Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

I agree that I would love to get more but for some reason I just don't see the cubs getting much more.  I feel we have to remember that Garza is a legit #2 pitcher that is a free agent at the end of the year.  Everyone of these trades nets the cubs a top 100 prospect along with another solid 15-20 system ranked prospect.  You could always swap some names around but we can't get our hopes for much more.

I compare it to what the Brewers got last year for Greinke. 1 year rental and he got 3 top 10 prospects from LAA, including Segura. The Cubs should get something close to this kinda package

#17 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

But LAA is a pretty dumb organization and I don't see another team making such a trade besides Det(only b/c there owner is about 100 yrs old and wants a championship (even they would not trade Castellanos for a rental.)  Did anyone else find the line that the cubs asked for "The Orioles were interested in Garza last week prior to acquiring Scott Feldman, but the Cubs asked for a package that included Jonathan Schoop and Eduardo Rodriguez in exchange: odd?  another 2b prospect?  Do you think i'm looking too much into this or is something else.  

#18 Kygavin

Kygavin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Twitter:@kygavin
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Their best 2 specs after Bundy and Gausman. Only makes sense that thats what they asked for. Plus Schoop has been playing SS and can play 3B too. Im a fan of stockpiling as many young assets as you can and figuring out positions when that time comes

#19 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

If he goes to the Padres, I'd like to see them get Austin Hedges. 20 BB to 29 K in 165 Midwest League ABs. Also has 70 arm. 

Hedges is blocked by Yasmani Grandal, so the Padres may be slightly more willing to part with him, but probably not significantly.

Hedges along with Burch Smith and Kevin Quackenbush would be a nice package and a fairly realistic one, but perhaps not even a high enough price.

#20 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I would love that return on Garza.  Hedges would be a great get and throw in a few lower ranked high upside guys that Jed drafted.  One team that shocks me that they are not more involved is the Yankee's, they are only a .5 back in the wildcard standings and could really use a solid pitcher now that Phelps is injured.  Then again looking at their prospects they don't seem like a great match.  They are not moving Gary Sanchez.

#21 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

The question is, are we going to trade Garza without a doubt or is this time a way to gauge his market value?  As in, if the Cubs get a Greinke/ Angels-esque off, they will obviously go for it.  But if they get anything short of that, will they just extend him or settle for less?

#22 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've got to guess settle for less.  I can't see an extension getting worked out, so it's either a trade or a comp pick next draft.

#23 Patrick G

Patrick G

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I would love that return on Garza.  Hedges would be a great get and throw in a few lower ranked high upside guys that Jed drafted.  One team that shocks me that they are not more involved is the Yankee's, they are only a .5 back in the wildcard standings and could really use a solid pitcher now that Phelps is injured.  Then again looking at their prospects they don't seem like a great match.  They are not moving Gary Sanchez.

The yanks have Nova in the pen and Michael Pineda coming back from injury soon. Also, they are trying toget under $189 mil threshold so they won't give up much if they most likely won't re-sign him. And last point is their pitching is probably their strong point and need some offense through trades

#24 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

I know ppl hate to hear me say this but the cubs are not going to get the return that we all hope on a Garza deal.  The cubs will deal Garza no matter what an extension is not an option.  I am standing firm with the projections I made on pg 1 unless something happens and San Diego gets hot and will part with Austin Hedges.  I would think the cubs would take that deal pay almost all of what is owed to Garza and the whole front office would break out in a syncanized dance.

#25 Rahemme

Rahemme

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

With the David Price off-season looming:

The Cubs may benefit more by trading Garza to Texas, so as to take away some of the prospects Texas might otherwise use to lure Tampa into trading Price to Texas - this might mean the Cubbies accept a little less from the Rangers than they might from another team.

Also - If the Cubs don't sign Bryant before the deadline, it could be possible we get 2 of the top 5 picks in next years draft (depending on our record this year). In turn, if we do p/u 3B Olt from Texas this year, and he does transfer well to the majors, then in next years draft we can p/u 2 top prospects (possibly even Bryant again for less $ than this year) - Win, Win.

#26 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I thought I heard that they want to put Olt in the outfield.

#27 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

He's blocked at 3B by Beltre (one of the best of this era IMO), they were gonna move him to first this year but Moreland is playing too well.  They're just trying to find somewhere to put his bat in the lineup.

#28 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'm not a huge fan of Olt but I see a deal like this getting done.  I actually predicted it in my predictions on the first page.  I would love to see Washington get desperate and offer Lucas Giolito, the thing is I am one of the biggest ppl on this site telling ppl to not expect a great return for Garza BUT this could actually work in Giolito b/c he is so young and it seems front offices are ok moving very young players for rentals such as Wheeler for Beltran.   The entire BN and cubs front office would bust out in a dance if the cubs got Giolito and I would be the first to comment that I was wrong with my previous posts.

#29 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

How about Garza to the Nationals? I sure would love to buy low on Lucas Giolito.

Edit: Did not see rizzo1664's post.

#30 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

@Rahemme I love your thinking about trying to take prospects from an organization to stop them from obtaining a bigger fish (Stanton or Price) that the cubs would love to have, but the problem is if Miami or TB wants to deal, Olt or other smaller pieces is not going to stop them.  It would be Profar who would headline the deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).