#16 Rizzo1684

Rizzo1684

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationTatooine

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I could also just be looking to much into it and they just took the best deal available but I may be onto something depending on the Garza trade since he is much better trade piece and would have a lot more offers on the table.

#17 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

I believe if the cubs waited they could have gotten a higher rated prospect as in the top 100-200 prospect rankings, but it would have been a younger guy.  What I think happened is they wanted to move Feldman early so teams would not play Feldman vs Garza down the stretch and the cubs scouts saw something in Arietta and they saw a chance to bolster the bullpen.  I still feel if the cubs were just wanting a younger higher ranked prospect they could have gotten it but it might have cost them in Garza. I found that interesting they are taking the older prospects was my main point and if they do the same with Garza by going after a Porcello type instead of a top 100 younger player then I really will be convinced they are going to seriously start trying to win that the major league level next year.  I will gladly admit that I would of been wrong b/c I really thought the cubs would not be serious at the major league level until 2015.

I get what your saying now, but its confusing when you talk about Arietta as a prospect (because he's not) and add that the cubs " could have gotten a higher rated prospect as in the top 100-200 prospect rankings".

Arietta is no longer a prospect, he is a major leaguer. So, no trade could have netter a higher prospect. 

Probably just semantics at this point, but that's where I got hung up.

#18 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

I believe if the cubs waited they could have gotten a higher rated prospect as in the top 100-200 prospect rankings, but it would have been a younger guy.  What I think happened is they wanted to move Feldman early so teams would not play Feldman vs Garza down the stretch and the cubs scouts saw something in Arietta and they saw a chance to bolster the bullpen.  I still feel if the cubs were just wanting a younger higher ranked prospect they could have gotten it but it might have cost them in Garza. I found that interesting they are taking the older prospects was my main point and if they do the same with Garza by going after a Porcello type instead of a top 100 younger player then I really will be convinced they are going to seriously start trying to win that the major league level next year.  I will gladly admit that I would of been wrong b/c I really thought the cubs would not be serious at the major league level until 2015.

I get what your saying now, but its confusing when you talk about Arietta as a prospect (because he's not) and add that the cubs " could have gotten a higher rated prospect as in the top 100-200 prospect rankings".

Arietta is no longer a prospect, he is a major leaguer. So, no trade could have netter a higher prospect. 

Probably just semantics at this point, but that's where I got hung up.

I do think it's semantics, but I also think he is assigning a prospect rating to Arietta based on his ML numbers and not his actual rating when he was a prospect.  Which only makes sense if you are trying to skew the numbers to make your argument sound better.

#19 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Numbers don't matter if they see something in the kid(s) and think they can fix (hopefully, easily) it to make them productive, major league pitchers. Especially, for a bounce-back rental and a catcher the front office was going to "start getting into it" over medicals.

#20 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I would like to think Arrieta still has the chance to be a starter.  He just needs a bounce back year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).