#46 ferrets_bueller

ferrets_bueller

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

I stumbled into this Chicago brew at a Walgreens
in Marion, Arkansas. This Walgreens had one of the largest selections of beer wine and liquor that I have ever seen, it was amazing. Anyway, the beer is 312 Urban Wheat Ale bottled by the Goose Island Brewing Company out of Chicago, IL. It was really smooth and very pleasing to the palate. I am not the ephicianato (sp) tha MG is and am certainly not as eloquent so here is the link and description.

Brewer's Notes:

Densely populated with flavor, 312’s spicy aroma of Cascade hops is followed by a crisp, fruity ale flavor delivered in a smooth, creamy body. This gives 312 a balance of flavor and refreshment that never fills you up and won’t let you down.

Recipe Information

Style: Urban Wheat
Alcohol by Volume: 4.2%
International Bitterness Units: 20
Color: Hazy Straw
Hops: Liberty, Cascade
Malts: 2 Row, Torrified Wheat

Serving Suggestions:

Preferred Glass: Tall
Food Pairings: Salads, Fish
Cheese Pairings: Fresh Chevre, Buffalo Mozzarella
Cellaring Notes: Enjoy within 180 days (Just for you TWC)

http://www.gooseisla...an_wheat/16.php

and a review from a beer geek...312 Urban Wheat pours a hazy yellow gold that is about two shades darker than straw, and is topped by two fingers of white foam. Since this is hoppier than most wheat ales, that foam stays around for quite a while and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. Though this "unfiltered" wheat beer looks a tad bit too filtered to score a perfect 5/5 for the style, it nonetheless looks quite healthy. A 4/5 it is then.

The aroma is not much---like most other beers of the style. It is hard for me to find impressive American wheat beers (except for a few witbiers), especially when they're pale wheat ales. The slight hint of Cascade hops I smell makes this a little better than others of this style, but not much.

The taste is a different story. The Cascade hops are more prominent on the tongue than in the nose, and 312 is a better beer for it. The hops give a slight citrus flavor. I also taste the "torrified wheat" this is made with, though barely. There is something akin to vanilla in there too, perhaps from the yeast (which is otherwise completely neutral). The mouthfeel is the least impressive part here---too light without that fluffy feel you get from a good German wheat beer. This is not supposed to taste German though, so it gets a pass.

312 Urban Wheat gets a lot of flak from beer geeks for not being flavorful enough, for not tasting like a hefeweizen, for being bland. Well, it isn't supposed to be (and the company does not claim it is) a hefeweizen, or anything German for that matter. At 4.2% alcohol, I don't think Goose was intending to brew a flavor-packed beer, and in the realm of American pale wheat beers this is about as flavorful as it gets. It is not gold, but it is refreshing.

My take, it is good, got a buzz on only 4 (was working in the sun all day) and would definately drink it again and still am enjoying No. 5.

312 is what got me into beer, originally. However, its still a bit...commercial. Especially since its been sold to one of the major companies (cant remember which one). When I first had it, I thought it was amazing. But, now, a few years later, that I've gotten really into micro and craft brews, its simply decent. Nothing to write home about, but vastly, vastly better than Bud or Miller or such.

#47 ferrets_bueller

ferrets_bueller

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

So...guess who lives about 10 minutes from 3 Floyds? This guy. Be jealous. Be very, very jealous.

The only Floyd's brew that I've had that i didn't like was Gumballhead. Not a fan of the aftertaste, at all. But then again, i think its just really hard to make a wheat beer that tastes good across the board.

My current favorite beer in all the world is not, in fact, a FFF beer, though- although this does come with a disclaimer. Its Bell's Special Double Cream Stout. Best taste, feel, aftertaste, I've ever had in one beer. Most stouts that I've had have either been too sweet, or the taste is overpowering, or they leave a bad taste, or....but this one is perfect. Subtle and creamy.

Now...the disclaimer/caveat: I've only recently gotten into stouts. And as a result...I've actually yet to try any of FFF's stouts. So, while Bell's is definitely #1 currently, it could get knocked down.

My top 5 beers at the moment (subject to massive change at anytime, lol):
1. Bell's Special Double Cream Stout (perfect beer for drinking beer, to taste and enjoy)
2. FFF Zombie Dust (perfect beer to get a case and sit around with people playing games or whatnot)
3. FFF Big Black Van (great with FFF's food)
4. FFF Robert the Bruce (favorite to drink in a bar)
5. FFF Price and Joy (favorite with meals that require lots of refreshment, or summer in general)

#48 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Got ya beat ferret I'm 5 minutes from founders, 40 min from Bells, and worthwhile 2 hours from shorts

And Goose Island is owned by inBev which also own Budwiser

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#49 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Now...the disclaimer/caveat: I've only recently gotten into stouts.

I cannot recommend highly enough North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It's freaking marvelous.

