Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

So how do YOU feel about the Cubs today?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel so much better about the Cubs and the direction they are headed today than I did three years ago, it is like night and day!  I am really on board with the direction the team is moving.  Back in the Tribune days, if the window for winning opened up, it would only stay open for a year or two tops.  I now actually believe that in a couple of years, the Cubs will be legitimate contenders every year.

So how do you feel about the organization these days?

Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

I couldn't have said it better, Phil. Well, I probably could, but why take your thunder away?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

It is nice to know that we won't have to depend on FA acquisitions all the time, backloading 1-year deals or mega-contracts. 

Just think, how different this would have been had Hendry started the rebuild in 2010 or if Ricketts had bought the team just a couple years earlier or if Beane would have taken that job in Boston back in 2002 (thereby not allowing Theo to get an early start on being a GM).

It's morning time in Cubs land.  We have a lot to do, a lot to accomplish today but the weather is good and the wind is at our backs.

#4 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

It's morning time in Cubs land.  We have a lot to do, a lot to accomplish today but the weather is good and the wind is at our backs.

and a bottle of rum to drink at the end of the voyage.

#5 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm opening mine right now...this way if the day goes shitty, I won't care.

#6 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

Take a look at Baseball Prospectus's Adjusted Standings.  http://www.baseballp....com/standings/

Based on actual W-L record, the Cubs are 11th in the NL. If you use BP's 1st Order W-L (actual run differential  + Pythagorean) , the Cubs are tied for 7th place in the NL---the upper half. BP's 2nd Order W-L (runs they "should have" scored based on underlying stats), they are a .500 team is sole possession of 7th place. BP's 3rd Order W-L adjusts the results for the quality of the opponents. It shows the Cubs in 5th place in the NL. The Cubs have been extremely unlucky.

When you consider the years that Castro and Rizzo are having, along the the bullpen disasters, that's pretty astounding.

I will acknowledge Kyle's lament that the Cardinal's voodoo seems to always result in them being lucky and the Cubs unlucky. Actually, the Cards have not been that lucky this year other than their .338 BA with RISP and .393 (!) with the bases loaded. That cannot last, not even with voodoo.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

NAH I'M ANGRY, JUMBOTRON, BRYANT, DRAFT,  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK, WHEN WILL HE SIGN, WHEN WILL THE CUBS WIN A GAME

THEDSVEUM IS A COLLECTION OF STUPID DUMBASSES

... damn its hard to even fake get angry with this team and the direction its headed.

oh... MARMOL, CASTRO & RIZZO = TRADE BAIT 

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Overall I feel better than I did three years ago. I've studied and learned so much more about the growing of prospects and really building from within. The only thing I'll say that I'm disappointed with is Garza leaving. I think you have to build from strength, and he is the best arm on the staff. With all the other building blocks beginning to take shape and being groomed for success, I'd like to see them find a way to keep Garza for the long term. But it isn't going to happen, so farts.

But the direction of the lower levels are heading the right way. Hopefully starting with next season things will really start taking shape up top.

#9 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

That's the right way to live. A healthy drink or two in the morning always make things better. I approve.

#10 MoneyBoy

MoneyBoy

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Can the good ship "Cubs" please not pull a "Minnow"!?!?   ON THE OTHER HAND ... if the bottle's open, Hansman, pour me one, please !!

#11 MoneyBoy

MoneyBoy

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Hey Phil !!  Yup, all the talk about 4 in the Top 20 ... and for kicks (and bored at lunch) I came up with:

Infield

Bryant, Candelario, Christian V., Baez, Alcantara, Lake, Vogebomb

Outfield

Balaguert, Szczur, Soler

Pitchers

Paniagua, Johnson, Viczaino, Wells/Maples, Rob Z

There are others I'm leaving off ...

And that's not counting 'new' faces on the ML roster ...

And someone mentioned 46 of the remaining games are outside the NL Central!!

The great majority of those names have been added in the last two years!!  It's exciting!!

#12 college_of_coaches

college_of_coaches

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I used to be optimistic abut the Cubs' future, but after reading the reasoned, articulate, and grammatically correct arguments made by Morken, Timmy, and others, I’ve changed my position.  I’ve been impressed not only with the brilliance of their arguments, and their flawless logic, but also at how generous they are with those who disagree with their opinions. 

Now, I realize the truth, that the Ricketts family is cheap and only want to make money from a losing team.  Little Theo and Hoyer are more than willing to give them a loser.  The coaching staff are all morons (and some of them, morans).  And Starlin Castro is lazy.  The only player with any heart was given away for nothing – Tony Campana.

Unfortunately, those who disagree are blinded by their cult-like fanaticism and their love for cool-aid.  They also suffer from poor personal hygiene.

#13 wvcubsfan

wvcubsfan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

What I really like about the present day team is that I don't ever get the feeling the owner is getting in the way of the front office to build a consistent winner.  I'm not going to say that Hendry didn't make mistakes, all GM's do, but IMO he gets way too much blame for things that he was directed to do by his employers.

#14 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

NAH I'M ANGRY, JUMBOTRON, BRYANT, DRAFT,  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK, WHEN WILL HE SIGN, WHEN WILL THE CUBS WIN A GAME

THEDSVEUM IS A COLLECTION OF STUPID DUMBASSES

... damn its hard to even fake get angry with this team and the direction its headed.

oh... MARMOL, CASTRO & RIZZO = TRADE BAIT 

Really admire the effort at least.  Bravo. :lol:

#15 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

I used to be optimistic abut the Cubs' future, but after reading the reasoned, articulate, and grammatically correct arguments made by Morken, Timmy, and others, I’ve changed my position.  I’ve been impressed not only with the brilliance of their arguments, and their flawless logic, but also at how generous they are with those who disagree with their opinions. 

Now, I realize the truth, that the Ricketts family is cheap and only want to make money from a losing team.  Little Theo and Hoyer are more than willing to give them a loser.  The coaching staff are all morons (and some of them, morans).  And Starlin Castro is lazy.  The only player with any heart was given away for nothing – Tony Campana.

Unfortunately, those who disagree are blinded by their cult-like fanaticism and their love for cool-aid.  They also suffer from poor personal hygiene.

And I sense a hint of sarcasm there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).