Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I am sure most of you out there play fantasy baseball. My chums and I have been playing since 1989...yes, I know before some of you were born. Invariably, we have always had to tinker with the league's rules because loopholes are found or competitive disadvantages pop up.

It really is no different in the modern MLB...successful teams find the competitive advantage...and exploit it...until the rule is changed.

Examples... drafting players late and overslotting them...or trading for a pending free-agent, renting him, then gaining the compensatory draft pick. Theo Epstein used these methods quite well with the Sawx...as many other successful GMs did.

Well those options are now gone...and I think we are seeing the new method...trading players for international spending money...and then spending that money to stash away very young talent.

Use it while you can, because I guarantee it will eventually be changed...and the smart guys will have to adapt again.

#2 Timothy Scarbrough

Timothy Scarbrough

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Assuming Bryant and Jimenez both sign, I really like what the FO did in the draft and IFA.

#3 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:01 PM

No question, Coach. The Theory is not "moneyball;" it is 'where-is-the-new-seam?' --and finding it before the next team sees the competitive advantage there.
It's like a Mississippi River boat heading upstream through the shifting trough of mountain-butter. Smart captains are adept at hunting easier water in the swirls and eddies appearing near the shifting shore, while yankee skippers and wild-man Westerners plow up the middle of the Big Muddy, following charts written when the mountains were still standing.

#4 Scotti

Scotti

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

No question, Coach. The Theory is not "moneyball;" it is 'where-is-the-new-seam?' --and finding it before the next team sees the competitive advantage there.
It's like a Mississippi River boat heading upstream through the shifting trough of mountain-butter. Smart captains are adept at hunting easier water in the swirls and eddies appearing near the shifting shore, while yankee skippers and wild-man Westerners plow up the middle of the Big Muddy, following charts written when the mountains were still standing.

Wow.  You must be a scrivener.  

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

A what?  Sorry, never have heard of that one before.

#6 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Likes big fancy words

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Likes big fancy words

"I'd prefer not to"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).