T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Since this seems like the most appropriate place to suggest this, and sorry if I'm out of place with my suggestion here, or rude in even bringing it up, but here goes:

If it's not a burden to you, Brett, I think it would be a really nice addition if you would hyperlink a player's stats (b-r or FG) to his name in your articles.

I know that a lot of sites do this, so maybe it's seen as cliche or bushleague to do it, but I believe it would be a great way to keep the readers here more informed of the statistics of the players they discuss in the comments.

If you didnt want to link to 20 pages in each article (and who does?), you could just do it for players who aren't on the Cubs. For example, Mitch Moreland and David DeJesus came up in articles today, and most readers probably have only a thin idea of what types of players they are. I would assume that most people don't go out of their way to look at what a player has done, but if they could just click on a link in the page that takes them to stats, I imagine many would click it. It would lead to (more) intelligent discussion in the comments, and it would continue to advance reader's knowledge of and familiarity with some advanced stats/metrics.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

First and foremost: this is a totally fine way to make a suggestion. It's the preferred way, even. Your method and thorough explanation was spot on.

So, about the substance. It's a good suggestion, and something I've thought about (and will continue to think about). At present, if I'm being perfectly candid (and hopefully won't be ripped for it) the only reason I don't do it is a logistical one. Adding the links every time a player is mentioned could be a serious time drain, and I didn't to start unless I was sure I could do it 100%. Even if I limited it to first mentions, or non-Cubs, or some other way, making those decisions for each post takes time - a minute, let's say. Another few minutes to add the links, multiplied by four, five, six posts a day, and it starts to become a meaningful chunk of the day. There are automated ways of doing it, which I'll look further into, but I have concerns about jacking up site performance.

Long story short: it's a great suggestion for all of the reasons you said. I'm not blowing you/it off, but it's probably not something you'll seen in the near term. It's an aspirational goal.

#3 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Yea, I was thinking it was something along those lines. Hopefully there are some automated ways to do this, cause I think it'd be a neat addition. In the mean time, thanks for churning out like 20 articles today, theyre much appreciated

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thanks, TC. And a few guys got BR links in the Lukewarm Stove a bit ago. A little nod to you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).