and he doesnt have to turn a lineup over. I hope Theo and Jed are smarter than to bring on Liriano. He is going to get paid by someone and go back to the good ol Francisco Liriano that we all know and love and who is allergic to the strike zone. Im also wary about Masterson because he doesnt have a pitch to get lefties out. He is strictly a sinker-slider guy and while those are really really good pitches he doesnt have anything to keep lefties honest. 

The rest I wouldnt have a problem with but are going to come with high price tags, especially Kershaw who probably wont make it to FA

#3 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Kershaw would be nice, but I feel we would have to gut the rest of free agency if we chose to go after him.  Not sure if it is worth it.

#4 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

I'd like to think that with the roster crunch coming next year, we could trade some of those pieces (which happen to be top 20 prospects in our system) to the Mets for Matt Harvey. If they could get a return that is equivalent to the Dickey trade, that'll put two blockbuster trades under their belts in back-to-back years. Let's face it, with the way the Nationals and Braves own the East, they'll need to stock up on talent for later.

Harvey

Samardzija

Wood (L)

Vizcaino

Jackson

That looks like a good rotation.

Harvey

Bailey [FA]

Samardzija

Wood (L)

Vizcaino

That looks like a FINE rotation.

#5 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

If the Mets would listen to offers for Harvey EVERY team would be calling why would we give up two of our top 3 (Bryant can't be traded for one year)? And would another team have closer to the pros and better prospects than we could offer?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#6 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

I live in New York and everyone here is ecstatic about Harvey and also Wheeler. Players have said that he is Verlander-esque if he stays healthy and Wheeler is supposed to be just as good. Why would the Mets, who are rebuilding like the Cubs, trade two young potential ace pitchers?

#7 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

So the Mets want to stockpile talent for the future by trading away their 24 year old ace? Doesnt add up to me and if it did they would basically take the entire Cubs system and Castro to pry him away

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I agree.  I can't imagine the Mets letting Harvey go right now.  And if they did, one would have to wonder why.  This guy is too good just to simply trade away.

#9 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Plus he and Wheeler actually give the team something to market. I think they will pass Wright as the face(s) of the franchise next year. Thats huge marketable for a team that lets not forget is really a business trying to make money

#10 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Plus he and Wheeler actually give the team something to market. I think they will pass Wright as the face(s) of the franchise next year. Thats huge marketable for a team that lets not forget is really a business trying to make money

Not to mention they have Noah Syndergaard and Rafael Montero who many people haven't heard of. Syndergaard projects to be a top of the rotation starter, so with those three and Niese 4 and Montero 5, Their pitching could be the best in baseball in a few years. 

#11 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

They also have deeper guys that no one has heard of like Domingo Tapia and Cory Mazzoni. They have some talented arms they just have struggled to develop any bats since Wright

#12 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

There is absolutely positively undeniably 100 percent guaranteed no shot in a billion chance the Mets would trade Harvey...you could offer them Baez, Soler, and Almora and they would say no...

If he blows out his arm, you may be able to get him

#13 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'd like to think that with the roster crunch coming next year, we could trade some of those pieces (which happen to be top 20 prospects in our system) to the Mets for Matt Harvey. If they could get a return that is equivalent to the Dickey trade, that'll put two blockbuster trades under their belts in back-to-back years. Let's face it, with the way the Nationals and Braves own the East, they'll need to stock up on talent for later.

You realize that Harvey is 24, right?

To put it another way, how pissed would you be if the Cubs traded Harvey after this year?

#14 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

You realize that Harvey is 24, right?

To put it another way, how pissed would you be if the Cubs traded Harvey after this year?

But Jed and Theo are smarter than any other GMs so they can pull off getting young aces and studs for scraps 

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Cant use Smyly's numbers in relief and compare them to starters numbers. His stuff can play up out of the pen and he doesnt have to turn a lineup over.

He pitched very well last season mostly as a starter.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).