#1 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

I like the new FO. I understand the motivation for trading Garza. But I still think the same reasons for keeping Shark apply to keeping Garza. Those guys in the FO know much more than all of us, but I feel like this Garza thing has got Greg Maddox written all over it.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

Maddux was many years younger, just won his first Cy Young award, and left as a free agent before the days of draft pick compensation.  Apples and Oranges.

#3 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

True, but Garza is already the fine pitcher that the team needs. If the team is so far away from contending, then they should ditch both Shark and Garza.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

The situations are completely different.

1. Maddux wanted to sign with the Cubs but the worse GM we've had in my lifetime didn't sign him... cause he was a tool and dismantled the franchise Dallas Green had built in just a couple years.
  2. Garza wants to hit the market or be paid like he thinks the market will give him.  The FO values him at 4/60M he wants a A. Sanchez like deal 5/80M... this will not happen but Garza wants to take his chances unless the Cubs go up to 70M+ (which they won't do).

If Garza was Maddux after winning his first Cy Young, then I'm positive the FO would pay him and pay him what he thinks he can get as a free agent.  But Garza is not a developing Ace, he is at his peak and will continue to be a solid number 2/3 on a good team.  

They aren't even remotely in the same discussion.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

There aren't going to be too many times where you're going to regret not extending a 29 year old SP just coming off a major elbow injury.

And it's Maddux with a u not Maddox.

#6 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Perhaps, but I still see him as a good pitcher now. If the need for prospects is greater than the need for pitchers at his quality at this time, then why would they want to keep Shark and Wood. Moving all 3 in trades would generate a huge return in prospects. Sorry about the spelling by the way

#7 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

If the FO gets the asking price they want the Cubs very well could end up with 2 pieces that add more to the team then Garza would.  Those 2 pieces would also be cost controlled for a few years.  It is not lets just trade people for the sake of gaining prospects.  Its about maximizing the teams chances of success.  Prospects fail and so there are no sure things for the future at the moment but by having a lot of prospects it increases the chances that a few will work out.  Shark and Wood are still around for a couple of years and some of the prospects will start showing up in 2014 and 2015.  By that point the Cubs will have a better idea of where they stand and make decision on Shark and Wood then.

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Sorry about the spelling by the way

Fixed the spelling for you... its the least we can do for Mr. Maddux

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

It's cool, just making sure you know.

#10 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

I understand all of that, but loosing Garza still makes me nervous!!!

#11 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Been out of the States too long, I can't spell anymore and I even forget words! I never used computers until about 1996 and by that time, I'd been here 4 years. It's actually easier to read a computer manuel in Swedish than in English! We'll see what happens with Garza!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).