hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

The Cubs and NY Giants finished this season tied, so an extra game determined the NL Pennant. Ultimately, Jack "The Giant Killer" Pfiester outdueled HoFer Christy Matthewson, 4-2 (which I'm thinking was a shoot out for that time) as the Cubs won the pennant.

In case it's buried too well, what year did this occur?

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I'm thinking 1908 because they played a makeup game as a result of Merkle's boner

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm thinking 1908 because they played a makeup game as a result of Merkle's boner

I think that's right.  I think Merkle was a rookie that year.  I wonder what kind of record Pfiester actually had against the Giants to get that nickname.   

#4 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

Crazy '08 is a fantastic book.  I might just read it again...

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

1908 is correct. I haven't found much about how he got his nickname, yet; however, according to the baseball card on his Wikipedia page, he signed his name John (which appears to be his real name) and this:

On September 23, 1908 against the New York Giants he pitched a complete game, allowing five hits, all with a dislocated tendon in his pitching forearm.

Also, according to a Cubs.com article in 2008, Pfiester only pitched the first inning of the game, Brown, apparently, received death threats from the Mafia and begged to pitch, Chance relented so after Pfiester gave up a run in the first, Brown pitched the rest of the game.

#6 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

1908 is correct. I haven't found much about how he got his nickname, yet; however, according to the baseball card on his Wikipedia page, he signed his name John (which appears to be his real name) and this:

On September 23, 1908 against the New York Giants he pitched a complete game, allowing five hits, all with a dislocated tendon in his pitching forearm.

Also, according to a Cubs.com article in 2008, Pfiester only pitched the first inning of the game, Brown, apparently, received death threats from the Mafia and begged to pitch, Chance relented so after Pfiester gave up a run in the first, Brown pitched the rest of the game.

Interesting! 

#7 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

Interesting! 

Ya, when I was reading the article (here is the link (fail for not posting before)) I was fully expecting him to want to go in to through the game.  Money quote from Brown:

"'Get the hell out of the way,' I bawled at them as I plowed through. Here's where you black-hand guys get your chance. If I'm going to get killed, I sure know that I'll die before a capacity crowd."

#8 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Crazy '08 is a fantastic book.  I might just read it again...

I agree it is a fantastic book. If any Cub fan has not yet read it, you owe it to yourself to do so soon.

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

I've read "More Than Merkle" - which is all about the 1908 season, but not Crazy 08.  Is that just about the Cubs and the pennant race or the whole league?

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Speaking of baseball books, if anyone is ever interested in reading about baseball history, you would be hard pressed to find anything better than the trilogy of "American Baseball" (Voigt). All three volumes are really well done. 

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think that's right.  I think Merkle was a rookie that year.  I wonder what kind of record Pfiester actually had against the Giants to get that nickname.   

Yeah, he was 19... wound up playing for the Cubs later in his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).