MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

Lets use this thread to post beer reviews and use the BEER, BEER, BEER thread to discuss the rest. I'd really like to hear some reviews of some beer so I can get my beer guy busy on ordering me some new beers. Pictures would be appreciated (check out BeerAdvocate.com if you need a good pic or what your reviewing)

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

I want more dead cat stories.

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

My absolute goto, favorite beer for over a year now is Huma-Lupa-Licious by Short's Brewery out of Michigan. It is an AMAZING IPA and worth trying to track down if you get a chance. It is powerfully hoppy, but the hops are well balanced with hints of grapefruit that gives the hops a sweet after taste. It is really a beer that shows its power after the first pint. Please find this beer if you can, its tough to get outside of Michigan but a good beer guy should be able to track some down. It might even be something I could send your way in a beer trade.

Posted Image

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#4 dreese

dreese

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDekalb/Arlington Heights

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

DEAD CAT STORIES!

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

It might even be something I could send your way in a beer trade.

Oh, reeeeeeeeally? Do tell...

#6 Ron

Ron

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Twitter:@RonPSchwery
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

My new favorite brew. I just found this the day before yesterday and it is awesome. Southern Pecan by Lazy Magnolia out of Mississippi.
http://lazymagnolia....eer.php#bpbeer1

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

It is like a smoother and a little sweeter than a Newcastle. Very tastey and is now gone.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

My new favorite brew. I just found this the day pefore yesterday and it is awesome. Southern Pecan by Lazy Magnolia out of Mississippi.
http://lazymagnolia....eer.php#bpbeer1

Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

It is like a smoother and a little sweeter than a Newcastle. Very tastey and is now gone.

Sounds yummy, I'll have to look into this

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#8 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

I do love a good Nut Brown Ale, I will have to go on a Southern Pecan hunt!
Please don't feed the psychos.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

Any of you familiar with North Coast Brewing (Fort Bragg, CA)? I'm not sure what their distribution is like. I dusted off a cellared 2009 Old Stock Ale last night... reeeeeeeal nice. (Cellaring beer is a new development for me, and I'll admit it feels odd to do, so I have to stick the bottles well at the back, behind the wine, otherwise I'll end up drinking them willy-nilly.) North Coast's Old Stock Ale is a strong ale, and while the high alcohol isn't offensive to the palate, it *is* noticeable (~12%). Remarkably smooth for such a strong beer though. If you can find the new release (2011) in your local shop, grab two 4-packs. One for this weekend, one for next year(s).

Link: http://www.northcoas...OldStockAle.htm

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

Any of you familiar with North Coast Brewing (Fort Bragg, CA)? I'm not sure what their distribution is like. I dusted off a cellared 2009 Old Stock Ale last night... reeeeeeeal nice. (Cellaring beer is a new development for me, and I'll admit it feels odd to do, so I have to stick the bottles well at the back, behind the wine, otherwise I'll end up drinking them willy-nilly.) North Coast's Old Stock Ale is a strong ale, and while the high alcohol isn't offensive to the palate, it *is* noticeable (~12%). Remarkably smooth for such a strong beer though. If you can find the new release (2011) in your local shop, grab two 4-packs. One for this weekend, one for next year(s).

Link: http://www.northcoas...OldStockAle.htm

I'm going to be asking about this with my beer guy tomorrow, sounds impressive. I'm typically not big on high abv beers but when done right they can be quite impressive. Do you cellar beer frequently?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Do you cellar beer frequently?

*AHEM*!

(Cellaring beer is a new development for me, and I'll admit it feels odd to do, so I have to stick the bottles well at the back, behind the wine, otherwise I'll end up drinking them willy-nilly.

::rolls eyes at MG::

Anyway, got a sixer of Anchor Brew. Co.'s Humming Ale while camping this past weekend. Now Anchor is a pretty ok brewery, and Anchor Steam is a Bay Area standard, but it's rare that I'll order a pint of it at a bar, and rarer still that I buy a sixer, but Humming Ale? that intrigues me. It said it was hoppy, so I figured, what the hell.

In the end? Meh. Not bad, but it seemed just like an Anchor Steam with added hops. Heavy on the caramel, light on the piney/skunky hops. So by all means, give it a shot, but don't buy a whole case of it, kids.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

So, maintaining my North Coast Brewing kick, I picked up a 4-pack of their Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. It's strong at 9% ABV, but with deep flavor. Really delicious stuff. For those who don't drink much stout, imagine a
Guinness with a slightly thicker body, a denser taste, and a finish that almost conjures up Jameson. Highly recommended.

MG, you talk to your beer guy? I looked at their website, and they do have MI distribution.

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

MG, you talk to your beer guy? I looked at their website, and they do have MI distribution.

Sweet, I'm on it.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#14 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

So yesterday was the official end of summer, at least in my book. Why? Because I had my last Oberon of 2011 and the last couple of years I've bought a couple of cases in August and when I have the last one in September I officially call it the end of summer. So I thought that a review of a beer that never disappoints and always makes summer more enjoyable, needed a review.

Posted Image

According the Bell's website:

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Bell's pours a nice golden/orange hue with considerable carbonation that leaves a nice two/three finger head and wonderful lacing with hints of sediment. But that's just the presentation, the real joy is in the taste. At first sip one notices the citrus and wheat, but those first flavors are then nicely blended with noticeble hops and more complex fruit tones. I've always tasted some grapefruit after a few drinks, but it is the slight hop tones that really make this beer a stable of summer. It's easy to drink, completely refreshing and the best beer to drink outside on a summer day. Oberon should be easy to find since Bells has a wide distribution network, but you'll have to wait until next summer to find it since its only brewed during the summer.

Remember - Support Michigan's Struggling Economy: Drink Michigan Beer!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#15 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

I have enjoyed Bell's Oberon. Probably because my unrefined palate can not detect any grapefruit. I hate grapefruit!
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).