Posted Image

I just checked the brewery's website, and it does appear to have Chicago & NW Indiana distribution. Drink it!

#50 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

I cannot recommend highly enough North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. It's freaking marvelous.

Posted Image

I just checked the brewery's website, and it does appear to have Chicago & NW Indiana distribution. Drink it!

I had a few of those the last time I was in Oakland. It was very good on tap. Hopefully I will be able to make it over there again next time I'm in town.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#51 ferrets_bueller

ferrets_bueller

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image

Hmmm....I'll have to look around for it. Hopefully, I can find it! The reviews sound awesome.

#52 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Some of my favorites are the brews from Flat12 Bierwerks, it's based in Indianapolis. Their upside down blonde is pretty good; they too have an IPA that is pretty good, but they have a porter that will make you cry it's so good. Another one of my favorites is Bluegrass Brewing Company Bourbon Barrel Stout, extremely hard to find outside of Louisville and greater KY area but well worth a search.
Here's some info on the beers mentioned:

Half Cycle IPA

Posted Image
  • ABV: 6%
  • IBU: 104.1

The Half Cycle is so named due to its marriage of single and double IPA characteristics. In baseball parlance, a single and double is half of “the cycle”, and this IPA is a heavy hitter. It’s a single IPA, hopped like a double, with an over-the-top hop character that’s a bit spicy, citrusy, piney, you make the call. Light in color, but not on flavor, Half Cycle is dry hopped with a pound of high alpha American hops in every barrel.

[/left]
Upside Down Blonde

Posted Image
  • IBU: 23.1
  • ABV: 5.4%

Don’t let the light color fool you, this beer has complex flavor. The “Upside Down Blonde” is a hybrid style pilsner/wheat-based beer that delivers a full body, and slight citrus notes and aroma from traditional Noble hops. Balanced and easy to drink, this Upside Down Blonde will be the most level headed decision that you make all day.

[/left][/left]
Pogue’s Run Porter

Posted Image
  • IBU: 34.1
  • ABV: 5.5%

The Flat12 Porter is inspired by the robust porters favored by the Industrial-age working men of Europe. We chose to emphasize balance from a combination of dark grains including brown malt, which was the primary roasted grain of the time. This Flat12 creation is smooth and balanced with slight roast and chocolate notes, yet it’s not heavy, just like a good porter should be.

#53 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Another one of my favorites is Bluegrass Brewing Company Bourbon Barrel Stout, extremely hard to find outside of Louisville and greater KY area but well worth a search.

I had some of this a couple years ago when I was visiting my wife's folks in central Kentucky. Not bad at all. A little sweet for my taste -- seemed almost like a malty barleywine -- but fairly easy to drink. Unfortunately, that week was >100°, and heavy beers were painful to put down.

#54 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

Since I'm in Indianapolis frequently my brothers are always trying to impress me with Flat12 and SunKing but they have nothing on the brews up in Michigan. I am however happy to see Indy embracing the craft beer movement and wish them success, but hey have a ways to go before I'd drink them over Founders or Shorts.

btw Founder's KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stouth) comes out in March! Squeal!

Also has anyone had a chance to get a bottle of Founder's All Day IPA it was released Monday in Chicago, Kentucky, and NC.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#55 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Another one of my favorites is Bluegrass Brewing Company Bourbon Barrel Stout, extremely hard to find outside of Louisville and greater KY area but well worth a search.

I had some of this a couple years ago when I was visiting my wife's folks in central Kentucky. Not bad at all. A little sweet for my taste -- seemed almost like a malty barleywine -- but fairly easy to drink. Unfortunately, that week was >100°, and heavy beers were painful to put down.

Agreed on the sweetness, but I'd like to try it again.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#56 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

A great reason to visit Grand Rapids, Michigan on March 10th

Founder's KBS Release Party
http://www.foundersb...ent=kbs-release

You will not be disappointed

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#57 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

My favorite locals right now are brewed here in Bloomington. Bloomington Brewing Co. (BBC) has a really good Java Porter and Upland Brewing Co. has a good Bad Elmer's Porter (ABV: 51 BUs: 19.6 SG: 13.5 SRM: 34).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#58 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ah BBC and Upland the breweries that got me started loving craft beer, and my time at the Irish Lion and Crazy Horse taught me much about how to enjoy beer. So long ago.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#59 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

BBC now has all taps $2.50 a pint on Sundays. Great way to try all the hand pulls, nitro and co2. You can't forget about Yogi's with their two big full pages of beer on tap. Always a good place to go before a game at Assembly Hall.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#60 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

The bar I was in last night had Founder's "Dirty Bastard" on tap.

My first thought was: "Cool, a beer named after me!"

My second thought was: "My buddy MG would want me to drink this."

It was very tasty, but had a strange effect on me. Apparently, some time during the evening I stood up on a table, raised my glass toward the ceiling and yelled "To the Goat!"
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).