hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

We all either do it or have done it...included random things on resumes/applications that noone else really cares about but we think it makes all the difference in the world.

Mine is...

2003 and 2006 Time Person of the Year

This WOULD be really cool, had it not been for the millions of other people who won it each of those years.

What weird, random, strange things do you have or have you had on your resume?

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

I don't have anything like that on my resume but I'm always interested on the buzz words that are on resumes for specific careers. I'm in education so they are always filled with the following words:

Empathy, differentiation, democratic society, taxonomy, intervention among others

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

I HATE buzzwords and try to avoid them at all costs...then again I have a crappy job at Wells Fargo so what do I know.

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

I haven't finished my resume yet. I finish my externship in June, and can't start looking for a "good" job until I'm done. I would be interested if anyone has some killer resume advice, because I'm pretty much drawing a blank on mine.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

Jeez, I haven't done a résumé in 8, 9 years… maybe longer. I stopped doing them when I was repeatedly taken to task for using the phrases "Kardashian body double" and "raging pot head". Who knew?

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Jeez, I haven't done a résumé in 8, 9 years… maybe longer. I stopped doing them when I was repeatedly taken to task for using the phrases "Kardashian body double" and "raging pot head". Who knew?

Just curious. Exactly which Kardashian were you body doubling for 9 years ago? The fat-manly looking one that swallowed Lamar Odom, right?

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Just curious. Exactly which Kardashian were you body doubling for 9 years ago? The fat-manly looking one that swallowed Lamar Odom, right?

I can't help it that I'm beautiful, Jeffrey.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

I haven't finished my resume yet. I finish my externship in June, and can't start looking for a "good" job until I'm done. I would be interested if anyone has some killer resume advice, because I'm pretty much drawing a blank on mine.

It's all about writing a resume for your specific market, some professions want classic resumes others need a creative designed resume. I've looked at thousand of resumes and the most important thing for me was always being able to quickly and easily find your contact information. I'm not a fan of the objective statement,but it's still preached by many. Get your hands on other resumes of people in your field and see what works. I'm continually updating my resume (although it's more like a CV now), and I'm currently teaching a class on resume design and writing or HS seniors. So if you need more help let me know,

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

It's all about writing a resume for your specific market, some professions want classic resumes others need a creative designed resume. I've looked at thousand of resumes and the most important thing for me was always being able to quickly and easily find your contact information. I'm not a fan of the objective statement,but it's still preached by many. Get your hands on other resumes of people in your field and see what works. I'm continually updating my resume (although it's more like a CV now), and I'm currently teaching a class on resume design and writing or HS seniors. So if you need more help let me know,

I will be contacting you when I start on it. Likely around the end of January when my professor starts harping me about the importance of having a good resume. Even though I have little job history, and nothing but my externship that's related to the medical field.

#10 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

I'm in HR and accounting. Our resumes are all about being "detail oriented", "highly accurate" and the always popular "I haven't embezzled shit, honest".

As for resume advice: spellcheck!! I had a guy send me a resume that said he had experience "lying pips". It was funny on many levels. I was wondering where Gladys Knight went. However, I assumed he meant "laying pipes" and who doesn't love a guy who can lay some pipe? (sorry, couldn't help that one!)
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#11 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

A few years ago I got bored while putting my resume together and made a second, joke resume. According to it I was Secretariat, I invented oral sex and was ruler of the universe during the dark ages. When I went to email my resume, guess which one I sent.

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

This is all very solid advice. I, too, have reviewed a number of resumes, so take it for what it's worth: absolutely no typos or grammatical mistakes (you already know this, but it helps to hear it over and over again: NO MISTAKES), keep it to one page in a reasonably readable font (going to two pages (or more) should be limited to situations where you have a shit ton of uber relevant work experience, or where you're preparing a true CV), make sure it has a little bit of "you" in there.

To the last one, and the subject of the thread, I always made sure to include an interests section (which is not wasted space - it gives the interviewer something easy to start with) which noted that I am a "Former Junior Olympic Alternate Bowler."

And I am.

#13 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:32 AM

I believe you. That sounds like something nobody would ever think to lie bout.

#14 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

just change junior to special...ZING!

#15 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

I believe you. That sounds like something nobody would ever think to lie bout.

Or admit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).