6 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Pro

Adam Pro

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

With the promotion to AA, Baez will now pair up the middle with Alcantara in Tennessee. They have been 2 of the best performing minor leaguers offensively this year (Alcantara .273/.349/.819, Baez .271/.334/.870). However, they have also been appearing quite often in the box score for their fielding blunders (Alcantara 23 errors, Baez 31). Their fielding woes have taken a back seat in the headlines because of their offense production. Their defense will not hold either player back in their steps towards the big leagues, but it is painful to think how bad our infield could be defensively if we ever saw them in the same infield as Castro (hypothetically Alcantara 2B, Castro SS, Baez 3B). Castro has led the majors in errors since 2010 with 98 (27,29,27,15) while posting a fielding % of .959. In 379 minor league games Alcantara has a f% of .903 (2B .933, SS .907, 3B .803) and Baez in 157 games has a .930 (all at SS). Castro has averaged 750 fielding chances in his 2 full seasons. Alcantara would total 73 errors in 750 chances at his career f%, Baez calculates to 53. THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!!!!  Can you say position change?!?!

As a 3B, 400 chances seem to be average for full time 3B in recent years. Baez's .930 f% would bring him 28 errors in 400 chances. While still high, this would be a forgivable total if the offense is there. Aramis Ramirez posted 33 errors and a .929 f% in 2003, while also posting a .272/.324/.788 slash with 27 HR's and 106 RBI. He will remain at SS for the obvious reasons, but I (and probably several others) still believe he will end up at 3B (or the outfield) once he arrives in Majors.

As for Alcantara, a .903 f% will not be permitted anywhere in the infield regardless of offensive production. His .933 f% at 2B in 298 chances is an improvement, but still a long way from a major league 2B level. Ian Kinsler has led or been near the top in errors for 2B since 2006. He has a career .977 f% and has never committed more than 18 errors in a season (averaging 652 chances per season). 2B seems to be a more likely position for Alcantara (assuming he stays in the infield) and the promotion of Baez will move him there permanently while he is in AA. With Logan Watkins playing 2B full time in AAA, I hope that Alcantara will stay in AA, and follow his previous minor league seasons and play a full season at the same level. It’s been working so far and full time 2B is what I think he needs defensively.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I've said this probably a million times but Derek Jeter had 50something errors when he was the same age as those guys.  While he's overrated, it shows that playing shortstop is HARD and takes time to smooth out the creases.

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

I've said this probably a million times but Derek Jeter had 50something errors when he was the same age as those guys.  While he's overrated, it shows that playing shortstop is HARD and takes time to smooth out the creases.

This and errors are a bad way to judge fielding.  Looking at box scores you don't know how difficult it was to field the ball, if was a routine play, if the error was a borderline hit...

Defense is still the one area (in terms of the info normal people have) that I think is best left to the scouts. 

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:03 PM

Alcantara would total 73 errors in 750 chances at his career f%, Baez calculates to 53. THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!!!!  Can you say position change?!?!

Why?  That's inline with what we'd expect from minor league middle infielders.

#5 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

How valuable is defense really these days?  Seems to be taking a backseat to offense these days.

#6 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

How valuable is defense really these days?  Seems to be taking a backseat to offense these days.

No one cares about defense, right up to the point where it cost them a game.  Then everyone wants good defenders.

I remember when all of the "up the middle payers" were defense first.  If they couldn't play defense they just didn't play.  If the hit a little it was a bonus.  The offense came from the corners.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

This year's Pittsburgh Pirates squad begs to differ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).