Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Now that we know an extension is out of the question (already had a decent idea of this but for sure now); What type of return can we expect the Cubs to get? Best pitcher on the market in the last few years:

• 2012-Greinke (got Segura, Hellweg, Pena; all 3 top 10 prospects for the Brewers).
  • 2011-Ubaldo (got White, Pomeranz, and throw ins; White and Pomeranz were CLE top 2 pitching prospects)
  • 2010-Lee (Smoak, Lueke, Beavan, Lawson; Smoak was one of the top hitting prospects in baseball)
  • 2010-Haren (Corbin, Rodriguez, Saunders, Skaggs; Skaggs was the big piece but Corbin has turned into a legit MLB SP)

If the Cubs can get anything close to these packages for Garza I would be extremely happy, especially if its one like the Brewers got just last year. 

#2 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

But were these rentals or players with a year or two or more of control?

#3 Mr. Gonzo

Mr. Gonzo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Greinke was a rental, and I can only assume that is what the Cubs' starting price sits at: Three of an organization's Top 10 with a focus on near-MLB-ready SP talent.

Mr. Gonzo

#4 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Jimenez's ERA was up from 2.88 to 4.46 the year he was traded. He's a free agent next year, because his 8th year option was voided due to being traded.

#5 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I believe that Lee was a rental as well

#6 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

I love how Jimenez was considered to be such a hot commodity back then.  He really has fallen back to Earth since.  Rockies look smart for unloading him.

#7 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

I love how Jimenez was considered to be such a hot commodity back then.  He really has fallen back to Earth since.  Rockies look smart for unloading him.

His peripherals were looking not so good before he was traded.  I would say that both teams lost that trade, as nothing the Rockies got back have done anything.

#8 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

His peripherals were looking not so good before he was traded.  I would say that both teams lost that trade, as nothing the Rockies got back have done anything.

At least they got rid of him before he could bite them in the ass.  But you are right though and I agree with you.  All I am saying is that at least he isn't their headache.

#9 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Here is my guesses for the trade season, Garza gets traded for one of these deals:

Padres: Garza for Casey Kelly and Burch Smith (another minor leaguer from us)

Tigers:Rondon and Rick Porcello they would also receive Gregg

Red Sox: Anthony Ranaudo and Allen Webster (Gregg also)

Bluejays: Marcus Stroman and Griffin Murphy  (Gregg also)

Dodgers: Garza and Gregg for Joc Pederson and Yimi Garcia (I doubt this one but I would love to get Pederson)

Rangers: Mike Olt and Luke Jackson and they would get Soriano with the cubs paying 20 million of his 27 million owed.  The cubs could then switch Kris Bryant to left field.

#10 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Here is my guesses for the trade season, Garza gets traded for one of these deals:

Padres: Garza for Casey Kelly and Burch Smith (another minor leaguer from us)

Tigers:Rondon and Rick Porcello they would also receive Gregg

Red Sox: Anthony Ranaudo and Allen Webster (Gregg also)

Bluejays: Marcus Stroman and Griffin Murphy  (Gregg also)

Dodgers: Garza and Gregg for Joc Pederson and Yimi Garcia (I doubt this one but I would love to get Pederson)

Rangers: Mike Olt and Luke Jackson and they would get Soriano with the cubs paying 20 million of his 27 million owed.  The cubs could then switch Kris Bryant to left field.

Not a fan of any of these for the best SP on the market. The Red Sox one is the only one that I like a little bit

#11 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

I agree that I would love to get more but for some reason I just don't see the cubs getting much more.  I feel we have to remember that Garza is a legit #2 pitcher that is a free agent at the end of the year.  Everyone of these trades nets the cubs a top 100 prospect along with another solid 15-20 system ranked prospect.  You could always swap some names around but we can't get our hopes for much more.

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hasn't Rondon sucked in the majors this year?  So badly, that they had to send him down?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

#13 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

Rondon has sucked but he also has a great fastball and was considered a top 100 prospect going into the year.  This would be another cheap piece to the bullpen that the organization could work with.  If he was dominate the cubs could never get him.

#14 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Rondon has sucked but he also has a great fastball and was considered a top 100 prospect going into the year.  This would be another cheap piece to the bullpen that the organization could work with.  If he was dominate the cubs could never get him.

Didn't they throw him in as the closer?  Maybe they put too much pressure on him too quickly.  I know he was highly touted as early as this off season.

#15 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Didn't they throw him in as the closer?  Maybe they put too much pressure on him too quickly.  I know he was highly touted as early as this off season.

The Rondon hype was overblown. He throws hard thats it. No breaking ball and he has no idea where it is going. He is basically Henry Rodriguez who the Cubs got pretty much for free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).