Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

When Theo and the rest of his mates took over the Cubs in the fall of 2011, it was very common for most analysts(both professional and casual) to point to 2014 as the season when the Cubs should be able to start contending.

Time flies...and BOOM...2014 is not that far away...and as we look to 2014...ah, it might look a bit like 2012 and 2013. here are some reasons for my gloomy 2014 outlook: 

- if the Cubs do have a fire sale of starting pitching...unloading Garza and Feldman...where are they going to get those other starts?

- odds are, the gift that keeps on giving, the Alfonso Soriano contract, will still be on the books...one more year at 19 million...

- who the F#$% plays in the field?...Schierholtz is a  name brought up as a trade target, but he's one of the only guys on this team that can hit!...Tell me a position on the field right now(other than 1st base) that you feel good about? Catcher?...doesn't walk and average(at best)defense...Barney? Castro?...the problem with the Cubs team right now is they are loaded with guys who you would really want on your team...if they were fourth outfielders or surrounded by good hitters...think about that for a second...they are ALL like that...just insert any name and it completes this sentence...You know____________, would be a very valuable player if he batted 7th or 8th...

- Castro and Rizzo aren't stars yet, and may never be...

- it's great that we are loading up with prospects, but most...if not all, are a few years away...low to high A..

Now, this really doesn't bother someone like a patient person like myself...( in fact, the longer they don't win a World Series, I can add a reason to my book!)...but have you been to Wrigley lately? I went last week and the upper deck was half-full...I don't ever remember being the only one in any of the bathrooms at Wrigley...the conditions were quite spacious...which was actually very comfortable...

yet, I doubt the Ricketts like it that way...

#2 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Cant really argue any of these points but its a little early to say Rizzo and Castro arent going to be stars (you did say may not so im sort of putting words in your mouth). They are both 23 and have shown flashes of brilliance. They have also shown flashes of horrible horrible baseball but these are things most guys work through in AA or AAA where players of their age should be.

Dealing Garza (which Im against) and/or Feldman (which I am for) wouldnt be too big of a problem in my eyes. Obviously with both being a FA after this year there is the chance that both would leave via FA anyway so why not get something for them and go to the scrap heap for the rest of 2013 starts (woo hoo better draft pick!!!)

Reasonably I expected 2015 to be the first year of competition, whether it be faux-competition like the Pirates or real-playoff race competition. Soriano's deal will officially be off the books and we will have a better idea of what we have with our top prospects. So my expectations for 2014? More of the same. probably not what people want to hear but its the truth

#3 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

We can trade off parts for prospects that are easily replaceable through free agency next year... and/or we can sign them through free agency next year if we like those parts.

#4 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'm not sure 2014 will be the first year they are in the running for a play off spot, but I do think it will be the first year when they aren't in fire sale mode at the trade deadline.

#5 Mr. Gonzo

Mr. Gonzo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Like most of you, I always viewed late 2014 as the best case scenario for the first glimpse of a competitive team, when we see the youth movement start getting called up and showing flashes of their ceilings. But that, for me, hinged on a healthy Garza getting dealt last year for a great package, and Dempster's deadline deal going swimmingly -- both yielding nearly MLB-ready prospects we can add to the core. 

Unfortunately, best case scenario didn't play out... and one of the juiciest pieces the Cubs did land, Vizcaino, is dealing with unfortunate, yet eerily familiar, setback as well. I still think we get a glimpse late next year, but that still hinges on Bryant living up to expectation, Baez figuring out his K/BB rates and Soler (the Great Cuban Hope) coming close to the hype. As a life-long Cubs fan, I have come to see best case scenarios to be as far-fetched as Kate Upton stripping at my bachelor party.

Since Castro and Rizzo are glorified in the media and amongst fans as the saviors to lead us to the promised land - we can't help but cringe when they struggle, and shit our beds. Hopefully Castro gets back to form and Rizzo becomes a perennial All-Star, but in reality they could very well be the back-end (easier outs) of a WS-competing lineup in the future. That would be nice, eh?!

I try to never get my hopes up too high with the Cubbies, but I do believe that 2016 is going to be the first season the Cubs are considered playoff contenders from Opening Day on... 

Mr. Gonzo

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

I don't think Schierholz walks enough to figure into the team's future plans.  Better to just sell high on the guy.

#7 Internet Random

Internet Random

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Reasonably I expected 2015 to be the first year of competition, whether it be faux-competition like the Pirates or real-playoff race competition. Soriano's deal will officially be off the books and we will have a better idea of what we have with our top prospects. So my expectations for 2014? More of the same. probably not what people want to hear but its the truth

I've heard that Hoyer tells folks in casual conversation that 2015 is when to expect a competitive team.

My Ignore List:
Crockett, mountsalami, sans

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

I've viewed 2014, for a few years now, as the year we start playing .500 ball with post season from there. If this doesn't happen. Then I will be upset.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

I've viewed 2014, for a few years now, as the year we start playing .500 ball with post season from there. If this doesn't happen. Then I will be upset.

This. I see 2014 as highly similar to this year, where if just a couple things go right (but fewer thing need to go right than this year) we will be in the thick of it.

Castillo isn't a bad option behind the dish without any sure fire upgrades out there. Fangraphs recently came out and said he was above average at receiving, Rizzo and Castro should bounce back (which, really Rizzo is a BABIP fluctuation away from performing exactly as he did last year), theo and Jed have shown an ability to find undervalued guys to plug in here and there, the minors should start producing talent (via trade, most likely) and its about damn time something breaks the cubs way.

#10 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

This. I see 2014 as highly similar to this year, where if just a couple things go right (but fewer thing need to go right than this year) we will be in the thick of it.

Castillo isn't a bad option behind the dish without any sure fire upgrades out there. Fangraphs recently came out and said he was above average at receiving, Rizzo and Castro should bounce back (which, really Rizzo is a BABIP fluctuation away from performing exactly as he did last year), theo and Jed have shown an ability to find undervalued guys to plug in here and there, the minors should start producing talent (via trade, most likely) and its about damn time something breaks the cubs way.

I know all the metrics say he is above average defensively but has anyone seen it? He looks terrible to me

#11 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I know all the metrics say he is above average defensively but has anyone seen it? He looks terrible to me

What kygavin said.  Why the heck is he always trying to backhand pitches in the dirt rather than shift his body to block the pitch??

Please don't feed the psychos.

#12 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

I haven't watched enough games to speculate on his blocking abilities but he is good at turning balls into strikes and keeping strikes, strikes. 

#13 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I don't care what the metrics say. Till he gets out of his crouch and learns to move his body(square up shoulders cupped in) to block pitches in the dirt hes just another catcher to me. He has improved leaps and bounds from when he first came up but he has some bad habits that he keep reverting to. 

#14 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

2014 should be interesting indeed.

It might be...

#1. We could have Giancarlo Stanton in RF on Opening Day.

#2. We could have a high-end FA starter in our rotation.

#3. We could have Alfonso Soriano playing for another team.

It could be...

#1. We could be buyers come the All-Star break.

#2. We could have a stocked farm system from the upcoming trades.

#3. We could be playing more night games at home.

It is!

#1. Our top prospects move up the system, closer to MLB action.

#2. A break out star, with a break out season grabs our attention.

#3. We dominate the NL Central and bring the Pirates, Reds, and Cards back to earth!

#15 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just curious, who is actually a legit free agent target this year?  As in, who will likely be a FA and who can we afford, as well as who we will want to go after.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).